Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MEDION GOPAL PNA 210 TomTom???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MEDION GOPAL PNA 210 TomTom???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tara1082
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: MEDION GOPAL PNA 210 TomTom??? Reply with quote

MEDION GOPAL PNA 210 Hi iam new to this satnav stuff and was wondering can you install tomtom onto this device if so how easy/hard is it to do?
b1ackb1rd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, but there are issues when you have to reset or change batteries etc.

Why not load the upgrated software?

Medion AE software can be found easily and I find it's really impressive.
lewie226
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this too
b1ackb1rd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewie226 wrote:
I am interested in this too

Then use the search button my old fruit !
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopee!

I've managed to successfully install TomTom Navigator 5 & all the European maps (on a SD card) on the Medion 210 Very Happy

The TomTom software runs almost perfectly, apart from a few very minor graphical glitches.

The only real problem is it takes an age to receive a valid GPS signal; so long in fact it makes it useable Crying or Very sad

Shame, as I was looking forward to having a mini TomTom for £59.79 (from Curry's).

The trick to tinkering with your Medion 210 & being able to put it back to its original state is easy.

1) Setup your 210 up exactly how you want it e.g. configuration, options & favourite locations etc.

2) Install ActiveSync on your PC.

3) Quit any running programs on your 210 by clicking the little door icons, so you end up back at the initial menu. This will ensure that their settings are saved.

4) Poke the little reset button on the left side of the unit, so it reboots (this releases locked files).

5) As soon as it is back at the selection menu (don’t click on anything), plug the USB cable in & backup the "My Flash Disk" folder.

6) All done Very Happy

Now you can mess around with your 210 as much as you wish.

Now to restore your 210 back to it’s pre-knackered configuration is easy..

Note - Do not have the USB cable plugged in during this process. The unit must be running on batteries.

1) Firstly you will need to perform a reset of the 210.
To do this, press the recessed reset button at the bottom on the left of the unit (the stylus does the job nicely).

2. As the unit is starting up, the Medion GoPal logo will be displayed on a red splash screen, wait for the initialisation sound from the unit, & then start tapping inside the "o" for GoPal.
Note - You may need to tap the "o" several times in order to get the clean up menu to be displayed. If the menu pops up & then disappears, just tap the "o" again.

3. When the clean up menu is displayed you will need to select the option to remove all.
You will then be presented with a yes/no option, select the yes option to delete the contents of the "My Flash Disk".

4) After this has been completed, you will be returned to the clean up menu. Now chose the option to format the memory.
You will then be presented with the yes/no option again, select the yes option to format the memory.

5) After doing these two procedures, do not exit the menu (or the unit will reboot).
Instead, open the battery cover & loosen one of the batteries, just enough to kill the battery power to the unit for a few seconds.
Replace the battery & hold the power button in for a few seconds. Release the button when the power light glows orange, the unit will now reboot.

6) As the configuration file will have been deleted, it should ask you to calibrate the touch screen (a cross hair will be displayed). Do not touch the screen, instead plug in your USB cable & copy back your "My Flash Disk" data to its original location.

7) When you have completed this, touch nothing on the 210. Just unplug the USB cable & poke the little reset button on the left side of the unit again.

8) The unit will now reboot & your Medion 210 is exactly back to how it was Very Happy

Following this procedure will allow you to completely screw-up your Medion GoPal 210 (I’ve done this a few times Shocked ), and put it back to its original state.

I hope you find this info useful Cool

P.S. If anyone finds a way of resolving the issue of the TomTom taking forever to receive a valid GPS signal, I'd be very interested.
The TomTom software does find the GPS receiver on the serial port, but just sits there for ages trying to received a valid GPS signal.
I’ve tried changing the baud rate, but this doesn’t help Sad

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: