Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode use with TT6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode use with TT6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Postcode use with TT6 Reply with quote

I am hoping for assistance again, I have a Medion MDPPC 150, with a 2g sd card, and am using TT6 Western Europe Maps.
I am having problems with navigating to a Postcode. When I input a postcode, I also have to then type in the street name, followed by house number.
The postcodes are shown as poi's on the sd card, in the western europe folder. Have I got them in the wrong place?
Please can anyone tell me how to just enter a postcode followed by the house number?
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Postcode use with TT6 Reply with quote

nikgee wrote:
I am hoping for assistance again, I have a Medion MDPPC 150, with a 2g sd card, and am using TT6 Western Europe Maps.
I am having problems with navigating to a Postcode. When I input a postcode, I also have to then type in the street name, followed by house number.
The postcodes are shown as poi's on the sd card, in the western europe folder. Have I got them in the wrong place?
Please can anyone tell me how to just enter a postcode followed by the house number?

the postcodes should be in a seperate folder on your sd card called zip codes not in POI
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the WE Map you should also have the Postcode Files for GB and the Netherlands. These are normally installed along with the Map.

Both these .postal Files go into a Folder called zip.

Are you using the TT interface correctly. It changed between V5 and V6?
Navigate to ... | Address | Postcode.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
nikgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Dabut and Old Boy
I now have the postcodes in the folder zip and it is not in poi.
However, when I select Navigate to; Address; Postcode, I still have to input the street followed by house number.
Do I have to unzip this folder, or leave it as it is?
I am still doing something wrong and it's driving me mad.
Any further help or guidance would be most welcome.
Nikgee
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of the Postcode can you Input? 3/4 or 6/7 digits?

If you can see 6/7 then you just select from the indicated streets in the list. If there are house numbers allocated to this part of the street, you will then be asked for a number.

If you can only use 3/4 digits and a town in the list, then there is a problem.

In the zip Folder there should be a file called Great_Britain.Postal

There is also a Great_BritainPostal.ver File, but I don't know if it is crucial.

If you've installed it also there should be a Nederland.Postal File.

Can you confirm what you actually have.

nikgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Richard. When I input a postcode, it is only 3/4 digits which are accepted;as an example if I input ST6 2NG (where I was born) after the ST6 part of the code nothing else changes, it just shows Stoke on Trent on the screen, which when I tap it, it then asks for street name followed by house number.
In the zip folder there are 2 files; Great Britain Postal.cab; Nederlands Postal,cab: These are the unzipped file names. I can't see the one which you have mentioned.
Thanks for your continued help and advice.
Nikgee
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikgee wrote:
In the zip folder there are 2 files; Great Britain Postal.cab; Nederlands Postal,cab:
There's your problem.

You have to 'unzip' the Cab Files. I don't know if you have to run them from their current location, or if you need to Unzip them on the PC and copy/paste the Files to the zip Folder.

If the 2 CAB files are the only copies you have I would Back them up somewhere on the PC. I would suggest opening them first on the PC.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
nikgee wrote:
In the zip folder there are 2 files; Great Britain Postal.cab; Nederlands Postal,cab:
There's your problem.

You have to 'unzip' the Cab Files. I don't know if you have to run them from their current location, or if you need to Unzip them on the PC and copy/paste the Files to the zip Folder.
Are you sure? I think the two .cab files should be in the My Documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads folder on the PC, from whence they are subsequently installed into the zip folder by TT Home?? My TTGO zip folder contains Great_Britain.Postal, Great_BritainPostal.ver, Nederland.postal and Nederlandpostal.ver (note different upper/lower case p for postal) or is it different using a whatever he's got?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I think the two .cab files should be in the My Documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads folder on the PC, from whence they are subsequently installed into the zip folder by TT Home??
You're right, but you can also Unzip them manually.

DennisN wrote:
My TTGO zip folder contains Great_Britain.Postal, Great_BritainPostal.ver, Nederland.postal and Nederlandpostal.ver (note different upper/lower case p for postal) or is it different using a whatever he's got?
It was a typo on my part. Well spotted. Smile

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
It was a typo on my part. Well spotted. Smile
Ahh - once again you credit me with spottings beyond my ability Richard - I didn't notice a thing, just checked and double checked what I was posting and noticed it in my own. Does unzipping get the four files with correct names? Magic!! Come to think of it, unzipping the camera zip file does, but then that's called zip, not cab. Confused I didn't know a cab was a zip. I probably learn something new every day on this site.
Edited once to add...
When I said "is it different using a whatever he's got?" I meant doesn't he use Home to download and install that stuff?

nikgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks richard and DennisD; Have been out this evening and will now follow your guidance and will let you know how I get on. Thanks once again.
Nikgee
nikgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no success, I have reformated the sd card and reinstalled western Europe from the cd, along with GB postal and Nederlands postal folders onto the sd card. I did it through Tom Tom Home conected directly to my Medion ppc, it took about two and a half hours, hence the delay in posting!
Looking at the contents of the SD card, it has Western Europe folder, Zip folder, connect2internet 129K, connect2internet 270K, connect2internet 58B, ttdesk 32B all installed on it. The two folders have both been unzipped. However it is still not giving me the ablility to input a 6 figure postcode; it will only take the first 3 figures, I still have to input the name of the street followed by house number. It is very frustrating. Please has anyone any suggestions?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm stumped now, sorry.

Just one stupid question left. You're NOT putting a space in the postcode are you? Or are you? 'cos you shouldn't.

rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me - I am a late comer to this post!!!

You have the GB and Netherlands postal code folders - OK??

What is in the ZIP folder?? Have a look - IF the GB and Netherlands postal codes FILES are in there (NOT the folders containing them since your unit will not go looking in sub folders for info!) then empty the folder completely ie remove whatever is in there but leave the folder.

Go back to your postal code folders and open each in turn. Transfer the FILE from each folder into the ZIP folder - remember, just the files NOT the whole postal folders!! Do not create any other folders within the ZIP folder, just drop the postal files into it. They are probably called something like GB_postal.......... or whatever. Don't put anything else in the ZIP folder!

A card reader is much the quickest way to transfer files from PC to card!

Can you check the contents of your program files on the Medion (the unit) - look for Navigator, expand Navigator and check for a ZIP folder there, too. If there is not one then create one and call it "ZIP" (without the quotes) and place the same postal FILES in it also via the card.

Turn the unit off and back on and/or perform a soft reset and try again.
nikgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN,
I was putting in a space, so I tried it without the space, But it still wants the street, followed by number. thanks anyway.
I will try what the other poster has suggested, thanks for that.
Nikgee

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: