Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let anyone with the same problem know...
Phoned Garmin today and explained the problem, and that other people using this forum having had similar problems, given ref number to return the Nuvi to Garmin.
Will let everyone know the outcome as soon as possible.
Wavesportzg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: nuvi Reply with quote

When my nuvi 310D went wrong (after two weeks from purchase) i had no choice but to send it back to garmin. I waited two weeks and recieved back a nuvi 360!?!

I phoned and explained i wanted the 310D with the traffic module like i had bought in the first place, they tried telling me that they only return like for like, i explained that they are full of s**t and demanded that they make right.. so i waited yet another week and finally after total of three weeks i recieved a replacement nuvi 310D, without traffic receiver and with full V8 europe mapping on cd!

After having a minor fit where i threw the box around and cursed, i called garmin and they are going to post me a traffic reciever and v9 europe map cd.. believe it when i see it!

I asked what caused the initial problem with the nuvi and the reply was that, WHEN I INSTALLED THE POCKET GPS POINTS OF INTEREST THEIR DATABASE WAS CORRUPT CAUSING THE FAILURE.

Lessons learned.

1. Garmin aftersales are a joke, i would recommend talking to a brick wall as you'll get alot further.

2. Pocket GPS (to the best of my knoweledge) have not apologised, admitted or made right for messing up many nuvi owners sat nav systems, i think this should be addressed!?

3. Garmin may be the market leaders in satalite navigation but they got a lot to learn about customer care.

I am interested in hearing others opinions on this subject, as this whole ordeal has been a f**king nightmare.
mufc57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi yes i still have copies of the files on my computer to get the nuvi up and running again, it reverts back to firmware version 2.3 and works fine BUT when i attempted to update to 3.50 it freezes again, RAH!!! anyway phoned garmin tech support who were very good asked me to send it back and they would sort it or replace it within 5 days we'll see sent it monday 26/2 they also told me i get a free update of maps bought my unit nvember 06. the problem is the poi's without doubt it screws things up, if you leave them on the memorycard it should be ok, garmin tech suppport have been very good throughout only problem is you can wait ten minutes on fone waiting for an answer and they only open 9-5.30 mon-fri
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Attention Pocketgpsworld mods Reply with quote

There has been lots of threads on here about crashing Nuvi's and I have experienced this twice with two returns to Halfords. Garmin are blaming this site, especially the POI's, saying they are corrupt. I have to admit, I downloaded some POI's from here just before the machine failed with its "loading maps" error.
This is quite a serious allegation and I am sure that many ex owners of Nuvi's would welcome some answer to this. Can this be taken up with Garmin Support please so others will know whether they can or cannot use the downloads from this site?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the PGPSW POIs work fine for many people. It appears that there is a limit to how many POIs a Nuvi can handle, and there are now enough POIs for download here that you can easily go over the limit, which causes the Nuvi to crash in a bad way.

I believe:

1. PGPSW should put a warning on the site, or limit the total number of POIs that can be downloaded.

2. Garmin should admit to, and fix their units such that they fail in a more graceful way.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. Someone must assume some sort of responsibility for what is happening. I emailed Garmin about a week ago about this problem and have heard diddly squat from them! You can only keep your head in the sand for so long.......
Someone give us some guidance please!!
dazpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Nuvi problems! Reply with quote

Having scoured the Nuvi user manuual again, found no mention of limit of POI's etc BUT did find a warning of no responsibility on Garmin of using third party POI's. Hmm?
So are the POI files from this website corrupt or is the Nuvi incapable of maintaing it's integrity when too many (however many that may be?) POI's are loaded? Surely a firmware problem. After all, when I take photos on my digi-cam, taking too many simply throws up a warning that my memory card is full, not to wipe out the firmware and render my camera useless!!
Posted my Nuvi back to Garmin Mon 26th Feb after 15mins!! on my phone to an 0870 number (expensive!!) before getting an answer.
No reply yet, living in hope by the sound of some other poster's experience?
northender
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufc57 wrote:
hi yes i still have copies of the files on my computer to get the nuvi up and running again, it reverts back to firmware version 2.3

Does this mean that the GTM software version is downgraded as well?
This may fix the current traffic problem listed here with GTM v3.90 firmware:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51471&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazpad - there is a 0808 number for Garmin that is a freephone. It's on their website.
Keep us informed if you hear anything from them. I have heard nothing. They are only just down the road from me, I might just pop in!
Doug
dazpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Doug. Wish I'd known about the freephone number Sad
Fingers crossed....
Daz
Wavesportzg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Nuvi Reply with quote

Please could you ppst the freephone number on here? The Uk site is down for some reason.

cheers
johndanson
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi Reply with quote

Wavesportzg wrote:
Please could you ppst the freephone number on here? The Uk site is down for some reason.

cheers

The freephone number is 0808 238 0000
Callaway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......having had a mental block I too ignored the previous warnings about updating POIs and guess what? fell right into the trap and have rendered my Nuvi useless! Have spoken to Garmin and went through a number resuscitation procedures, to no avail. Upshot, have had to return the unit to get it going again, as well as problems with the GTM12 Traffic Alert it makes you think this model has outlived what ever use it had.

On the question of liability, I believe that this lies with Garmin. The fault is surely to do with the inability of the Nuvi to cope with the larger POI file. I noticed that the previous POI file I had loaded was 4.43mb (approx 73,000 POIs) compared to the new one of 6.74mb(approx 110,000 POIs), hardly large in the grand scheme of things but appears to be the likely cause of the problem. Garmin do not accept liability for the content of the POIs although they provide links to a number of third party POI providers. Not impressive performance considering the cost of the unit

Having said that I received a replacement Nuvi from Garmin AM today so I am very impressed. I reloaded the previous POIs including the current Speed Camera database onto the SD card (for safety) and all seems to work OK. There hasn’t been any advice that you shouldn’t load the current POI database though,…….I’m staying well clear.

Faith has been restored………………for the time being!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, and thanks for the figures of what worked, and failed. I can tell you it's not a straight filesize issue, as my POI files is 12.6Mb, but has only 46,000 POIs in it (due to the use of WAV files and categories).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the number of POI's its the number of POI Categories, MaFt has been playing and found the answer see Here for more, sorry this is off topic for the thread, but its well worth reading if you own a Nuvi, and two of you were discussing this! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: