Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sound alerts on Garmin i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound alerts on Garmin i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Sound alerts on Garmin i3 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is it possible to set up the i3 such that it will sound if there is a speed camera, but the voice prompts remain muted?

I use the i3 on my motorbike, and have adapted to not needing the voice commands (only the map), but it would useful if I maybe detected a 'bing bing' if a camera is sensed, as I may not always notice the red bar accross the top of the screen.

Thanks, Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not possible as a direct selection but there is a software tool that can take appart and re-build the voice file, if you made all the normal navigation voice files "silent" just leaving the warning sounds alone it should do what you are after, see Here for the instructions and download link. There are some lists of the file contents on the later pages of the thread I have linked to.

To edit the audio files so they are silent I would also suggest you take a look at Audacity - Mike
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm.

Thats a shame, as sometimes I use it in the car, and when the wife uses it she likes to hear the voice commands. (I find them badly timed and confusing, but the mans mind is very different to the womans!)

Worth knowing as an option though. I'll have a read of the links, many thanks.

Chris
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It is not possible as a direct selection but there is a software tool that can take appart and re-build the voice file,

Yes and no...

As explained in the main thread, I've got mine setup with the American voice made silent (insert your own joke here Laughing) apart from warnings bings/bongs.

I can effectively turn the voice on and off by switching between British and American. It make take a minute or two to switch, but it works for me! Smile
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: sounds good...... Reply with quote

That sounds like an excellent solution. I'll try that.

Only prob is I only have a Mac at home, and presume this software is all PC based.

I planned on doing at work today, but didn't think to bring my card reader. may have to wait till tomorrow, unless I can find someone who has a transflash reader.....

Chris
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: advice on Audacity.... Reply with quote

got a transflash reader.......

I have downloaded and installed Audacity and split the files using Ash's software.

Please can you tell me the best procedure in Audacity to mute the wav files? Can then be done as a batch? (Presumably none of these files are the 'bing bing' camera warning noise, as I obviously don't want to mute that!)

Thanks, Chris

EDIT: One method I have found is to apply a Low Pass filter to entire selection (Setting cut off frequency as 1Hz). Problem is:

a) This takes quite a while for hundred-odd files...but I have had a go.
b) Some files appear to be dings and dongs, so I tried to check through them and only delete ones which are definately the woman speaking.

I tested it on the way home. It seems to have partially worked. In British mode it is as normal. Switch to American and the voice directions stop - but I get no audible alert when I approach a speed camera? Not sure what I did wrong...

I've checked every single wav and as far as I can tell the non-voice ones I have not modified.

(by the way I did update the unit software this morning to 3.4 -from 3.2 I think- but I presume this can't have an impact on the camera warning sound?)

If anyone has already done this process on the american voice (Ash?), and they would be happy to send me/host for download either the set of modified wavs, or alternativly the recompiled VPM file, that'd be great!

Last edited by Chipstix on Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Chipstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have cracked it. had the Audacity preferences incorrectly set (should have read the instructions more carefully!)

I won't know if I've sorted it until I try it on the way home tonight....

C.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: