Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, and thanks to Mike for linking the threads. I hope the other thread becomes a Sticky too!
dazpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know..
Garmin replaced my defunct nuvi with a brand new one that arrived today.
Thanks Garmin! Smile
I am now handling with extreme care. Downloaded PGPS SCDB onto SD card and a fraction of the POIs onto the same card. So far so good.
Thanks to everyone for all assistance given, i really appreciate it.
Daz
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good result, Daz. At least they do replace, and quite frequently, so they must realise there is a problem. Thank goodness they aren't like some other firms mentioned on here who would do whatever they could to avoid changing a unit!
Beware to many POI's then......
Doug
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note, it's not too many POIs, it's too many POI categories. The limit on a Nuvi is 257 categories, but within those categories no limit of the total number of POIs has (yet) been found.
mufc57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Nuvi POI's Reply with quote

hi all
sory been off line due to rebuilding new computer! easier than installing poi's on a garmin Confused
last you heard off me i had sent my nuvi back to garmin posted registered delivery monday morning just the unit, received shiny new one back wed morning Laughing it came back fully boxed with all the original accesories incl leather case, traffic receiver and ver 9 maps dvd, etc. i can't fault garmin customer service at all.
i will however take great care and load poi's to the memory card only, thanks to everybody for their input.
Rob500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Please note, it's not too many POIs, it's too many POI categories. The limit on a Nuvi is 257 categories, but within those categories no limit of the total number of POIs has (yet) been found.

How can I tell how many categories I have? I'm guessing I'm safe as I've only got the POIs that came with the Nuvi plus the speed camera ones from this site but it would be nice to know how close to the limit I am.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the number of additional POI files you add to the unit - so the PGPSW Camera database is 33 files (or more if you use Ash's utility) - so that's 33 of the 257 gone. All the inbuilt POIs don't count towards the 257.
Rob500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't understand how the PGPSW camera database is 33 files. Am I missing something?

If I look on the Nuvi there is only a single poi.gpi file. If I look at the speed camera files that I've downloaded from here there are only 6 csv files and 6 bmp files.

Where does the 33 come from?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two version of the PGPSW database you can use with the Nuvi range.

If you are using the 6 CSV version, then that has used 6 of the 257 available categories (if you use the other version, it uses 33 of the 257).
Kevdb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be being stupid but when you refer to no more than 257 categories of POIs do you mean gpi files like Banks, Petrol etc or do you mean csv files like Nat West, HSBC, Esso, Shell etc.

Thanks and again, sorry if I'm being thick but its better to be safe than sorry Exclamation
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - new here!

Just received my Nuvi 360T today and straight out of the box it had this problem - gets to "Loading Maps..." then hangs when on charge, or switches off when on battery power. I've not loaded any POI data or even hooked it up to my PC yet.

I thought originally that it was due to there being no CD or SD in the box that i'd have to load onto the unit, but i'm not so sure that's the case now having read this thread.

I'll be straight onto Garmin customer care on Monday morning!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, Welcome to the forum, take the Garmin back to where you bought it from and get a replacement, as it is clearly defective - Mike
petepda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - thanks for the very prompt welcome!

To be honest, i bought the unit from ebuyer and i know from bitter previous experience that their customer service is diabolical on returns or anything like that (i should have learnt really, but they are so cheap!), so i think i'd rather deal direct with Garmin.

I just tried powering up the unit whilst touching the bottom left corner as suggested elsewhere on here, to enter the maintenance mode. I cleared all the user data, then rebooted again. This time it gets past the "Loading Maps..." ok, gets to the language selection, then switches off! A little step closer, but not enough yet.
kmichalec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Important!!! Reply with quote

Hey all,

Check out the post I just wrote up. I had the Loading Maps lockup, and I managed to fix it WITHOUT sending the unit back to Garmin. Here's how I did it. Hopefully, it works for you too.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54453

Good luck!!!!

kmichalec
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:

Hi swing

I've dropped you a PM re this comment - need some (a lot) of clarification, please.

Rab Embarassed

UPDATE:

My PM to swing seems to be languishing in my Outbox, so here's the gist of it to see if someone can shed some light . .

I've used POI Loader to navigate to a folder on my laptop where all my POIs are in seperate 'folders' ie ATMs, Halfords (in each folder is a .bmp and .csv file). I get POI Loader to copy them to my SD card via the USB cable. On booting up, I go to WHERE TO and press on CUSTOM POIs, only to find just a handful of ATMs, for example. I scroll down but get to the end after a short while (not a comprehensive list) and there's nothing else.

How do I store in CUSTOM POIs, a folder (or heading) for each category ie ATMs, Halfords, B&Qs, WiFi Sites, etc..?

Sorry, but I'm a right noob with this so forgive me for writing like one!

Your help is apprecaited!

Rab

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: