Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin C510D Traffic Reciever Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin C510D Traffic Reciever Problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sicknote2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Garmin C510D Traffic Reciever Problems Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to this forum, because I have just been given my first Satellite Navigation system for Christmas, a Garmin Streetpilot C510 Deluxe. Although the unit is generally excellent, my traffic reciever seems to be playing up. Often I do not get any traffic information at all on the list, and when I go in to the menu and look at the provider, it says Âö۰۰ or TM TMC. When I go in to subscriptions, it says I have a lifetime subscription to RAC Live but it has not been activated because it is waiting for a signal from them whilst having a satellite signal. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me.

Many thanks,

Greg
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAC subsciption will go live automatically, you don't need to register or anything. As far as the 'Âö۰۰' goes this showed up on mine, guess its normal. Set mine to 'automatic' most of the time, sometimes changed it to 'TM TMC'. If you read through some of the other threads on the forum you will see that signal strength is hit and miss mainly because of the antenna and partly the FM coverage around the UK.
Sicknote2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can direct you to my comment
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52097

Basically on this forum you will find a number of ways to improve aerial performance (although I am still trying to find a converter to the Garmin mini USB) but unless you are in the area to receive transmissions, you have problems.

The notes indicate the various transmitters and you can find the maps for those in your area. If you want to see TMC working go to the closest transmitter area.
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in assuming that the TMC service is free if 'Lifetime Subscription' is shown in the provider list? (My first experience with TMC)

Should I see any extra detail on the rolling map? I can manually view traffic using the traffic button though I would have expected to see something on the main screen.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a lifetime subscription is exactly that (it's not free, but you have already paid for a permanent licence).

Depending on your unit will depend whether you see anything on the main map screen - you used to, but many units now have new software which doesn't. You should see traffic events by pressing the blue diamond in the bottom right of the menu screen, or if there is traffic on your already calculated route, you will see a red triangle on the map screen.
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C510 just shows a 'two car' soft button for traffic info and I have to navigate two screens before showing traffic in my locale,do I need to change a setting or do a firmware update.

BTW I seem to have reception issues as detailed in other threads.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each Garmin unit works slightly differently, and as I do not have access to a 510D, I can't comment. What firmware version do you have in your unit though?
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v5.30 and signal is hit and miss. Still prefer this over TomTom.
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Found that on high part of West London (Perivale) the 510 offered two options 1-TMC Auto and 2 TMC UK Auto, I selected option 2 and the green light is on for most journeys, it even rerouted me today!
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Update. Found that on high part of West London (Perivale) the 510 offered two options 1-TMC Auto and 2 TMC UK Auto, I selected option 2 and the green light is on for most journeys, it even rerouted me today!

Isn't this a new choice? Is TMC UK a higher gain version to improve performance? Anybody else noticed this? My 510D is long returned so I cannot check myself.

Once TMC reception is better I will be back in again with a Garmin.
viza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some numpty questions about the 510D.

1. Other threads suggest the GTM has own firmware versions, where do you find this on the 510D? Have found unit version, audio version and GPS version but at a total loss as to where GTM version located.
2. If it is separate how do you update, by using webupdater? If so, how reliable is webupdater, judging by comments is the jury still out on this?
3. Have not had courage to update from v3.1 (had unit for nearly a year), if I take a deep breath and go for v5.4 does this complete all intermediate upgrades or is it necessary to download and apply each update?

Would regard myself as a light user of 510D and has served me well over last year, even traffic seems to work a reasonable amount of time. On the basis of it ain’t broke, should I fix it??
OgleBogle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Some numpty questions about the 510D. Reply with quote

You will need to click on the white 'spanner' icon, then 'system' and then 'about' button and all is revealed. This should be the same screen where you already found the Unit ID, Audio versions etc.

I upgraded the firmware on both my previous C510D + GTM early last Feb when the latest version was to 5.20 and I totally lost all traffic reports.
I contacted Garmin who in fairness were very helpful and acknowledged it to be a 'known issue' and that a new version would soon address this.
As I needed my C510D very soon for extensive travel I managed to do an exchange for a new C510D and I didn't dare to upgrade until today!

I have just done both the latest C510D firmware upgrades (from v4.10 to v5.40) and the GTM firmware upgrade (fromv3.70 to v4.00) using the webupdater and all seems fine with Traffic reports which now appear on a Map interface when you click on the double white car button.

All intermediate upgrades appear to be included in 5.40.

Now might be a good time for you as you would still appear to have some warranty time left, just in case.
viza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I have some time this weekend and will give it a go and see what happens.
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated again,on my last journey a pop up message appeared offering me to select a TMC provider suitable for my region.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: