Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Loader software version 2.4.0.0 Beta
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Loader software version 2.4.0.0 Beta
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing said,
Quote:
The most likely reason is simply that the WAV functionality of the 2.4.0.0 beta was not carried forward into the released 2.4.1 version...

Cheers swing, I have noticed that the bongs are a bit louder than they used to be. Now do I carry on with this or revert back to the Beta version??

Personal taste I suppose.
Also I have noticed that when using the nuvi it will warn me of cams in some locations and not in others, as when I use the Mio C510 it gives me a warning in places where the nuvi doesnt . I thought the speedcam downloads were all the same except for the device you download them to!! A few times I have come to a location where I will get a warning from the Mio, but not when I use the Nuvi driving past the same location. The mind boggles.

Thanks again....dil
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Nuvi not alert to a upcoming speed camera if your speed is a fair bit lower than the camera's speed (ie you don't even get a distance warning).

This occurs, for example, when driving at 20mph in a 40mph speed area. However, as soon as you speed up, you do seem to get the alert. I haven't studied this enough, but I believe the icon will still appear on the screen too.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
I've seen the Nuvi not alert to a upcoming speed camera if your speed is a fair bit lower than the camera's speed (ie you don't even get a distance warning).

This occurs, for example, when driving at 20mph in a 40mph speed area. However, as soon as you speed up, you do seem to get the alert. I haven't studied this enough, but I believe the icon will still appear on the screen too.

I've noticed the same effect. You always seem to get the icon displayed but no warning if markedly below the speed limit - I can't work out if it's based on a percentage below speed or a fixed amount - anyway it's a rather neat "feature" - I don't like unnecessary warnings.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression it's a fixed amount, but knowing how the alerts work, it's probably a fixed amount of metres/second (the units the Nuvi uses internally for the speed alerts), which makes it even more difficult to work out the number.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heartfelt thanks to Benjones
I have a 2720 and have been going round in circles, resaving the wav files, checking names, etc, reloading, with no effect.....
Never thought, and still can't believe, that Garmin has actually disabled/removed the sound facility - I use TourGuide and that stopped working as well - must be some sort of bug (?).
Anyway reloaded the POI Loader 2.4.0 and all back to normal. Have saved a copy in a safe place
It is now 5:11am and now I can go to bed happy!
Thanks and Regards
Cdk
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Louie7,
Presume no answer from Garmin regarding your bug report?
It wouold be interesting to know their answer.
Thanks
Cdk

Louie7 wrote:
Me again. Before removing POI Loader beta v2.4.0.1 from my PC, i carried out a quick POI file size comparison with v2.4.0.0. The difference was:

v2.4.0.0 = 12,570 Mb
v2.4.0.1 = 11,239 Mb

The difference of 1,331 Mb between the two file sizes is effectively twice the size of my Speed Camera WAV audio files which have a combined total size of 665 Kb.

I have e-mailed Garmin a bug report on the lack of audio output in version 2.4.0.1. However if they take as long with the next beta release of POI Loader as with the last, our GPS units will be obsolete before the full release becomes available. :D
Jibee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On my nuvi 250, I would like to have a custom audible alert. I tried with the former POI Loader version (2.4.0) but the original alert (bong bong!) is still present. Nevertheless, I see on the map, the custom BMP file.

I have read this entire topic in details and I tried several sounds WAV and MP3 without success.

Any idea? Thanks.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the WAV file got exactly the filename as the BMP, except for the extension?

Can the 250 play mp3s? If not, it may not have the necessary support in the unit itself for custom sounds...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can the 250 play mp3s?

The nuvi 250 can't play mp3s - but does that necessarily mean the voices won't work?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but other devices, eg the Streetpilot i3 can't play mp3s, and don't support custom sounds either - there appears to be a link in Garmin's eyes between the two, hence my question...
Jibee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Has the WAV file got exactly the filename as the BMP, except for the extension?

Yes, the 3 files (.csv, .bmp, .wav) have the same name. In addition, I removed from the POI directory the already installed files (cyclops).

In a french forum, someone has a streetpilot 2820 which does not support MP3 but support custom .wav sounds.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a french forum, someone has a streetpilot 2820 which does not support MP3 but support custom .wav sounds.

The Garmin Street Pilot 2820 DOES support mp3. See https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=382

Quote:
Stay Entertained
For fun on the road, you can listen to MP3s and audio books. The MP3 player allows you to browse music by artist, album and/or song. Optional audio books may be purchased from audible.com which features over 70,000 hours of audio programs.
Jibee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy says that it only support .wav files and not .mp3 for POI alert.

Anyway, if you have an idea for the nuvi 250, I am interested. Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The guy says that it only support .wav files and not .mp3 for POI alert

Sorry, but you didn't make that clear.

The point i was making above is that it seems that if the Hardware doesn't support mp3 playing then it doesn't support custom POI sounds, as it would probably use the same software to play the music as play the custom sounds. I think swing agrees with me on this...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - despite the WAV file option within the POI Loader Beta (nearly every Garmin SatNav can play WAV files), it appears to me that you only get support for custom POI sounds if the unit has mp3 support. I've not done exhausted research into this (although I'm sure I've seen this link mentioned online before), but it seems to hold true.

As such, I guess the Nuvi 2xx range may simply not support custom POI sounds at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: