Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not very impressive Garmin customer experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not very impressive Garmin customer experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfaholic wrote:
Update:

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to stop the bloody windscreen mount falling off the windscreen all the time...

Wink

Someone on another forum put a rubber washer between the edge of the suction cup and the surround and claimed it worked.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfaholic wrote:
@JoshT: Do I think the TT One V2 is superior? Having used both, yes, I do. I prefer the smoother scrolling maps, I prefer the touch screen interface and the one I used (my brother's unit) worked beautifully, no problems at all, plus the windscreen mount is much more sturdy!

Well it's down to preferences I guess - Id rather have a GPS that routed correctly ie 2 minutes Garmin Nuvi) versus 30 minutes (TT one v2 UK) anyday (both devices set to fastest/quickest routing) than have fancy bells and whistles.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfaholic wrote:
Quote:
Now all I need to do is to figure out how to stop the bloody windscreen mount falling off the windscreen all the time...

Now you have the i3 sorted, treat it to a decent mount HERE, i don't know how any one can drive with the Sat Nav covering a section of the screen. This mount will elliminate suction marks and not be so obvious to thieves. Other than glue the suction pad will never completely stay on the screen as the plastic is prone to different temperature variations, it's ok for short journeys only. Additionally, if you were to have an accident, i dread to think of the damage that Sat Nav could do flying around inside the car to you and the passengers.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I was looking for!

What a neat little mounting solution, I also thought I'd route the cigarette lighter charging cable through behind the dash as I did in my old alfa 156. This might be a bit more tricky to do in my current car (BMW 330CI) as there are less nooks and crannies to rout the cable through, but I'll give it a go...
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="portman"]
Alfaholic wrote:
Update:

Wink

Actually the solution is very low tech AND inexpensive! (although to some a bit disgusting) You just need to spit on the suction cup before put it on the screen! ok, you dont have to overdo it, just a little saliva!
It will definately do the trick and it WILL NEVER fall!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tsdinos"]
portman wrote:
Alfaholic wrote:
Update:

Wink

Actually the solution is very low tech AND inexpensive! (although to some a bit disgusting) You just need to spit on the suction cup before put it on the screen! ok, you dont have to overdo it, just a little saliva!
It will definately do the trick and it WILL NEVER fall!

That's OK in the summer when it is warm, but in the winter when the plastic is hard (doesn't matter how warm in the car - the w/screen is still cold) this doesn't work. Maybe OK on short journey's but not long ones, and you still have those thieving g*t's viewing the suction marks.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, my little i3 is getting pretty old these days and has travelled many, many thousands of miles with me. Cold mornings are always the worst, saliva or not. Strangely it is better behaved in the BMW than it was in either of my old Alfa Romeos, but even so it does have a nasty habit of falling off the windscreen about 30 seconds after it has been stuck on. My record for re-applying the suction mount broke the 25 times barrier one morning last winter... I might have been just a teensy bit annoyed that morning, especially as it was about 5:00am and I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me.

Luckily I don't have to do anywhere near as much driving for work these days and the new voice on my i3 is much more calming than the slightly bossy voice that plotted my progress around the country for so long.
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the "saliva" solution with both snow condition and hell-like heat (in Greece) and never fell! well.. there is always the factor of how clean the suction cap and the windscreen is, as dust and dirt can affect its grip. Also if the suction cup is damages (scars, scratches etc) it will also reduce significantly its grip. The only thing I could suggest in such cases is to buy a dashboard mount unit
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sad to report that Garmin called me today to inform me that it would cost £73.81 to fix my little i3. Yes, this would mean getting a new unit, but I'm sorry, I really can't see the point in paying £74 for a Streetpilot i3 these days.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth plumping for a Nuvi 300? How do they compare to the TomTom One and can I use my City Navigator V9 to update a new Nuvi with European maps?
stehanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of interest - Ive got a reception prob with my unit keeps losing signal, ive tried the usual and mailed garmin over a week ago since I bought it on ebay I have no yellow sticker or official receipt, so how will, I fare regarding a warranty repair, given I cant prove its under 12 months but as its a nuvi 660 I dont think tyey have been out a year yet - any advice cheers Ste
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct the 660 was not out a year ago, but it won't be long until that year is up, so best thing to do is to ring Garmin - it's possible the unit simply needs a firmware upgrade, or a full reset, but Garmin are best to advise.
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm really wound up!!

Garmin customer care? Do me a favour....

I recieved my Streetpilot i3 back from Garmin today after requesting that they did not repair it (as detailed above) only to find further damage on the unit. I then phoned up and complained but have been told that the unit left the workshop the way it arrived and that I am wrong in thinking that it has been damaged on it's trip back to Garmin.

Now it's my word against theirs I guess, but they definitely broke it when they had it and now they're denying all knowledge of it.

Who said Garmin Customer Care was any good? So far, to me at least, they have been bloody awful and actually quite insulting by insinuating that I am lying.

:x
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfaholic wrote:
only to find further damage on the unit.
What was the further damage?
Alfaholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The further damage related to the ball clasp which is at the centre of this whole issue. It was partly damaged when it was sent to Garmin but came back to me completely destroyed.

Regardless, I went away, calmed down a bit and called Garmin back explaining that I was particularly dissapointed with my customer experience. Eventually I was put through to a supervisor and I explained the whole situation to him. The upshot of which is that, after further explanation and discussion, he agreed to replace the unit.

I am grateful that this has all been resolved now, but still feel that it could have been handled much better.
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mixed Garmin customer care. From spending an hour in a queue and then getting nowhere to them saying "no fault found" on my out of warranty quest returning it FOC yet the broken antenna was fixed!

I,ve currently got problems with my nuvi not pairing with my phone since updating the firmware and it's like talking to brick wall and I never got a reply to my email contact either.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: