Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New version Tomtom maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New version Tomtom maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davewhit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
davewhit wrote:
Also binman when you say west and central do you mean europe or Uk and Ire 6.75 cheers dave

No, I'm refering to the new West & Central Euro (2Gb) v675 being better but not the West Euro (1Gb) v675 which is less detailed than the West Euro v660.

I haven't yet tried out the UK & IE Plus major roads of W Euro v675 yet.

Is there, in fact, a UK & IE without the Plus v675 as TT does't mention one?

cheers mate will try and get them

dave
jellywobbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Offset Problem on v675 maps? Reply with quote

Hi Guys:

I have a TomTom One v2 (UK & Ireland) with v660.1219 maps (as supplied with unit) & also I have a works ipAQ 6910 with TomTom on-board.

Someone was telliing me that there is a well known "OffSet" problem with the new v675 maps .. by as much as 20-30 metres?

Has anyone here had any problems with the new maps in the UK?

Dont want to shell out hard earned cash for maps that are going to give me grief!

Thanks

JW
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Offset Problem on v675 maps? Reply with quote

jellywobbles wrote:
Hi Guys:

I have a TomTom One v2 (UK & Ireland) with v660.1219 maps (as supplied with unit) & also I have a works ipAQ 6910 with TomTom on-board.

Someone was telliing me that there is a well known "OffSet" problem with the new v675 maps .. by as much as 20-30 metres?

Has anyone here had any problems with the new maps in the UK?

Dont want to shell out hard earned cash for maps that are going to give me grief!

Thanks

JW

no problem with the UK using the WE 6.75 map - if the road is there!
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
I read on the other forum that the 1Gb Euro v675 is LESS detailed than the v660 but the 2Gb West & Central v675 is better!

yes I've tried most of them. The WEv675 is pants. many small roads and geo data (e.g. rivers) have been stripped to keep it below 1Gb. Don't waste your money on it.
The WE_&_CE_v675 (1.7Gb) is ok as are the individual maps of Uk_&_IE_plus and France_plus.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
thebinman wrote:
I read on the other forum that the 1Gb Euro v675 is LESS detailed than the v660 but the 2Gb West & Central v675 is better!

yes I've tried most of them. The WEv675 is pants. many small roads and geo data (e.g. rivers) have been stripped to keep it below 1Gb. Don't waste your money on it.
The WE_&_CE_v675 (1.7Gb) is ok as are the individual maps of Uk_&_IE_plus and France_plus.

From someone who's actually used it.
Thankyou.

So, in summary, DON'T BOTHER WITH WE v675 BUT WESTERN & CENTRAL EURO v675 IS BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS WESTERN EURO v660.

But, peeps are still saying the Navteq WE v660 is the best out there!
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
But, peeps are still saying the Navteq WE v660 is the best out there!

I've found new minor roads which exist on the V675.1409 maps but don't have names but NavteqV660.1256 has the names.
Conversely in France some minor roads I know are missing on the NavteqV660.1256. One road has been there since at least 1937.
More of concern there have been reports of major links/bypasses missing on the new TeleAtlas maps.
julf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am considering taking action (either small claims court or consumer authorities) against TomTom because of the fact that they don't tell customers about the difference in detail between "Northern Europe 6.75" and "Northern & Central Europe 6.75" maps, I am trying to document enough of deleted details. Could anyone who find differences (apart from geographical coverage) post them here? Of course, the water features are obvious, but differences in minor road detail is even more useful to collect/document.

I am also interested in differences in detail between 6.75 and 6.60.
julf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
thebinman wrote:

OK, I hereby declare all the comments about "Western Europe 6.75" having less street detail than "Western & Central Europe 6.75" or even "Western Europe 6.60" as pure FUD and misinformation.

Nobody has been able to point out a single street or road that is missing (but that is in either the Western part of "Western & Central Europe" or in 6.60.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julf wrote:
OK, I hereby declare all the comments about "Western Europe 6.75" having less street detail than "Western & Central Europe 6.75" or even "Western Europe 6.60" as pure FUD and misinformation.

Nobody has been able to point out a single street or road that is missing .....

Declare all you like if it makes you feel better
e.g. In the area in France known as Parc Nautique de l'Ailette
WE_675
http://www.hiboox.com/image.php?img=qr1txq95.jpg
WE_CE_V675
http://www.hiboox.com/image.php?img=gaxkq3pp.jpg

Other guys in Spain have reported that even one-wayness of some small
roads dissappears on the WE map
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just answered a post elsewhere about Sa Coma in Mallorca, to the same effect, namely that WE v675 has some streets missing compared with W&CE v675.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
leerichards
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
In the area in France known as Parc Nautique de l'Ailette
WE_675
http://www.hiboox.com/image.php?img=qr1txq95.jpg
WE_CE_V675
http://www.hiboox.com/image.php?img=gaxkq3pp.jpg

I agree that there has been a lot of talk and not a lot of facts, but now we have the indisputable evidence from vroomfondel and others. You want a map of France, France is in Western Europe therefore you purchase the Western Europe map for 100 Euros. You don't want Central Europe as you'll never visit there even though it is only 10 Euros more. Afterwards you find that the WE&CE map has more detail for France than your map does! Clearly, this is a major issue. How on earth will TomTom explain this away?!?! At the very least, everyone who purchased the WE map should be given the option to pay the extra 10 Euros and upgrade to the WE&CE map.

Lee
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leerichards wrote:
.... At the very least, everyone who purchased the WE map should be given the option to pay the extra 10 Euros and upgrade to the WE&CE map...

You've also got to add in the cost of a bigger SD card, at least 2GB.
They seem to stripped it down to make it fit on customers' existing 1Gb SD cards.
The other striking difference on the WE map is the missing topological info e.g. woods and in some cases rivers.
leerichards
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. TomTom need to make it clear on the map page what are the actual requirements on the C&WE version, but also make it clear what is missing from the WE version. We the customer need this information so we can make an informed decision. I imagine a lot of people are feeling a little bit hoodwinked and I think they have every right to do so. I think TomTom are on dodgy ground from a legal stand point. What does everyone else think? Is there some hidden small print on the website that would cover them? In my mind, taking France as an example, it is perfectly reasonable to assume based on what TomTom have said that the coverage for France on the WE map, is identical to that of the C&WE map. As we've seen, that simply isn't the case. Missing topological info, ok I guess most people could live with that. But missing roads? A definite no-no I reckon. It would be good if someone with the time and inclination took TomTom to task over this.

Lee
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leerichards wrote:
At the very least, everyone who purchased the WE map should be given the option to pay the extra 10 Euros and upgrade to the WE&CE map.

I actually bought both WE and W&CE maps for my GO710 and 700 respectively - I simply thought they were slightly different names and I didn't actually notice the difference in price between the two until long after I'd submitted and paid for the order.

So today I've written saying I made a mistake and could I get the W&CE map for the 710 for the difference of about £6. I'm not getting grumpy about different coverage until they decline.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
julf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:

e.g. In the area in France known as Parc Nautique de l'Ailette

Excellent! Thanks! Now I at least have some real ammo!

vroomfondel wrote:

Other guys in Spain have reported that even one-wayness of some small
roads dissappears on the WE map

Again, actual examples would be useful.

Julf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: