Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Product Code for 6.75, but map is 6.60
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Product Code for 6.75, but map is 6.60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snicholls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Product Code for 6.75, but map is 6.60 Reply with quote

Oh dear, can anyone help? I have spent the last few months asking tomtom support when the tomtom one europe will have the new 6.75 maps. I already have a tomtom 5 pda you see, with all western europe maps, so my only reason for buying was to get 6.75 with the new london congestion charge.

Anyway, I went to Dixons duty free at Stansted last week, and after a chat with the sales person, we decided that the new Tomtom ONE Travel edition must have the new maps because it was a brand new product. Unfiortunately, it came with 6.60. However the product code is for 6.75. Tomtom have confirmed that.

OK, I politely wrote to tomtom, explaining the situation fully, and asked if the could help, else I return it to Dixons for a refund / exchange. On 11 June I was told "I will request for a free map upgrade for you to our 2nd line department"

Great I thought, at least I get some appreciation from Tomtom after buying four products from them. However, tomtom seem to have now frozen, with this phrase:
"We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department. Please be patient and thank you for your query"

I ask if they are backtracking, and asked for an address to write a formal complaint to. They reply:
"We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department. Please be patient and thank you for your query"

They do NOT give me the address. They do not answer my queries. They do not give me a timescale. They do not explain why or what they are "investigating". They do not confirm whether I will be getting the upgrade or not.

I would have preferred if they had said nothing, but they raised my hopes, now I am stuck in complete limbo!

I presume this is some form of packing error, because if the 6.75 card was in the sealed box."

Suggestions anyone, apart from bang my head against a brick wall?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT One Euro (V4) now comes with a Navteq 660.1256 Euro map on the internal memory or the V3 with same map on an SD card.

Have you input your Prod Code Card number into www.ttcode.com and seen it says it's v675 cos AFAIK only the XL Euro is currently shipped with 675 Euro mapping (by Teleatlas)
snicholls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
TT One Euro (V4) now comes with a Navteq 660.1256 Euro map on the internal memory or the V3 with same map on an SD card.

Have you input your Prod Code Card number into www.ttcode.com and seen it says it's v675 cos AFAIK only the XL Euro is currently shipped with 675 Euro mapping (by Teleatlas)

Yes:
"xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" is a correct product code for TomTom Map v6.7 Western Europe.

Here is my previous Q to tomtom (response at top):

The lateer maps should be availavle on the units in the coming month or , the latest map version is Map V 6.75 . It is quite difficult to ensure the map verison is on a device as sometimies stores sell older stock and so on . Please check in the device if possible that the unit has Map V 6.75 .

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 10/05/2007 09.27 AM
Thank you for your response. I prefer the TomTom One to the TomTom One XL because it is more compact. I would like to buy a TomTom One Europe. Will this eventually have a map which has the new London Congestion Zone, and if so what map version should I be looking for? Do you know when this may be in the shops? I am not in a hurry because I currently have TomTom5 with all maps on H2210 PDA, which I bought from you direct some time ago. Many thanks
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it back to Dixons as they have sold you a unit with incompatible (non-matching) map/PCC or ask TT to consider giving you a freebie.

Your call I gues.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're dealing with TT customer services here so the best suggestion IS
snicholls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One hour ago, they emailed me, they have given me a new product code and told me to download a new map.

It did take a lot of head banging to get to that point. I don't exactly feel delighted because it was what I expected in the first place, but the way I have been treated leaves a lot do be desired. I think Tomtom have a lot to learn about mamaging customer expectations. I think I would have felt more enlightened as a Guantanemo Bay prisoner!

Anyway now I have some downloading, and installing... more time

By the way the strap broke. The strap was not glued into the fitting and it came out in my hands on the flight out of Stansted. Imagine if it had broken an hour later when I was walking along a Belgian cobbled street! Tomtom said they couldn't do much about the strap, so I may give up on that. At least now I have the map, at long last!

Last edited by snicholls on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus remember the Navteq 660 you have is sooooo much more detailed & up to date than the Teleatlas 675 you think you'd like Wink
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
Plus remember the Navteq 660 you have is sooooo much more detailed & up to date than the Teleatlas 675...

Thats debateable.

Though I do find the OP's story amusing. He buys a complex device on the way out of the country, taking advice from an employee of a chain who are known for their ignorance. Laughing Out Loud
snicholls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
thebinman wrote:
Plus remember the Navteq 660 you have is sooooo much more detailed & up to date than the Teleatlas 675...

Thats debateable.

Though I do find the OP's story amusing. He buys a complex device on the way out of the country, taking advice from an employee of a chain who are known for their ignorance. Laughing Out Loud

Out oif the country for 2 days, and I got it for £172, plus I regularly pass through that airport. It was a calculated risk, and as it goes the Dixons guy was correct, it was a new product and did have the new map product code. In mid may, they had no stock, so I knew this product was new, plus it was recently launched on the Tomtom website. If anything, Tomtom made an error with the packing, so I blame them entirely.

Incidentally the map that Tomtom gave me is 944 meg, too big for the internal memory. However there are some versions available out there in the big webspace from dubious sources that are only 922 meg. Being the rightful owner of a 6.75 prod code, I did try the 922 meg version, and it did work, AND fit in the internal memory. So I am now installing the version Tomtom gave me onto an SD card with their new product code (which is also shown as 6.7 on ttcode website). I didn't really need a new product code, but now I have two Rolling Eyes

Having seen the Western Europe 6.60 version and the 6.75 version, they are both similar in size. However, much of the map detail that was taken out of 6:60 is now back in 6.75. For example, the network of footpaths on Woolwich Common, immediately west of Academy Road and north of Shooters Hill Road, SE18. They were in on UK Map 5.62, out on WE 6.60, and back in on WE 6.75, I am pleased to say.

I am thinking maybe they could not fit WE 6.75 on the internal memory, which is why they loaded them with WE 6.60, and that is perhaps why I got the strange combination of a new code with old maps. Who knows. At least now I have a sufficient combination of product codes, maps and SD cards to sort myself out with what I want. I should eventually be able to load the 922 meg version on the internal flash using my valid product code perhaps.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you NEED them, dump all the voice files except for 04 & 05.
snicholls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
Unless you NEED them, dump all the voice files except for 04 & 05.

Thanks, I did that already, but still wasn't enough space. All I left on there was the jane voice, the app itself, and the zip codes.

I installed to SD card, and to my surprise, the 944 meg zip file comes out as 922 meg!

I have now removed the SD card and put it into my laptop slot, attached the tomtom one via usb, deleted all files on the one internal, and am now copying all the files from the SD card to the internal memory.

I think the file I was sent may have extra bits for installing on other devices, OR it could have been that the postcode data was in there and I should have deleted that as well before I attemped the install. Either way it looks as if I will succeed in getting it onto the internal memory, by hook or by crook.

UPDATE
=====

Copied all to internal and it now works. All sorted. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: