Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ITIS Traffic Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIS Traffic Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eeeps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Danny, is there any current testing being performed in the North West on frequency 100,4 - I am picking up signals from this frequency (WinterHill, Smooth FM) but never any data - if it is a test I am pleased to report it works well into the Fylde coast, as I am messing around with a modified receiver and external aerial it could be my set-up (only noticed the 100,4 transmissions over the past 4 or 5 days) - Mike

Interesting ...

I have a Laguna fitted with the Carminat system and until about a week ago it has worked fine (from a TMC perspective).

I now find that it regularly locks on to 100.4 (Smooth Radio) and shows no traffic information (although it displays TMC in green indicating a valid TMC signal).

I live in south east Cheshire and the signal from Holme Moss for Classic can be poor. Interestingly the freqency 100.4 is an AF for Classic (it's Ridge Hill (Gloucester)).

So is Smooth 100.4 going to be a iTMC source soon?

Cheers,

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - we live in hope, if the station is upgraded to include full iTIS data then the major problem experianced in the North West of the UK will go away, as for picking up the Ridge Hill from your current location I somewhat doubt it, its simply not viable - Mike
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was visiting my brother at the weekend and he lives at the top of a hill near Stockport.

File miles and miles, I had been struggling to get any TMC reception and then just as I pulling up outside his house, I got a "traffic jam ahead" warning - well, there were 2 cars in his driveway and I ground to a halt so I found it very amusing.

I don't know where this signal came from, but if you look in one direction you can see the Peak District, the Welsh mountains if you look the opposite way and if you turn slightly you can see Liverpool.
Eeeps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
... snip ... as for picking up the Ridge Hill from your current location I somewhat doubt it, its simply not viable - Mike

I wasn't really suggesting I could get signals from Ridge Hill - these would be swamped by Smooth anyway.

My point was that Classic identify 100.4 as an Alternate Frequency so using Smooth 100.4 is a natural choice for iTMC. If the Classic signal on 101.1 (Holme Moss) gets too weak then 100.4 will be checked by the tuner even though it is not a Classic station.
A normal radio would quickly reject this since the station ID does not match that of Classic but a TMC receiver needs to check the TMC ident. I'm guessing that Smooth on 100.4 now carries an ident of iTMC even though it doesn't carry the data.

Unfortunately the symptoms of being locked to a station that carries no data are very similar to having no signal. Also in my case I have a usable signal from Classic but because Smooth is stronger my TMC receiver locks to this so I get no alerts!

Cheers,

Ian
Eeeps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
... snip ... I don't know where this signal came from, but if you look in one direction you can see the Peak District, the Welsh mountains if you look the opposite way and if you turn slightly you can see Liverpool.

I live south of Stockport and if I drive on a road that leads along Kerridge Ridge you get a similar view over Chesire to the Welsh mountains and north over Manchester.

Here you loose Classic from Holme Moss (101.1) and start to get signals from Great Ormes Head (Wales 101.6), Sutton Coldfield (100.1) and Morcambe Bay (101.8). It really shows that these frequencies are true line of sight. (Holme Moss 20Miles at 250KW, Geat Orme 60Miles at 2.5KW)

Cheers,

Ian
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyw wrote:
perussell wrote:
Things don't get any better and I am beginning to think this whole TMC thing is a complete waste of time. Coming Westbound down the M4 yesterday afternoon between 1430 and 1600 my Mio twice tried to reroute me off the motorway based upon ITIS derived traffic info suggesting there had been 2 accidents in the regions of J14 and J15. Since my T/master Freeway had remained totally silent I ignored the re-routing suggestion and just kept going.
Result - nothing, absolutely nothing even though the accident messages were showing on the screen. No evidence of accidents or anything, no cars on the hard shoulder ( - though there was a broken down car being rescued on the OTHER carriageway outside Membury services.)
I was amused (?) to see Auto Express extolling the virtues of TMC in Sat Navs this week. In theory this is great, in practice total rubbish and it's got to the 'boy crying wolf' situation now in so far as on the rare occasions the info is actually correct I will ignore it unless my Freeway says otherwise. About the only thing that it does get right are the locations of roadworks but then that' s hardly 'dynamic' information.

On the 25th July between J14 and J15 Westbound and J15 and Membury Eastbound, we received reports of a fuel spillage. This was reporting to us between 15:05 and 16:00 for the westbound incident and between 14:56 and 15:56 for the eastbound incident.

I believe this would have been the incident which generated the icon you were referring to. Please can you tell me whether you looked at the list of incidents or purely at the icons on the map? Often Sat Nav terminals have a limted number fo Icons and may have interpreted this coded incident as an accident Icon.

Obviously we have to rely on our journalistic suppliers for the clarity of this information, these sources are checked against all available information provided by many different sources. In this case as you appear to have driven through what we were reporting to be an incident.

Can I also assure you we are continuing to investigate the remarks made earlier regarding your Mio system.

Thanks for all your help Danny.

There has been a recent Miomap software update which hasn't fixed the problem although I notice that some - but very few - messages are being displayed correctly.

Last night I noticed 2 alerts: one for Brighton to Pevensey and one for Pevensey to Brighton. I can't remember the locations in the sub-heading but I do remember that the sub-headings were identical despite the main headings describing different directions. The motorway reports are almost without exception (or maybe without exception) always faulty in terms of sub-heading and main heading direction disagreeing with each other. This problem remains with the latest Miomap update.

Can you confirm that the sub-heading direction should agree with the main heading direction?

Thanks again.

Gareth.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentnicklloyd wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Danny, is there any current testing being performed in the North West on frequency 100,4 - I am picking up signals from this frequency (WinterHill, Smooth FM) but never any data - if it is a test I am pleased to report it works well into the Fylde coast, as I am messing around with a modified receiver and external aerial it could be my set-up (only noticed the 100,4 transmissions over the past 4 or 5 days) - Mike

Not yet had chance to test with ITIS (will do today) but I have two new transmitters in Cornwall (Atlantic and Pirate FM) showing up but no data under Traficmaster.

"Upgraded" to ITIS over the weekend and will be in their transmitter area today and will be testing, if ITIS are going to use "Spare" GWR transmitters this will be intersting.

O BTW I picked up TMC on a BBC Local station then other day (Under trafficmaster) nearly drove off the road with the shock! Shocked

Pirate FM is I believe a TM provider - I used to pick it up on my Mio device before the November TMC switch to iTIS.
kentnicklloyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Pirate FM is I believe a TM provider - I used to pick it up on my Mio device before the November TMC switch to iTIS.

it would appear that is the case, no lock under ItIs today, well I think I may just return to TrafficMaster after I've moved, the service from iTIS is so patchy, Jonathan keeps saying they have a major upgrade comming but will this be before pigs sprot wings, Jonathan also says they can not send anymore data then one local zone, funny when I regraded to TrafficMaster the whole country's data came up ............ Question
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Retty"]
dannyw wrote:
perussell wrote:
Things don't get any better and I am beginning to think this whole TMC thing is a complete waste of time. Coming Westbound down the M4 yesterday afternoon between 1430 and 1600 my Mio twice tried to reroute me off the motorway based upon ITIS derived traffic info suggesting there had been 2 accidents in the regions of J14 and J15. Since my T/master Freeway had remained totally silent I ignored the re-routing suggestion and just kept going.
Result - nothing, absolutely nothing even though the accident messages were showing on the screen. No evidence of accidents or anything, no cars on the hard shoulder ( - though there was a broken down car being rescued on the OTHER carriageway outside Membury services.)
I was amused (?) to see Auto Express extolling the virtues of TMC in Sat Navs this week. In theory this is great, in practice total rubbish and it's got to the 'boy crying wolf' situation now in so far as on the rare occasions the info is actually correct I will ignore it unless my Freeway says otherwise. About the only thing that it does get right are the locations of roadworks but then that' s hardly 'dynamic' information.

On the 25th July between J14 and J15 Westbound and J15 and Membury Eastbound, we received reports of a fuel spillage. This was reporting to us between 15:05 and 16:00 for the westbound incident and between 14:56 and 15:56 for the eastbound incident.

I believe this would have been the incident which generated the icon you were referring to. Please can you tell me whether you looked at the list of incidents or purely at the icons on the map? Often Sat Nav terminals have a limted number fo Icons and may have interpreted this coded incident as an accident Icon.

Obviously we have to rely on our journalistic suppliers for the clarity of this information, these sources are checked against all available information provided by many different sources. In this case as you appear to have driven through what we were reporting to be an incident.

Can I also assure you we are continuing to investigate the remarks made earlier regarding your Mio system.

Apologies for delay in responding Danny but just back from 2 weeks of TMC free cruising around the Med :-)

Re the above incident I did look at the icon as opposed to a symbol on the actual map and this did show as an accident. (From memory) I also saw absolutely no evidence whatsoever of any kind of fuel spillage.

Look forward to hearing about responses from Mitac as well!
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I'd like to know how you see your data compiared to the new DATEXII streams that the HA are about to launch.

Having looked at them they seem very comperhinsive and provide a wide range of sources / topics.

Thanks

Terran
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I'd like to know how you see your data compiared to the new DATEXII streams that the HA are about to launch.

Having looked at them they seem very comperhinsive and provide a wide range of sources / topics.

Thanks

Terran
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like the Highways Agency traffic web site, it will be out of date, inaccurate and totally useless.

That's comparing http://www.trafficenland.com/TCC with the likes of http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/travel_news.jsp, radio traffic bulletins and other sources
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try the TrafficMastr based information from here

How many 'agencies' are collecting real-time information for public consumption?

TrafficMaster
iTIS
Highways Agency (or do they use TM/iTIS)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Highways Agency (or do they use TM/iTIS)
I believe that HA feed their data into iTIS, but cannot find any written proof of that on the net.
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A site I like is;

http://www.gtraffic.info/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: