Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Corrupted SD card arghhhhh
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Corrupted SD card arghhhhh
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
himcan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Corrupted SD card arghhhhh Reply with quote

HI my first post,

I just bought a tomtom one regional. I loaded the home software and did a back up, next day the other half used it no problems, I went to back it up again after installing the speed camera locations, just to be safe. Plugged it all in, tomtom home froze.. I thought, turned it all of tried to start my tomtom now I get the dreaded red cross of doom, tried to reformat the card using my card rerader... nothing Pc won't even recognize it. card is knackered!

So my problem is, If I buy a nice 1gb sandisk ultra 11 card can I get the backup copy from the Home software onto the card? I know where the file is within the program.

It's either that or I've got to go through the painfull proces which is tomtom support.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrupted SD card arghhhhh Reply with quote

himcan wrote:
HI my first post,

I just bought a tomtom one regional. I loaded the home software and did a back up, next day the other half used it no problems, I went to back it up again after installing the speed camera locations, just to be safe. Plugged it all in, tomtom home froze.. I thought, turned it all of tried to start my tomtom now I get the dreaded red cross of doom, tried to reformat the card using my card rerader... nothing Pc won't even recognize it. card is knackered!

So my problem is, If I buy a nice 1gb sandisk ultra 11 card can I get the backup copy from the Home software onto the card? I know where the file is within the program.

It's either that or I've got to go through the painfull proces which is tomtom support.

Sounds like exactly what you need to do.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long shot, more in hope for you than anything else, but .......

the card isn't locked is it?

Make sure the tag is in the correct position, it can get knocked moving the card around.

I'd be surprised that a new card was trashed that quickly but we can all live and learn. Wink

Mike
himcan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got in touch with Tomtom, they are going to try and repair or replace it.. we'll see what happens.

Tried the tab seems fine to me? Just been out and got a Lexar Premium 1gig 60x speed SD card should be ok? I hope, going to try and get my backup onto it tonight when I Get home, If the other one is sorted I'll keep It as the master copy and in its box, once I've tested it that is.
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

himcan wrote:
Well got in touch with Tomtom, they are going to try and repair or replace it.. we'll see what happens.

Tried the tab seems fine to me? Just been out and got a Lexar Premium 1gig 60x speed SD card should be ok? I hope, going to try and get my backup onto it tonight when I Get home, If the other one is sorted I'll keep It as the master copy and in its box, once I've tested it that is.

Did it work? I ask because I have just bought TomTom One XL UK & NI. I have done the Backup onto my hard drive and I have loaded Backup folder from my PC onto my Play.Com SD 1 Gb card. That card was not cheap 2 years ago and I have cleaned everything from it that was there, leaving only the TomTom One XL copy on it. I don't want to take the 'proper' SD Card out of the TomTom One and put the copy SD into it in case it 'freezes' the Player, like the one you're discussing. I'd hate to have a problem like that within 24 hours of buying the player.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it freezes, you use a paperclip in the reset hole on the bottom of the unit. Don't be nervous. You aren't going to hurt your TomTom!
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , I feel a lot more adventurous now.
The next problem is that although the TTOne came with UK Speed Cameras pre-loaded, they do not appear on, the screen or in the POI list of the TT One. Any fixes for this pleas?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they came with the TT offering of Speed Cameras, they won't appear on the POI List. TT does it different now.

They have to be Enabled from the Plus Service Menu in Change Preferences.

You only get 1 warning sound, 1 preset warning distance Confused and, generally speaking, not as good as the PGPSW data.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy, many thanks. They now appear on the map.

I downloaded the PGPSW POI list of specific places, eg: B&Q, Shell Garage, Morrisons etc, (BUT not all of them) Being totally IT illiterate, I cannot follow the step by step guide to download them into my TT One XL.

The guidance and step by step method shown in these pages doesn't get me any further than just before the word 'Extract' appears. Is there anyone who has downloaded them to their TTONEXL?

I will start again from the beginning and download from PGPSW and follow directions, if anyone can help, please.

There's a certain irony in having to ask for 'directions' for inside my PC, in order to get 'directions' to use from inside my TTONEXL Embarassed

If you're an old boy, that makes me Methusalah Rolling Eyes
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhumph wrote:
If you're an old boy, that makes me Methusalah Rolling Eyes
I've read about you somewhere. Smile I know of some that are older than me. ;)

Right, the POIs. All TomToms follow the same method for adding, and customising, POIs. That's the good news.

Did you read either of the Pages HERE, or HERE? The second was written for the 910 but the principle is exactly the same with the exception of Text To Speech.

Now to find what you have done, and how far you have got.

Do you have the Download File, as a ZIP File, on your PC?

What happens if you Double Click the Zip File?

Does it Open a Program that shows that it has read the Zip File? Usually WinZip, but sometimes it's the Windows XP built in program.

If we start there, we can then take the next step. Smile

The one big question I should have asked is, "Have you done a Full Backup of the Device yet Question

jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the backaup several times and also Synchronise. Playing safe.
Downloaded the PGPSW POI of 'shops etc. Copied all ov and bmp and waiting to know which file to put them into. There are 2 great brit and NI files. One is 124mb with .dat and uk30 tomtom. and the other is 49mds Which one do I paste the POI files into?
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a backup onto the play.com 1 Gb SD card and put it in the GPS. I got a RED HAND. So took it out and replaced the original TomTom SD card. No problems starting!! I did this earlier, just thought I'd mention it.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhumph wrote:
There are 2 great brit and NI files. One is 124mb with .dat and uk30 tomtom. and the other is 49mds Which one do I paste the POI files into?
It would seem that they should go into the first Map Folder (124MB).

I don't know what the other (49) is. What Files are in it?

jhumph wrote:
Done the backaup several times and also Synchronise.
Where did the synchronise come from? It's not necessary. Copy/Paste are all that's needed.

jhumph wrote:
I did a backup onto the play.com 1 Gb SD card and put it in the GPS. I got a RED HAND.
Have you set the Options in Explorer to show hidden files?

jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK oldun, here we go...
I made sure that the Play,com SD Card was empty.
I put the TT1 SD card into the card reader.
I copied the TT1 SD card into a new folder in Documents.
I removed the TT1 SD card from the card reader and put the Play.com SD card in.
I then went to Documents, opened the new folder, copied and then went to card reader port and 'pasted.'
I put the Play.comm card in the TT1 GPS and it worked properly.
I put my TT1 SD card in its plastic case and filed it in the TomTom Box for safe keeping.
I now had a working, 1 Gb SD card in the TT1.
I downloaded the POIs from the PGPSW thread, ensuring that I kept the opening boxes of multiple choices, open.
I downloaded into my Documents the POI:Zip file.
I then Opened TT1 in 'my computer' and went to the POI Zip in my documents.
I opened, copied and then went back to TT1 and chose the 124 file (mentioned earlier) and pasted all of the POI file into it.
It all works.
I'll keep the original TT1 SD Card in its case and will use the 1 Gb Play.com card for the time being.
If I've repeated a bit too much in trying to describe the step by step method, I apologise.

I couldn't have done any of this without your guidance. Many thanks.

1) I have been able to use my spare SD Card that will allow much more to be added, if needed!

2) I've downloaded lots of very useful POIs into my TT1XL

3) I have my original TT1 Card as my safety net.

4) It is about time I registered properly and had a look at the PGPSW Camera options.

Thanks once again!!! :D

PS:
I've no idea what the other (49) is and I'll leave it alone.

PPS:
I syncronized because I thought it might help with the two connections handshaking. The backup will be done regularly.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have got it all worked out, just a quick word of caution, the TomTom version 6 software has a limit of 100 Custom POI Categories so keep a check on how many files you have with a file extension of .ov2 (these are the POI files in the map folder) - if you exceed the 100 limit TomTom decides which ones to make available - this usually messes up the speed camera POI's first - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: