Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Corrupted SD card arghhhhh
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Corrupted SD card arghhhhh
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I find the map folder? Is if from within the TT1GPS itself where I can delete unwanted POIs, or do I have to connect the GPS to the PC and and open the POI great-britain-NI folder that has them all in? Or put the SD card in the card reader and do it through the reader instead of the connection with the TT1 GPS?

I can understand how easy it will be to keep adding 'interesting' POI until the bucket is full. Rolling Eyes

I've noticed that there are precious few Catholic Churches in the Places of Worship section. According the the GPS the nearest is over 100 miles from me!!

I'll be looking into adding my own choices, and hopefully adding to the PGPSW database.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Map Folder is the one that you said was 124MB, where you put the POIs.

You can delete POI categories from within the Device. Change Preferences | Manage POI. This will remove the selected POI and the bitmap from the SD Card.

If you have several to do it is easier to use Explorer when connected to the PC. You just have to remember that there are two files for each POI, the OV2 and the BMP. POIs are small enough that it is not always worth using a Card Reader. Just remember to disconnect correctly or you risk corrupting your Card.

As to the built-in Places of Worship you will find that there is a lot to be desired in the accuracy and sometimes the quantity.

This is why Custom POIs are the 'in thing'.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can slip the SD card in a card reader or you can just connect the TomTom to the computer (the TomTom acts like a card reader). In either case, the Home program will probably start up. Shut it down.

Now open up Windows Explorer (My Computer) and you will see the TomTom as a new hard drive. Open up the map folder. This is where your POIs are stored.

They come in pairs: a .bmp file and an .ov2 file. Add or delete as you wish.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and that is also how to count up the total number of .ov2 files in the map folder Smile
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the PGPSW 'speed camera' data, downloaded onto my SD 1Gb Play.com card, which I use all the time in my Tomtom One XL device.
I have added 'Liz' as my voice alert for cameras.

I wanted to copy everything that is on the SD card, to a safe place as my backup.
I have downloaded everything onto a 2Gb USB flash drive from Bytestor.
I also downloaded everything into a Documents Folder on my hard drive.
However, when I open either of the Tomtom backup documents it seems OK, until I try to open the Gr.Br&ROI map. Microsoft tells that there is a problem. I see files/thumbnails/lists/details, but the Microsoft warning then turns the Tomtom document shut!
Do I have to open every Folder that appears on my SD card before copying into a new main backup folder? either to the Flash USB or my hard drive.
I know I can rely on being able to download from this forum if I lose anything from my card (I kept the original Tomtom SD card which came with the device, and it stays in the box for safe keeping, together with the CD driver)
What am I doing wrong?
The Play.com SD card works fine in the device. I just can't seem to make a safe, usable backup copy of it.
There was no problem copying the original Tomtom SD card onto the Play.com SD card when I first bought the device.
Having read the comments in the forum about Tomtom Home, I do not want to bring that program into my current endeavours, for fear of causing me more problems. I last did a HOME backup about 9 days ago. In future I'd far rather use the programs and expertise from you chaps in the forum.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through FAQ #1 and #8 which detail what is needed to be done using a more reliable method than TomTom Home, the FAQ page can be found by clicking HERE - Mike
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I followed the FAU answers and I still got the Microsoft warning.
I also found a folder on my SD card that is a new one I created on the hard drive as a backup. So I had the SD card's Tomtom programs with Liz etc as well as a copy of the SD card information as an additional Folder on the SD card!!

I called the SD card up and went through this additional new Folder within the SD card itself and deleted everything in this new folder.

Prior to this bit of shenanigans, and in the meanwhile, the Microsoft warning continues to stop me when I try to open the GB&ROI map from icons to list, and the pc freezes up. I have to restart yet again and I'm gradually going round in circles.

I now go to my card reader with the SD card in it and ask what is in the card, via Explore, and the GRBR&ROI icon has vanished. So I put this SD card into the Tomtom One XL device and there is the map working quite happily as usual. Therefore, is the map we look at, always stored on the SD card, or within the Device itself? If it's in the device, no wonder I can't get any details from the SD card when I ask it to open list/details/etc.

I knew I should have stayed in bed this morning. I'm losing the plot. I had gone through the procedures that you pointed me to, but I followed them to the letter after your advice. Thanks for being so patient.

I don't drink or smoke, so it's a kick the cat senario at the moment.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, be aware you CAN'T download "anything you need from this forum"... Your maps exist on your device and NOWHERE else. Lose those and you've got to buy new ones or send the whole device back to TomTom.

Anyway... to make this a bit clearer, can I go back to first principles for a sec?

When you say "However, when I open either of the Tomtom backup documents it seems OK, until I try to open the Gr.Br&ROI map. "

Are you saying that you double click on the map FOLDER and you get this error message straight away?

Or are you trying to "open" one of the files?

What did you mean by "when I try to open the GB&ROI map from icons to list"?

What is the exact wording of the warning from Microsoft. What version of Windows are you using?
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that you double click on the map FOLDER and you get this error message straight away?
No
Your second question takes us to the problem...
What did you mean by "when I try to open the GB&ROI map from icons to list"?
I go to a yellow Folder which is named GB&ROI and right click on it. It opens into 'icons.' I then click on the small square at the top of the tool bars in order to change the icons to 'details,' and that is when Microsoft tells me there is a problem and do I want to send an error message to them. Then a second microsoft message appears saying that DrWatson has done a post mortem and there is a need to debug. Then my pc freezes.

I have now done a backup into HOME of the play.com SD card.
I then asked HOME to show me what is on my card. Amongst other things it says I have a map of Europe.

I disconnected the device, and let Tomtom start up again. I do have a map of GB and ROI.

Can I take it that your point about the map being on the device answers my earlier question that, the map is in the Device and that any additions that appear on the map, come from downloaded sites like Tomtom and PGPSW? Until now I thought that the maps and all the additional details added to it, eg: Liz's voice etc., were only on the SD card.

Fortunately I have the map, and the PGPSW additions, working.

I think I have Microsoft V6. I went to microsoft updates and the 'heading' for this pc had those words in the .....chain.......
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the reply, I'm much clearer now.

Taking your last question first....
No, when I said "device" I just meant the TomTom as a whole.
EVERYTHING for your TomTom - maps, voices, system files, POIs etc all need to be on the SD card (you don't say if your XL is one of the ones that has internal memory as well, but it makes no difference, if you are using an SD card the TomTom ignores the internal memory completely and looks on the card for everything (including its own program and system files).

I really haven't got any idea yet why your PC is behaving as it is, but my gut instinct is that it IS a PC problem rather than a TomTom problem.

If I've got it right, you are doing a complete copy of the contents of the SD card to your PC (just by highlighting everything, selecting "copy" then browsing to somewhere on your PC and selecting "paste").
It all looks like it has worked, but ONLY when you try to switch the display in Explorer, the PC crashes. Have I got it?

All I can think tonight is: does the PC do this with any other folder from the PC itself?
The TT is working, yes? So we know there is nothing wrong with the files on the card.

I suppose we should ask... what version of Windows are we talking about here? I don't recognise "Microsoft 6". Does it say "Windows 98", "Windows 2000", "Windows ME", "Windows XP", "Windows Vista" or something else on the start-up screen when you first switch on the PC?
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows XP

It all looks like it has worked, but ONLY when you try to switch the display in Explorer, the PC crashes. Have I got it?
Yes, that is it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the other questions:
Does the PC do this with any other folder from the PC itself?
The TT is working, yes? So we know there is nothing wrong with the files on the card.

If you start again from scratch, can you try this:
1. connect the TT to the PC.
2. open the TT's storage in windows Explorer, as if it was a new hard drive.
3. right click on the map folder and select "copy".
4. Browse to the PC (lets say the desktop for simplicity) right click and select "paste".

Now examine that folder as before. Does it still crash?
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I follow your last route map Smile
the error message detail says that the following is the problem

C:\DOCUME~1\JOHNH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\2229_appcompat.txt

I'll now have a go at the latest advice you've given...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Never seen a file with a name like that on any TT I've seen.
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andy, I followed your 'route' from your 11.04pm message and the UK ROI map was copied from within the device and pasted into Desktop.

The Desktop UK&ROI folder was opened and I've gone from Thumbnails down the list to Details and every request has changed the folder itinerary into what I requested.

I notice that there is a, United-Kingdom-and-Republic-of-Ireland, yellow Folder, which is showing empty when I hold the cursor over it.

The next question is, does the map that I copied and pasted come from the SD card in the Device, or from within the Device itself?

Can I test to see if that can be answered?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: