Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade from 1 Gb SD card supplied to 2 Gb card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade from 1 Gb SD card supplied to 2 Gb card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mio350user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Upgrade from 1 Gb SD card supplied to 2 Gb card Reply with quote

I have purchase a Mio 350 with the Mio Maps 3.2 supplied on a 1 Gb SD Card. The European maps use almost all the card. I have a Datawrite 2 Gb card and have copied all the data from the 1 Gb card over. On inserting into the PDA and asking the Map function to run it always comes back with hardware ID changed and will not run. Both cards are formatted to FAT32 and I have given the new card the same name as the old. Any ideas please. Assume I've missed something -- the supplier Handtec just fob me off to Mio.
Gilgen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also new to GPS and have a similar problem. I have bought a Medion GoPal460 (Very impressed so far) and also have a 1G SD Card installed and am trying to change to a 2G SD. I formatted the card to FAT 32 but so far have been unable to transfer the data from the old card to the new. It comes up with an error that the media is not suitable for these type of files.
I have tried using Windows Explorer on the PC and also Activesync but get the same error.

My only complaint with the Medion is the manuals. Pretty useless!

At least Mio350user you have managed to get the files on the card.

Any advice gratefully received.
Mio350user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now been advised by Mio that the Mio Map software as supplied on the 1 Gb card is specific to that card and that it is not possible to transfer the data to another card as the card has it's own ID which it is not possible to copy. Has anyone got a way to crack this one?
Gilgen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Copying card Reply with quote

Mio350user
I think this might work, it has for me, download a copy of DriveimageXML (its a freebie) and do a backup of your card to hardisk
Then do a restore to the 2Gb card. I had a slight problem getting the restore to work but when I did a format in disk management it worked fine. The programme will guide you through it.
Mine took 5 hours to run but the result was worth it.
My 2G card runs with no problems. I now have to install the speedcam software.
Mio350user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Back up Mio Maps to new 2 Gb card Reply with quote

Thanks for suggestion to use DriveImageXML. When I had got it I could not see how to use it to sort the problem. I used it to format the new card and then used my backup program to copy files to harddrive as suggested and then restored to the new card. Same old problem -- hardware ID changed! Did you have the MioMaps provided on a 1GB card with it identified with a paper label as coming from Mio? How did you take 5 hrs to copy data? Have I missed something?
Gilgen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually have a Medion but it gave me similar problems when trying to copy the files to a 2Gb card.

I used the DriveImageXML because to does a byte by byte copy as opposed a file by file copy. In my case the 2Gb card is an absolute copy of the 1 GB and it worked straight away when I inserted it in the satnav. I didn't even have to do a soft reboot it assumed it was the original card.
I used a card reader as opposed to activesync. I assumed it took so long as it was doing an image copy and not a file copy.
Mio350user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. I tried again both using driveimagexml. First used it to copy the data to hard drive and then out to the new drive -- result was hardware ID changed. Then original storage card to new storage card -- then PDA says insert SD card when I have already inserted it. On putting in the original card it still works OK. At least it is a different error message. I'm assuming that at least when I got the ID changed message that it recognised it was an SD card loaded -- so what has changed? Beats me.
timbellina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've e-mailed Mio about this a couple of times. Apparently, the copy of Miomap that we get is locked to a particular SD card - and that happens when it is installed on the card. So every copy of Miomap is very slightly unique.

SD cards carry an unique identifier. On the Miomap card it's printed in black on the back. There doesn't seem to be any way of duplicating that identifier.

Legally, though, as I've got a license to run MioMap 3.2, I wonder whether I'd be okay using a dodgy copy on a 2Gb SD card. I'm sure Mio think I wouldn't - but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't stand up in court. I've paid to use Miomap - I'm just not using the copy they supplied me with.

What I can't understand is why Mio don't offer to exchange a 1Gb card for a 2Gb one - even at a cost. That way, we could all leave our legal Miomap cards in their slots, and not have to carry spares, and swap them over, which I'm far from keen on.

Their decision to lock down the software is understandable, but their decision not to allow genuine users any way of upgrading is the kind of business decision that, in the end, drives a company like Mio out of the arms of "IGo" (who make Miomap) and into the TomTom camp.

Let us know if you have any joy - I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail.

Tim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: