Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - f20 voice alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

f20 voice alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard2552
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: f20 voice alerts Reply with quote

Hi there has any of you managed to change the chime sound to speech on the camera warnings, also can i put poi`s on a sd card to save on internal memory space.
regards John Wink
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: f20 voice alerts Reply with quote

wizard2552 wrote:
can i put poi`s on a sd card to save on internal memory space.

For 5xx devices you had to keep ini file in MyPOI directory in the internal memory, otherwise it wouldn't get loaded (not sure if this still applies to F20). However, you could move the rest of the files (.map and .bm, and .chk for ancient models) in MyPOI directory on the card. Also, I don't think you need to have ini file if you don't care about having alerts for that particular Custom POI (e.g. you may create Custom POI file with you favourite chain of fast food restaurants in which case you probably want them on the map but don't care to have an alert every time you drive past one).
Anyway, just try moving stuff from MyPOI directory in internal memory to the card -- you can't break anything, if it doesn't work just put it back the way it was. The only thing I wouldn't touch in internal MyPOI directory are ini files for subscription speed cameras.
wizard2552
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the info much apprieciated Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the F20 you need the desktop software (which is sold separately) as a "Connectivity Kit" you can install POI files with this interface but cannot put spoken alerts on to the device, swapping out files is not an option either - Mike
Ratbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For the F20 you need the desktop software (which is sold separately) as a "Connectivity Kit" you can install POI files with this interface but cannot put spoken alerts on to the device, swapping out files is not an option either - Mike

What you actually need is not so much a Connectivity kit as a new battery and a strong desire to replace it yourself. If you ever decide to do that, make sure your F20 is well out of warranty and understand that once you open it up it is very easy to make it unusable. If you're OK with that, start with peeling that sticker on the back (again, there is a reason why this is not accessible -- fiddling there is the best way to get yourself one of those internal memory faults that always end up with you sending your unit back to Navman for repairs, which they may refuse to do if your back sticker is missing).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratbert - which device are you referring to, the F20 is a fairly new unit and will have plenty of warranty remaining, also why replace the battery when the OP wants to change the speed camera alert sound?
FYI the F20 screws are on the base of the device and easily accessible (not that I have opened the one in front of me) - Mike
Ratbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
F20 is a fairly new unit and will have plenty of warranty remaining

Not if you bought it on sale as damaged, second hand or reconditioned -- you're lucky if you get 90 days warranty on units like that. Also, people who didn't pay full retail are much more likely to attempt something that could damage the unit.

mikealder wrote:
why replace the battery when the OP wants to change the speed camera alert sound?

Yes, I know. Solution to this problem is not external as one may expect (e.g. that Conenction Kit) but rather internal. People who opened their units to change the battery know what I'm talking about.

mikealder wrote:
FYI the F20 screws are on the base of the device and easily accessible (not that I have opened the one in front of me)

True, but it's much easer to just peel that sticker and expose the trap door hidden beneath... ;)
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratbert, are you on any medication?. What has that got to do with putting proper sound alerts on a Navman which is what we would like to find out. Not some ramblings about a warranty and battery screws!!??

TomTom Go 600
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Ratbert is being a bit cynical or a wind-up-merchant; I cannot believe he is posting on the wrong thread by mistake. Rolling Eyes
Ratbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korndog wrote:
Ratbert, are you on any medication?. What has that got to do with putting proper sound alerts on a Navman which is what we would like to find out. Not some ramblings about a warranty and battery screws!!??

Gee-Pee wrote:
I suspect Ratbert is being a bit cynical or a wind-up-merchant; I cannot believe he is posting on the wrong thread by mistake. Rolling Eyes

I see neither of you two had a curiosity to open your device, couldn't be bothered to use Google, or even to read this forum! What I wrote about here has already been mentioned on this forum -- see f_lez's post here (at the time of writing his post I'm talking about is the last one in the thread, Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:11 pm).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Ratbert might be referring to accessing the Internal Memory which is actually an SD card. However there is no information in the other thread on how to change the voices either.

Ratbert - It might help to be more specific in future. Vague references to threads that don't directly answer the question don't really help.
Ratbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
It looks like Ratbert might be referring to accessing the Internal Memory which is actually an SD card.

Opening your device and messing with internal memory requires not just courage but also knowledge and skill -- I thought clues would be enough for people with knowledge and real desire to do this while discouraging clueless who are more likely to do damage to their devices than to accomplish anything useful.

PaulB2005 wrote:
However there is no information in the other thread on how to change the voices either.

That was discussed in other threads on this forum -- all you need to do is search. I believe this is the most recent one and contains all information on actually changing the sounds.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: