Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom hands free (any good?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom hands free (any good?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mplatt6665
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: tomtom hands free (any good?) Reply with quote

Is the TomTom bluetooth hands free any good or sould I get a proper kit
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I love it,

Volume could maybe a bit lounder I have to strain to hear the caller sometimes, but Its saved me a load of cash over getting an internal kit.

Had 5 calls from the DVLA today whilst on the road, to sort out a reg problem and it saved me the hassle of having to pull over and dig out my phone (Or even worse not hearing it ring). Certainly as good as the Parrot systems I have had in other cars.
mplatt6665
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply I am thinking of a 910 or 510 any coment?
Question
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a relief to hear your comment about parrots Vicky - I was considering one.

mplatt6665 there is one VERY serious proviso, namely phone compatibility. This will affect how useful the hands free is. With my Nokia 6230i, I get every facility - The phone book transferred easily and I can use it to make calls and display the incoming caller ID, it Auto answers without me even touching anything, incoming text messages can be displayed and I can reply to them using the TomTom screen (with it's comparatively enormous screen [albeit without predictive text]).

If you already have a mobile phone (if? Rolling Eyes ) check to see whether it's on TomTom's compatibility list on their website. Not being on the list does NOT necessarily mean it won't work, just that you may have some difficulty pairing it and may not get all the functions I get.

The 910 and 510 are getting a bit old now - they've already been overtaken by the 920/720/520 series, which in turn are about to be overtaken by the 930/730/530. But they'll still work OK I expect, maybe a bit more effort updating them with operating software and maps.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mplatt6665
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will check TomTom site
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom hands free (any good?) Reply with quote

mplatt6665 wrote:

I don't like it. Works well at home, but as soon as you try it on the road, it picks up so much background noise that it's unusable.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom hands free (any good?) Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
mplatt6665 wrote:

There is no compromise for a good dedicated handsfree kit, but they aint cheap, and fitting can be tricky! not wirering as most seem to plug into car radio now but space is lacking in cars now! but the TT does compare well to the plug and play bluetooth kits! but your environment is a major issue! dont expect to hear or be heard in a truck/van or doing 70 down the M1! but the text reading via tts is very handy and replying via tt is handy as dennisN said! but pulled over in a safe place or you could be on the wrong end of a mp10 3 points and £60 fine! So if your looking for a sat nav and handsfree plug and play kit then TT could save you money! but look for the x20 range at discounted price recently 720 been selling for £169 less with some offers!
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mplatt6665 wrote:
Thanks for the reply I am thinking of a 910 or 510 any coment?
Question

The 910 is a little bit different, the internal mic is abysmal so you need to use the supplied external mic, (More wiring). were as the *20 / *30 series work fine without the extra microphone.

(Driving a little Fiesta Diesel I find I have no problem with people hearing me clearly on the motorway at 70ish Embarassed but hearing the incoming caller can be struggle as the volume is a little low and you cannot route it via the external audio connector)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, great memory Vicky. In fact, I kept hold of my GO700 for those two reasons and only tried the 910 and 710 very briefly on hands free - 700 had a brilliant blast your head off speaker (I'm still toying with the idea of getting mine back from son-in-law and giving him one of my 720s instead). I do believe you can still get refurbished 700s and I'd be tempted to strongly recommend that (with external aerial and remote control it'd be the bee's knees).

Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased with the TT720 handsfree. The text message function works with one of my older Nokia phones and is a real bonus too, although the spoken aloud text message feature is somewhat of a giggle Laughing

I agree with Vicky, that the speaker volume is a little low even on max setting. I used to carry a Moto HF speaker round with me on my travels but the TT720 has made this redundant now.

As someone who spends most of his motoring miles in Rental vehicles, a portable hands-free solution is the only option for me.

Cheers

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can fiesta diesils reach 70 then vicky Laughing Out Loud soz! true enough tho a family car the tt should be fine, some vans too but my scania truck can be hard! why tt dont send sound through speakers with hands free god only knows, if it can stream music whats so hard about streaming a call!
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to Tomtom but not Satnavs.
I think it is bloo*y excellent on the 920T
The only thing I cannot do is receive SMS but that is down to the phone not the device.
Really clear.
zedder
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bump up a relatively old thread but it seems to be the best one covering my exact question

in relative terms how well goes a TomTom unit's handsfree function compared to the likes of an installed Parrot or Bury kit?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zedder wrote:
sorry to bump up a relatively old thread but it seems to be the best one covering my exact question

I don't think you'll get any better than has already been posted here. There are pros and cons to both sides and never will they be resolved because we'll all be committed to our own preference. Read all the posts carefully, then close your eyes and jump!!

Make up your mind what functionality you want. The TomTom has more than the Parrot, but do you need the functions and is your phone compatible with it? I'll not contribute any more, because these are questions for you to resolve yourself.

zedder
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
zedder wrote:

I don't think you'll get any better than has already been posted here. There are pros and cons to both sides and never will they be resolved because we'll all be committed to our own preference. Read all the posts carefully, then close your eyes and jump!!

Make up your mind what functionality you want. The TomTom has more than the Parrot, but do you need the functions and is your phone compatible with it? I'll not contribute any more, because these are questions for you to resolve yourself.

thanks, i guess it's just a gamble then:
my problem is that to get handsfree installed will be about £200, whereas i could, in effect, upgrade my tomtom one v3 to a 530T for a little more than that and gain all the extra functions from the 530T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: