Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you guys are buying these and we're starting to get real feedback! :D

I'm a little sad to hear you aren't blown away with the satnav side of things but (very) pleased to hear the speed camera info works well.

Just out of interest the B2 wouldn't always speak the speed camera type ... only if you were exceeding the limit by a certain theshold. Is it possible that when you approached the Truvellos you were going slower than the other cameras?

What is the screen update like? By that I mean as you turn corners is the unit quick to turn the screen round to the new direction? This was something else that I was dissapointed with the Syrius when compared to a new Tomtom Go unit.

Are the spoken navigation instructions good? (in terms of voice quality and good/useful instructions)

Finally, is there any chance at all of some photos? This would be of massive use especially as you said it was smaller than you expected.

Cheers again!

Craig
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use TT's itinerary function, you can set multiple "waypoints", IE points you would like to visit, flyby, pass on your way to you destination. It gives you more granular control of your journey. The "Touring" function, as far as I can see, is really only similar to TT's Advanced Planning function. This allows you to set your Start and End points without a GPS signal. I don't use the Itinerary function that much, but to have the option available would have been nice.

As mentioned earlier, I need to look into the SatNav part abit more.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi craigpenton

Quote:
Just out of interest the B2 wouldn't always speak the speed camera type ... only if you were exceeding the limit by a certain theshold. Is it possible that when you approached the Truvellos you were going slower than the other cameras?

Yes, you are probably right there, I may well have been under the speed limit whilst approaching the Truvelo. I will try and test that out soon.

Quote:
What is the screen update like? By that I mean as you turn corners is the unit quick to turn the screen round to the new direction? This was something else that I was dissapointed with the Syrius when compared to a new Tomtom Go unit.

As for the screen updates, they are faster than my TT Go 300, but don't forget thats only a 200Mhz processor - I believe the PogoDrive is a 400Mhz. Also, PogoDrive's display, when the display is slightly behind its actual position, catches up rather smoothly, unlike the jerkiness of the TT Go.

Quote:
Are the spoken navigation instructions good? (in terms of voice quality and good/useful instructions)

The spoken instructions are clear and pretty much precise. The female voice does not grate on you in any way. Some instructions, like approaching a roundabout, were given out quite early, especially if you were travelling towards it at say 70mph (A10 for example near Buntingford). I think I had an initial instruction at 1200yards - TT gave it out at 700 or 800 yards max.

Quote:
Finally, is there any chance at all of some photos? This would be of massive use especially as you said it was smaller than you expected.

I will try and get some pictures out ASAP.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff BB, within a day of having this you have been the only person I have been able to find so far that actually giving an indepentant review. Every site I have gone to re the pogo trying to obtain a review has only given the official description and blurb. With computers and such like it seems that before the product is released to the market it first gets a trial and review by some magazine i.e. the "computer shopper" I'm surprised for instance that Pocketgps, haven't been given advanced unit for testing rather than Darren now having to obtain one.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, pictures as requested:

PogoDrive & TT Go 300 side by side:

Side on view of the two units:

Rear of the PogoDrive with GPS Antenna in the raised position and
the speaker:

The SatNav display with a Gatso alert:

The SatNav display with a Truvelo alert:

Hope this helps.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should ask for a job with Pocketgps with this sort of performance and commitment BB. Well done.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one NN Smile - don't think the "ball & chain" at home though will let me out that often Crying or Very sad !!
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks BBQKing! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and photos ... a massive help to me and I'm sure many others! It does look smaller than I thought it would be too.

Out of interest does the unit ship with software to manage settings/POI from a PC? I would also love to read through a PDF manual. I asked Pogo directly a few days ago and they said they didn't have one (yet). I presume this hasn't changed and there was no PDF manual included?

Anyway, thanks again and sorry for asking lots of questions Wink
rushkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQKING

Great review well done, looks a nice bit of kit. Looks better than my TT and sounds as they it performs better. As for the warning of the speed cameras it sounds like it gives you all the benefits if the DS and the TT in one, apart from the mobile sites. Doesn't PGPSW cover the pogo drive or is it a similar sort of problem as they are having trying to do a database suitable for the DS.

By the way out of curiosity can safety vans detect the speed of traffic in both directions or is it only one way like the Gatso. Also at what distance can they record your speed.

Regards
rushkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuttynurse

Glad to hear you may well now be sorted. Clap

Have a good holiday. Mr. Green

Regards
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The only software that comes with the unit is the database download software. I've also checked for an electronic form of the manual on the disk, but nothing is supplied. I can only deduce that the POI's are amended/updated/deleted via the downloads as well. There doesn't appear to be anyway to add your own via the PogoDrive.

However, you can browse the PogoDrive's SDCard once linked to your PC via USB - interestingly enough, the card has been partitioned, so when its linked up, 2 removable drive letters show up in the My Computer window. One drive for the actual PogoDrive application, and a few .INI files, and the other appears to show the map and map data. By the looks of it, if someone were able to work out what files did what, and how they could be manipulated, you just *may* be able to add your own POI's yourself. Be aware though, this is just speculation on my part. Its only what I see in the directories.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rushkins, I let you know how I get on. And thanks again BB for your excellent contribution. Can I blame you later?
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttynurse wrote:
Thanks rushkins, I let you know how I get on. And thanks again BB for your excellent contribution. Can I blame you later?

Only if you are nice about it! (Laughing Out Loud)
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to be nice, but for whatever reason I FAIL, so try to be understanding.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries NN - at the end of the day, a users review is one thing, and I can only guide you to your decision but the proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating. Only you will be able to decide for sure if its a worthy product or not once you have tried using it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: