Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using TT on a plane - experiences . . . ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using TT on a plane - experiences . . . ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBird1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Using TT on a plane - experiences . . . ? Reply with quote

Okay - Had my N95 a week now and have managed to get a copy of TomTom Navigator 6 up and running on an external GPS - absolutely fantastic. Thing is, we're off to Spain in July and while I'm looking forward to using the GPS out there I'm really curious how it'll function during the 2.5 hour flight from Belfast.

Having two young kids to entertain I could imagine it being a bit of fun to watch our track across France & Spain as we fly into Alicante . . . will TomTom be able to keep up with a ground speed of 4-500mph ?

I'd be very interested to hear from any of you that have tried the GPS onbard an aircraft and if there is any other software that you might recommend; for example I know that TomTom does not provide altitude information.

Hope to hear from someone soon Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, your TomTom program will work on board an aircraft but GPS reception is not too easy.
Firstly the airlines ask for all electronic equipment to be switched off for take off, so only when you are moving at high speed can you switch on the unit.
This makes finding your position very difficult compounded by small windows in the aircraft for the signal to come through - it is possible but please ask before switching the devices on. Some airlines are fine about this technology, others are little more backwards in their adaptation of modern technology.
A quick word about altitude, GPS isn't too good at picking up accurate height information, put the unit in a metal cylinder (aircraft) with small holes (windows) then reception will be poor, so the height information is even less accurate than normal - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used GPS in flight with good results but if you ask permission it will be refused. In the past I was willing to take the risk, nowadays with the heightened security etc you'd be very unwise to try and use one without permission.

It doesn't take much imagination to consider the implications if a passenger saw you holding a small black box near to the window and the end result could be full board accommodation with the local constabulary!
TBird1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guy's. I'll be flying Easyjet, so I guess the chance of them making an exception just for a bit of fun will be very very slim - not exactly in their rule book I'd guess - thanks for the tips of caution.

Unless . . . . Anybody out their flown Easyjet and been allowed to play with (a) Their mobile for games/music/vids or (b) the GPS & Bluetooth functionaility ?

Greatt forum by-the-way - it's good to take part rather than passive viewing !!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, bad news, Easyjet explicitly forbid the use of GPS at any stage of the flight Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Sorry, bad news, Easyjet explicitly forbid the use of GPS at any stage of the flight Sad

that's cos then you'd notice they actually flew everyone to a large, heated factory in liverpool rather than taking you to spain... it's cheaper on the fuel and if you know where you are via gps then the game's over for them!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's cos they'll rent you one for £10 a go with free pot noodle. Mind, if the pilot wants it back you have to give it up Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds more like "Yorkshire Airlines" to me MaFt Laughing
TBird1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMmmm . . . EasyGPS - has a certain ring to it, wonder if I could copyright that name Laughing
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBird1 wrote:
MMMmmm . . . EasyGPS - has a certain ring to it, wonder if I could copyright that name Laughing
Looks like somebody else thought it was a good idea Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
F70100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it on a plane. Biggest problem (as previously mentioned) is signal reception. I was able to put it on top of the instrument panel in the cockpit. The windows slope backwards and therefore have some degree of a vertical view but the signal is greatly weakened by the heating elements in the window.

So, poor signal, but once locked on the system does work. Confirmed what the aircraft instruments were telling me !
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may satisfy your curiosity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da_5QWTL-4c

Now you won't have to risk being arrested. Wink
TBird1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's another - so cool !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owFApCuJgu0
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it loads of times. My record speed is 686 MPH. 8)

Some airlines don't allow GPS to be used on board. A list of dos and dont's is here:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Here's how to do it:

Make sure you have a good lock before going into the airport. Stand outside for 5 minutes or check your satellite display to make sure most or all of the satellites are locked on. This will make it easier to reaquire a fix later on.

Hold the unit right against the window and wait. It may take a few minutes to get a lock, especially at high speed.

Some of the older or outdoor oriented Garmin units are best because you can set them to "off road" mode and it gives you a compass, cross track error, height, rate of ascent/descent etc. It also records a tracklog so you can download it to your PC and see where you flew and at what height.

Some airlines may not allow GPS use on planes others are fine with it. I'm normally discrete about using it and don't let the crew see it. When they do notice it they are normally indifferent, though once I was asked to switch it off.

You are not supposed to use it during takeoff and landing though I have recorded entire flights many times.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Skippy - thinks it fun to break the law Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I've done it loads of times. My record speed is 686 MPH. 8)

It would be a laugh if you were banned from flying over the USA, or even funnier if an air marshall shot you in the head. Now that would be real funny, and somehow ironic.

Please don't be on a plane with me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: