Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Uh-Oh, How Long Before SatNav is Targeted By Police?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Uh-Oh, How Long Before SatNav is Targeted By Police?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80flo wrote:
How many times have I (and you!) been driving along, looked in your rear view mirror, realised that a police car had driven up behind you, then looked at your speedometer and realised you were doing 32mph. result £60. + points. Is what I have just done the action of a criminal?

And you have got a £60 fine and 3 points for doing 32 mph? Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:

Although I keep to speed limits as accurately as possible, even using cruise control within 30/40 limits where possible, we all have the ability to slightly lose concentration and wander over the mark, a few mph over is three points and a fine,

Can you be more precise as to your meaning of a ' few mph'

Quote:
the Government argument over these cameras being only in dangerous or blackspot areas is laughable – it is a money making exercise and there is no doubt about that.

To a point I agree with you, some cams are in silly places, BUT if people didn't speed there would be no 'money making' to be had, so whose fault is that, the speeders or the police?

Quote:
I am not talking about the speeding driver, which I assume to be well in excess of the speed limit, which is different.

So a guy that slaps his missus once is ok but a guy that slaps her twice is different? ( I know that comparison is OT and irrelevant but you get my drift)

Quote:
How does this compare with drink/drug drivers, car thieves, hit and runs and whatever else you care to name – it doesn’t.

Yes it does, you choose knowingly to break the law by speeding, just like a drink driver knowingly has a drink and drives, wether he has one whisky or ten whiskies the amount is irrelevant.

Quote:
If you condemn the former motorist as a “true” criminal, are you telling us you have NEVER crept over the speed limit in all your motoring days – I doubt it.

I have never said I have never gone over the speed limit nor have I said I am not a criminal, some people just make wrong assumptions, the fact that I had to go to court stand in front of a judge and get convicted makes me a criminal wether I like it or not.

Quote:
But by driving recklessley (sp) the accident WAS carried out with intent, obviously without knowing the full scenario I can't comment, I am only going on the above statement.

Quote:
As much as I feel hate for the driver who killed my daughter and friend, (they were passengers, he was their work friend) I’ve got to admit he was absolutely no different to me, you and the rest of the motorists out there.
At the inquest it was determined that the subsequent reason for the accident was a split second lapse, where he either turned his head to talk to them, or fiddled with the radio. The driver hit a tree; at the time of the accident there was no other vehicle involved.
According to you, the accident was carried out with intent, I’m glad that you are not a magistrate or judge, as you would be fighting for a police state and have us all locked up.

Now hang on!!! lets keep things factual and in perspective here, I have left my quote in this reply and it quite clearly states that I couldn't comment without knowing the facts, so where from my comment did you get what you have said above about locking everyone up and wanting a police state? It was YOU who said she was killed by a reckless driver, not me.

Quote:
As you have a Sat Nav, I would be interested to know whether it is used on your coach when you can carry 50+ passengers, or with your family in the car, if so you must look at it or touch it. Maybe you are the ultimate “model” motorist who NEVER exceeds the limit at all costs, but as I found out with my daughter there is many other ways to have an accident, carrying out tasks we all take for granted. Maybe Skippy is right using a Sat Nav is also dangerous.

Yes it is used on my coach and my car, and yes I do look at it and no I never touch it whilst driving (why would I want to?) BUT if I had an accident whilst looking at it then I would be breaking the law, your point being?

I have already commented your wrong assumptions regarding me driving over the speed limit.

I find it amazing that if people have different views on speeding people always assume you are trying to be holier than thou, thats just not the case, I don't agree with paedophiles does that make me holier than thou?

I drive many miles in a year all over Europe and I see many different driving styles, we all know about the french, spanish and italian etc but none in my honest opinion compare to the selfish drivers in the UK, I have seen a car with Mum,Dad and two young kids fly past me at about 80 on a narrow country road on double solid white lines, get in front, then slow down and hold me up!! why? because they didn't want to be behind a coach Evil or Very Mad Now that driver put ALL his families lives and other road users at risk just to get in front of a coach.

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
It's a bit like saying that 'I've never told a lie in my life'.

It's nothing like saying 'I've never told a lie in my life', get real.

To old to die young.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with classy56, probably because as an ex bus/coach driver I learned that speeding doesn't always get you there quicker. Many a time I was overtaken, dangerously, whilst driving my bus, only to catch them up at the next set of lights. I used to make a point of giving them a Clap . Often caught them up at the next set too. :D 'Encore'. Clap Clap
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Quote:
Can you be more precise as to your meaning of a ' few mph'

I am only talking about the “tiddly” bit to give you a fine, I thought that was obvious – does any one really care about the exact amount.

Quote:
To a point I agree with you, some cams are in silly places, BUT if people didn't speed there would be no 'money making' to be had, so whose fault is that, the speeders or the police?

I can see where you are going but I still believe you are a model “goody-goody” motorist who has still somewhat lost the plot, or winding me up.

It is obvious that we should not speed, it is obvious the police have it on their side to make as much money as possible, here lies an opening for them to plunder and it is definitely a dam site easier than catching muggers, burglars and even murderers, but if you think a motorist who exceeds the line by a minute percentage is a criminal than there is not much I can say.

I can only add that, I, like 99% of the world and this forum; consider our selves human and like others of our kind make mistakes, if you drive a powerful car (don’t ask why – nobody is interested) a small touch of the throttle goes a long way, it isn’t always safe to use cruise control, if you drive under the speed limit motorists get upset.

I wouldn’t like to live in a world of robots, which can do EXACTLY as they are told and keep to it.

Quote:
So a guy that slaps his missus once is ok but a guy that slaps her twice is different? (I know that comparison is OT and irrelevant but you get my drift)

As you state “OT and irrelevant”. What was the point of that?

Quote:
Yes it does, you choose knowingly to break the law by speeding, just like a drink driver knowingly has a drink and drives, wether he has one whisky or ten whiskies the amount is irrelevant.

Again you are not with us, I didn’t realise if you drive you aren’t even allowed one drink. You sure that you aren’t a preacher; you will be quoting the bible next.

Quote:
I have never said I have never gone over the speed limit nor have I said I am not a criminal, some people just make wrong assumptions, the fact that I had to go to court stand in front of a judge and get convicted makes me a criminal wether I like it or not.

Now it is getting interesting, been speeding, you have been a naughty boy.
What did you go to court for, hope it didn’t hit the headlines?

Quote:
Now hang on!!! lets keep things factual and in perspective here, I have left my quote in this reply and it quite clearly states that I couldn't comment without knowing the facts, so where from my comment did you get what you have said above about locking everyone up and wanting a police state? It was YOU who said she was killed by a reckless driver, not me.

It just your views, the speed limit is the limit and that’s is it, as you stated above if you drive then it is no drink – not even one, the law does allow a margin on the end, (this is the bit under discussion) so it looks as if you arrange the law to your own interpretation. You have no flexibility, with no compromise, I am sure you are very nice person (so don’t be offended) but you come across as a bigot.

I used reckless as the coroner used it, but the driver certainly wasn’t paying attention whilst driving.

I agree that today’s driving takes some believing, I drive less now but have registered up to 55,000 miles a year and have driven since 1969, before that motorbikes, so like you have seen some odd things.
Even worse is the bad manners, not being let out at junctions, not stopping for pedestrians to cross, cutting up cyclists, exciting on motorways at the last possible time, tailgating, I can go on…..and on…..

Best of luck with the coaches – don’t fiddle with the Sat Nav, many lives are at risk

Wish I owned a camera I could give up work!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
. . . exciting on motorways . . .
Wish I owned a camera I could give up work!

Surprised Laughing Surprised
Samsung Galaxy S21
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry teacher,

I can't spell, that should read exiting

Thanks, can i go to the toilet now.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I'm with classy56, probably because as an ex bus/coach driver I learned that speeding doesn't always get you there quicker. Many a time I was overtaken, dangerously, whilst driving my bus, only to catch them up at the next set of lights.

it got them to the lights quicker ;) and it got them in front of you ;) Rolling Eyes Laughing

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80flo wrote:
How many times have I (and you!) been driving along, looked in your rear view mirror, realised that a police car had driven up behind you, then looked at your speedometer and realised you were doing 32mph. result £60. + points. Is what I have just done the action of a criminal?

But you would in reality be unlikely to get stopped let alone reported for that. That's where a human police officer wins over a robot camera that has no discretion.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley_Tweedle wrote:
On TV I saw a case where a lorry driver ploughed into a line of stationary traffic on a motorway, completely squashing the car in front and killing the occupant. Police noticed his cab mounted mobile radio phone was set in one of it's menu's and the driver eventually admitted he was fiddling with the thing instead of keeping his eyes on the road.
Obviously this shows the dangers of using distracting gadgets and I can see that fiddling with a sat nav. would also be evidence of driving without due care etc..

Indeed so but there is legislation on the books already to deal with such cases, driving without due care. There are any number of things in a car that could distract a driver, the stereo, the aircon, the trip computer but there is little sense in legislating for each seperate item.

All of these and a satnav can improve driver concentration when used sensibly and there is no need to treat satnav as a special case. Mobile phones are different because you can't use them for a second or so.

Two-way radios are not the same as cellphones but there are solutions that allow handsfree use of them and I see no reason why they couldn't be made a requirement if there was evidence that their use was a factor in accidents.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it got them to the lights quicker and it got them in front of you

MaFt
:P

Quote:
80flo wrote:

But you would in reality be unlikely to get stopped let alone reported for that. That's where a human police officer wins over a robot camera that has no discretion.

I refer to the polite answer I gave earlier.

Quote:
I think what you have just done, in adding your comments, is to have drifted away from reality somewhat.

I was going to add figures to dispute the ticket for 32mph. Assuming speedo could be 10% out, a true 30 would be showing 27. The cameras are set to the 30 + 10% + 2mph - Total 35. To be doing a true 35 the speedo whould have to be reading 38.5mph. So people would have to 'drift over' by 8.5mph, as shown on their speedo, before having to Smile for the Truvelo or Moon for the Gatso.

And I never commented on
Quote:
How many times have I (and you!) been driving along, looked in your rear view mirror, realised that a police car had driven up behind you, then looked at your speedometer and realised you were doing 32mph.
I use my rear view mirrors on a regular basis and notice vehicles, police or otherwise, a long time before they drive up behind me.

And as for bad driving. Earlier today I had a driving instructor pull out from a turning on my right, causing me to brake quite hard. The road behind me was completely clear, not another car in sight. A mile or so further on and he turned left without indicating. God help us all if his pupils pick up on his wonderful professional driving habits.
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF - Thanks for being so candid. I must commend you for sharing something that must be diffcult to talk about. Well done. You do live in "the real world". Smile

Let's not get blurred vision here lads/lasses. The static roadside "blackspot" Laughing camera IS NOT RUN, administered or controlled by police. Irrespective of their location. If it's a police officer operating the camera then that IS the polices' responsibilty.

In general, roadside speed cameras are the property of the local council/authority. So it is a money-making exercise. You only need to ask a Leeds City resident who had 10 gatso's and 2 Truvelo's setup on an 8 mile stretch from Kirkstall to Yeadon. Oh by the way thats in 1 direction not both!

The council will argue that it's at accident blackspots but I travel that road on a regular basis (at least ance a week but sometimes 3 times a week) and in 17 years of doing this I have seen 2 accidents (and both non fatal, I used to be ambulance staff). The conscience of the council must have been prodded, as some cameras have now been removed.

Police are not the bad guy's in this case. The council's are....

regards,

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, our friend in his coach, and others, could be...(be careful...not saying he is...) using CB radio, which apparently is deemed by the authorities to be safer to use than a hands free device....work than one out.
And as for the comment of UK drivers being the most selfish...(I can't remember the exact words) well, I too, have spent years driving and flying around the world, and have to totally disagree...the difference in my opinion is that many nations have no problem with you cutting in in front of them or vice versa...they certainly wouldn't get out and harass you...more like in Spain, they would get out to shake your hand for an excellent close miss.
And if our friendly coach driver hasn't been aware or seen that around certain parts of Europe, then his eyes are obviously not on the road.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got in from work, will reply to all the nasty and sarcastic comments very soon, got to keep my strengh up with some dinner Wink

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

it got them to the lights quicker ;) and it got them in front of you ;) Rolling Eyes Laughing

MaFt

And it will get them a loss of license quicker and an early grave quicker and a smack in the mouth quicker from someone less tolerant than me.

tut tut for a team member I expected better Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: