Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPAQ 3970 ROM 2.10 upgrade difficulties
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPAQ 3970 ROM 2.10 upgrade difficulties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: IPAQ 3970 ROM 2.10 upgrade difficulties Reply with quote

I’m using ActiveSync 3.5 and USB connection to update the ROM from 2.00 to 2.10. The upgrade process has discovered that I’m on ROM 2.00 and I’ve confirmed that I wish to upgrade. I have declined to back up ROM 2.00 as I don’t think there is a need, I don’t want to go back to it.

I’ve got to the point in the upgrade where: -

Follow the instructions below to prepare the iPAQ Pocket PC for the update/restore process:

1. Remove the iPAQ Pocket PC from the USB/Serial cradle/cable.
2. Perform the following steps simultaneously
Press and hold application button #2, and the power button
Whilst holding down these buttons, use the stylus to perform a normal reset.

IPAQ screen goes red with the word “USB” in a white box at the top. The word "Compaq" below that. Finally “v0.48” in a white box at the bottom of the screen. Is this the “update mode”?

3. Reconnect the iPAQ Pocket PC to the USB/Serial cradle/cable.

Click Next to continue. Click Cancel to quit.

I’ve reconnected the iPAQ Pocket PC and absolutely nothing happens. The "Next button" stays greyed out. I’ve rebooted the PC more times than I care to mention. I’m pulling my hair out here. All cables are attached.

I’ve even deactivated ZoneAlarm Pro.

Somebody please help!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Thanks,

Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend starting the troubleshooting with removing ithe USB driver for the iPAQ (Compaq ipAQ USB sync) (to allow it to refresh)

then I would install ActiveStink 3.7.1 . (which should also do the trick with refreshing the USB driver)

(and yes, the white/red screen with ****USB*** is the right thingie. The screen will change depending on the connector you use. (Have you tried doing the upgrade via the serial port?)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thanks for your reply.

I installed ActiveSync 3.7.1 on my PC (Windows XP Professional) and it didn’t make any difference. However I then decided to use my work’s laptop (Windows 2000) running ActiveSync 3.5 via the USB and the ROM upgrade worked Confused . The only other difference is that I kept the SD card in the iPAQ although I can’t see why this would make a difference to the upgrade process. Confused

I’ve also added the SD Card Driver Update (SP25681) as well. Smile

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you finally got the upgrade installed - I believe ROM 2.10 with the SD driver fix is a good choice. I only stopped using it when I installed ROM 4.00.08 (the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade ROM).

There's various reports of people finding that they can't get ROM updates to work. Often ActiveSync 3.7.1 is seemingly the cause. Because of the issues with Microsoft's RAPI changes, I recommend not installing 3.7.1, but staying at 3.7 for now - for more information on this see this thread.

Sometimes these things just don't work properly - though I presume you had followed the advice to make sure that the cradle was connected directly to your PC, and not via a USB hub.

Not backing up ROM 2.00 was a smart move, unless you wanted to check that your setup was working. If you restore a backup of ROM 2.00, it can wipe the asset information, necessitating sending the iPAQ in for repair to get it sorted. If you really want to return to ROM 2.00, there's a 2.00 installer available on the HP web site.

David
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for the additional information, and yes I did follow the advice to make sure that the cradle was connected directly to my PC, and not via my 4 port USB hub. Thumbs Up

May I ask your advice on another question or three?

Hopefully I won’t need to perform another Hard Reset on my 3970 for a while, but if I did, would the hard reset remove the SD driver fix?

I can’t remember where the SD driver fix was installed, is there a recommended place for it.

I’m thinking of buying a second 3970 (used from Ebay) for running topographical software (possibly Memory Map 2004). If the 3970 has got ROM 2.10, how can I tell whether it’s got the SD driver fix, and if so what location the SD driver fix was installed in?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD driver fix goes into ROM using the eXecute In Place (XIP) system - it permanently replaces the faulty drivers. You should let it install to main memory - when you soft reset, the XIP file is executed to upgrade the ROM. This means the fix survives a hard reset.

So far as checking as to whether it's installed - I can't think of an easy way. If you have Resco Explorer 2003, you could change the settings to allow you to see files in ROM, then check the time and date of SDBusDriver.dll in \Windows and compare that to your machine that you know you've upgraded. Unfortunately you can't see that and other files in ROM using ActiveSync's Explore feature, nor the built in File Explorer.

The only time you need to reinstall the fix after you have installed it is if you ever reinstall ROM 2.10 - including if you downgrade to Pocket PC 2002 after installing a Pocket PC 2003 upgrade kit. I expect, though, that reinstalling it if it's already installed is benign.

David
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Many thanks for your reply. As always, your advice is very useful.

I can’t remember if I used main memory or not on my 3970. I think I used the default setting. Unfortunately I don’t have Resco Explorer, but then I’m not brave enough to start playing with system settings if I did have it. Smile

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: