Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Automatic Itinerarie planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Automatic Itinerarie planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Automatic Itinerarie planning Reply with quote

My wife has a new job that takes her all over the state of Massachusetts in the USA. She's originally from Pennslvania so isn't very fammiliar with all the towns and citys. She's looking for a way to input a bunch of waypoints, in a random order, and have the logical routes planned for her. She is using TT6 on a Palm Zire72. Anyone know of some software to accoplish this?

Bill Conant
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people use Autoroute to achieve this. See HERE.

However you can now do a similar thing with a program called TYRE.

I've never used it so can't advise on how good it is.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi billconant
I have used Autoroute and ITNconv many times but I have never found away for Autoroute to sort the waypoints into a shortest/fastest etc route for me. No, I have had to insert the waypoints into what I think is the best route in Autoroute then transfer to Tomtom (via ITNconv).

It would be great if one could just enter the postcodes etc into Tomtom, press a button and the logical route flashed up with all the drops in order, but alas that’s just a dream.

However, I no longer use Autoroute. I use the new Google map (Not Google Earth) on http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
It really is brilliant. Having then sorted my route and waypoints on my PC to my satisfaction I manually insert them into my Tomtom Itinerary and the method works just fine. All my coming holiday routes and excursions in France have been planned this way.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. This to me would be a logical thing for mapping software to do. Geez they plan a 3000 mile across the country analyzing 1000's of roads but don't offer this basic function that I'm sure alot of delivery type people would really like to have. Anyway ,rant over, we also have Delorme Street Atlas that runs on the PC and can use it to try and plan itinaries. I was hoping there was a better way. Thanks again for the replys.

Bill Conant
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
I use the new Google map (Not Google Earth) on http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
It really is brilliant. Having then sorted my route and waypoints on my PC to my satisfaction I manually insert them into my Tomtom Itinerary and the method works just fine.

Trevor, I think you might be very interested in a little utility that was mentioned on the TomTomGo forum section a week or two ago.

If you go to Google Maps now, when you use the "Get directions" tab you can now manually drag the blue route line around to create your own preferred route and waypoints!
You then click on "link to this page" at the top right, which creates a long Web Address (URL) with your route in it. Copy and paste that URL into a little bit of free script on this guy's website and it will produce a TomTom .itn itinerary file.

I think its brilliant!Check it out here

http://houghi.org/tomtom/index.php
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
I have used Autoroute and ITNconv many times but I have never found away for Autoroute to sort the waypoints into a shortest/fastest etc route for me.
Click on Route then Route Planner and at the bottom of the Route Planner Window is Optimise Route. ;)

Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P2002 and Oldboy
Thanks for the info. It goes to show that there is always something new to learn and there is nearly always someone on the Forum that can put you on the right track. I no longer have Autoroute on my PC and as I find the Google Map brilliant I am about to follow the advice given by Andy_P2002 and try the free script on the website at http://houghi.org/tomtom/index.php to see what happens.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hi Andy_P2002
It works. The new Google Map and the convertor make planning an itinery so easy. Yes, I will be using this method quite a bit. Thanks.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at the Google solutions and they are cool but require to much fiddiling around. My wife has all her stops(nursing homes) setup in a poi folder. I'd like to see away to display those poi in a list then put a check mark next to the ones you want to visit then click 'make itenary' optimised for the best route. Now isn't that what software is for, how could TomTom not have seen this with all there years of doing this.

Bill Conant
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billconant wrote:
I'd like to see away to display those poi in a list then put a check mark next to the ones you want to visit then click 'make itenary' optimised for the best route. Now isn't that what software is for, how could TomTom not have seen this with all there years of doing this.
Well, I suppose it never been asked for in that way before. Smile

I can see the merit in it, and I think it would be quite popular. I'd rather have that, than a built in mp3 player. ;)

ddaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if its possible to IMPORT addresses into google maps?

That would then make an ideal solution with the app that can convert the route into an .itn

Thanks
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm the original poster to this thread and it has a recent post to it I thought I'd chime in on what I did about the original post. Firstly thanks to Oldboy for the idea of using Autoroute, which is MS streets and trips in the USA. Secondly someone mentioned POIEdit in another post. I used this to convert the TT ov2 files to comma delimited files that could be imported into Autoroute. These ov2 files contain all the places my wife needs to visit. Then I add the poi for the days work into a route in Autoroute and have Autiroute optimize the route, as Oldboy suggested. Lastly thanks to Trevor1234 for mentioning ITconv. After saving the route that Autoroute creates the resullting file can be input to ITconv which converts it to a TT itinary file. I then use a card reader to move the file to the SD card. This seems like a lot of work but once all the poi are setup it doesn't take to much effort to get it done. I saw a post in another forum section a few days ago that said some one is working on solution to this.
Bill

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: