Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database for Garmin StreetPilot c320
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database for Garmin StreetPilot c320
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database for Garmin StreetPilot c320 Reply with quote

As a complete novice to Sat Nav can anyone tell me exactly what speed camera database to download onto my Garmin StreetPilot c320. I clicked on Garmin then it went to 'camera selections'. Which should I click on? Will it download to my computer? Do I then plug in my C320 and will it download without easing the map software that was installed when I bought it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Littleflo
Swanny-mx5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need the uk-speed zone complete 24 files
But I'm new here as well so I maybe wrong
Works in my nuvi 300
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - now downloaded POIloader and then downloaded the UK single camera file, then when I opened up POI loader it asked for the C320 to be connected which I did. However when I clicked on the 'Garmin\pgpsw-speed-cams' ready to install the POIloader just 'hung there' and didn't do anything. Anyone any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use either the POI Loader version or the Speed Zoned file on a Nuvi. I don't know whether the c320 supports the Speed Zoned file - try it and let us know! If you get camera alerts, then all is well, else you will need to use the POI Loader version.
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the POI loader installed you need to download them POI loader files to your computer. unzip them into a folder, eg one called garmin or something on your desktop (doesn't have to be there but makes it easy).

Then plug your device in POI loader will open. Hit Next
Then ensure speed and distance is in feet and yards and the bottom box says express mode.

In the top box use browse and navigate to the folder that you unzipped the files into. then hit next and it should load them

note it will nuke any POIs that you have on the unit.

Steve
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database for Garmin StreetPilot c320 Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, have now followed your instructions. But at the end of all this, when I click to install, my screen just freezes. On the start up bar at the bottom of the screen it say POI Loader not responding. Have tried a couple of times and it comes up the same - just doesn't seem to want to install. I am not sure though after your last comment that it will 'nuke' all the other POI's if this is the way to go. Would it be better to get say the speed camera detector 'Talex' - Has anyone tried that yet.
Regards Littleflo
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed any other POI's? Did you get the same problem? The POI loader wipes all the POI's in the default folder, although there is a way to avoid this shown on other posts (i only have speed cameras so it is of little ocnsiquence)

Have you downloaded / installed web updater? Does this connect to the C320? Have you run it to check for updates?
http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00401-00

Also connect the cable to a motherboard USB port not a repeated / hub one (ie don't use one at the front of your PC).

Are the USB drivers installed?
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, No I havn't installed anthing on my C320 yet. Have just run web updater - it did connect to my C320 which is plugged in to the USB port on the front of my computer. It says my unit is installed with the latest version. So will now try installing again, if it does the same will unplug it and plug it into the back of the computer. By the way, what are the POI's on the C320 - do you mean the locations of garages, food, lodgings etc, or do you mean places like churches, museums, etc. Sorry to seem like a thicko!!. Have used a handheld GPS for years whilst walking on Dartmoor, but this satnav is getting the better of me.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Database for Garmin StreetPilot c320 Reply with quote

littleflo wrote:
Thanks Steve, have now followed your instructions. But at the end of all this, when I click to install, my screen just freezes. On the start up bar at the bottom of the screen it say POI Loader not responding.
I assume you are having a problem with running POI Loader, and not the install of POI Loader.

If so, when you press Next to install the POIs, just leave it. Depending on the number of POIs and the exact SatNav unit you are connecting to, this process can take anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

Be patient, and wait a while, and all should be fine.
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database for Garmin StreetPilot c320 Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, Did as Steve said and plugged it into the USB port at the back of the computer, then as 'Swing' said waited patiently for - 10mins!!!- then off it went and presumably installed it. All I have to do now is get outside and use it!! Cheers all, Littleflo
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it say that it had successfully uploaded a number of POI's on the POI loader programme?
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - after a long while the hour glass went back to the pointer and the screen went back to desktop. Have just turned on the C320 and the Ptrol stations, eateries, lodgings etc are still there, but can't find anything about speed cameras - ah well, back to the drawing board
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed cameras are under custom POIs.

The normal ones loaded with the map (ie that come with the unit) will not be changed by the POI loader, only ones that you have actually loaded up.

Did you try running web update?
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to uninstall POI loader and start again. This time after the installation of the speed cameras it said 11328 POI's loaded. Switched on C320 and looked in Custom POI's and there is data in there 30-G-1005 1.1m E, 30-R-9191 1.5mE etc. I set a route in non GPS mode (indoors) from home past a known Gatso camera, simulated driving the route but the SatNav didn't alert me that the camera was, nor was there anything on the screen to say there was a camera there -help!!!!
littleflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database for Garmin StreetPilot c320 Reply with quote

Oops! have just realised that I probably need to be out on the road to pick up the signal from the cameras for an alert - am I right?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: