Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom vs pocket gps camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom vs pocket gps camera database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspektor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Tomtom vs pocket gps camera database? Reply with quote

Got myself a new Tomtom one xl yesterday (A big thankyou to this site for helping me with my chioce) I have just spent the last hour regeristing reading instuctions and trying to pay for subscription to the GPS speed camera database, checking rechecking,rechecking and recheking my details which were said to be incorrect. After 4-5 attempts I have been told this card can no longer be used as I have tried too many times!!!!!! :x I do not have another card to use.
I need these loaded on today, so my next choice is to use the Tomtom speed cameras. I would like to know (apart from cost)what is the difference between these two databases. Absalutely gutted!
Thanks for any help.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome Thumbs Up

It sounds as though you've been 'e-chequed' as explained on this help page http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46471

Check it out and see if that is the case, it takes longer to clear.

The difference in databases is that this one is cheaper and updated more often, plus you get better backup and advice if things go wrong.

HTH

Mike

Edited once to answer second question Derrrrrrrr!!
Edited twice as after reading Mafts' reply I realised I hadn't read the first question properly either, you haven't been able to pay at all have you. Double Derrrrrr!!

Last edited by SpikeyMikey on Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you backed up your device to your PC yet? If not, do it NOW! Use Windows Explorer, rather than TomTom Home to make sure that you get a complete backup.

The general feeling is that the TomTom camera database is not worth the cost or effort. Wait until your PGPSW subscription is cleared, then load this database. In the meantime, you do not "need" to load any cameras today - you can always drive more slowly instead!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspektor: have you tried using PayPal?

MaFt
Inspektor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help and replys.
SpikeyMikey wrote:
It sounds as though you've been 'e-chequed'

I'm sure no transaction was made as it was telling me name or address or card details were incorrect.
SpikeyMikey wrote:

The difference in databases is that this one is cheaper and updated more often, plus you get better backup and advice if things go wrong.

As I suspected, I downloaded the database from here nearly 3 years ago for my old Navman and swear it has saved my license 80 times over as I drive all over the country doing over 1k a week.
Daggers wrote:
Have you backed up your device to your PC yet? If not, do it NOW! Use Windows Explorer
Yes first thing I did but only using Tomtom home. How do I do this with explorer? Plug it in to PC and copy everything to a folder? Or just certain files?
Daggers wrote:
you do not "need" to load any cameras today - you can always drive more slowly instead!!
NO WAY! I drive flat out like a maniac everywhere I go...Not really Laughing It's a paranoia thing,plus I will be showing it off to my brother later (trying to convince him he needs this same download). I'll use my 12v splitter and run my old Navman and new Tomtom together (should be good for comparison)
MaFt wrote:
Inspektor: have you tried using PayPal?

For some reason all paypal payments I have made over the last year have been payed by E-cheque, So may as well send a cheque direct to PocketGPS.
Thanks again for everyones replys. :D
Be lucky.
Inspektor
Inspektor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find it now! Does anyone have a link for an address where I send a cheque to? Did I imagine it? or does it have to be through payal?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspektor wrote:
I can't find it now! Does anyone have a link for an address where I send a cheque to? Did I imagine it? or does it have to be through payal?

Even a PayPal eCheque would be faster than the post taking into account the weekend, threatened strike etc. If you credit your PayPal account with funds first the payment will always be instantaneous, just a thought?
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this page near the bottom, method 3 I think

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php

Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspektor wrote:
Daggers wrote:
Have you backed up your device to your PC yet? If not, do it NOW! Use Windows Explorer
Yes first thing I did but only using Tomtom home. How do I do this with explorer? Plug it in to PC and copy everything to a folder? Or just certain files?

Backups made using TomTom Home have a reputation for being a little unreliable if you ever need to restore them.

So, yes, use Windows Explorer to copy everything from the ONE to a new folder somewhere on your PC. Make sure that your Folder Options are set to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" before you start, to ensure that you copy absolutely everything.

You may find it useful to repeat the exercise every 6 months or so (to a new backup folder) so that if the worst happens, you can retrieve all your settings POIs, Favourites, etc., rather than returning to the Out-of-the-box settings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: