Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free Nav 6 with new (downloaded) maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Nav 6 with new (downloaded) maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Free Nav 6 with new (downloaded) maps? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Forgive me asking a question that's probably been asked a million times, but could anyone just confirm the following as fact:
That the newsletter I just received (today) from TT guides me to here which states, right at the very bottom, that Nav 5 owners buying a new map get Nav 6 free... is this THE Nav 6, with all the V6 features, or is it a limited version...or something else altogether?

I was under the impression TT were offering:
1. Nav 6 as an entirely new product (no upgrade path)
2. Recently introduced, Nav 5 updated software to go with a Nav 5 version map (paid) update

in fact, I have messages from TT Support (yes, them again) confirming this from just last week.

I know it SOUNDS right, but that's never stopped TT from getting it wrong before (or me for that matter!).

If anyone can confirm it is as it seems, I'd be most appreciative.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your device is compatible, and your TREO 650 is on the list, you will get the V6 software and maps. If it isn't, you will get new maps to run on your old software. That is as I understand it.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Well blow me down! Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
If your device is compatible, and your TREO 650 is on the list, you will get the V6 software and maps. If it isn't, you will get new maps to run on your old software. That is as I understand it.

That's great Tim, thanks very much!

Now everybody remember where you were when this happened:

Thank You Tom Tom!!!

I'll never understand why I (and many others) suffered so much anguish at the hands of TT support continuously changing their minds and denying the availability of forthcoming upgrade paths etc, but I am grateful they appear to have done the reasonable thing - provide an affordable way to update our maps. I'll say it just once more: Thank you TomTom.

Cheers Tim.
cathwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it confuses everyone even more, I bought the maps without reading everything properly and therefore bought the navigator 6 maps although my hx2410 was not on the list.

I thought that I would try it out before I rang tom tom and told them that i'd been a silly girl. Anyway, navigator 6 seems to work ok on it. No freezing at initial try out. I needed to clear some internal memory, but other than that it's so far so good.

Cathy
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what my post about TT 6 running on the TX was all about, but you did have to read between the lines to come to the conclusion that when I bought the new map version 6 came along for the ride without me asking for it or TT telling me it was available. It showed up on the udates available list on TT Home which I was told by support to use to install the map to the TX. I'm confused about this as this now appears to be an upgrade path from ver5. I didn't have to activate the software only the new map.

Bill
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Dutch ? Think yourself lucky you're not a member of the KLM Flying Blue loyalty program...........(you think TT help desk is a tad what difficult to deal with ?)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billconant wrote:
I didn't have to activate the software only the new map.
This is the way it's always been. The Software is Free and the Maps cost.

So no point in having to Activate/Register the Software.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of dragging this off topic I'm with Mikeact on the KLM thing. I've tried to hand a filled in form to the flight attendant on several occasions to be told I have to post it but that the address on the form isn't necessarily the right place to send it if you're a UK resident (?) As our American friends say "go figure!"

And as for Tom Tom support, I must be lucky to never have needed it. But as a man who soldiered on with Destinator for 2 years, trust me, it might be no better with anyone else. Destinators support is TRULY awful! As if the whole company is a weekend project for someone and some 'one size fits all' telephone support outfit sending you generic emails week in week out. Next time you feel like pulling your hair out, check out the forums for other software. You might feel a little less frustrated!

Reminds me too, I must change my sig!
Holux GPSslim
hpgpsuser30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: tomtom6 Reply with quote

hi... does anyone have tomtom 6 with the US maps. I have a hp ipaq and a bluetooth receiver but not the software. Is anyone willing to share... sell cheap. Pls pm me. tx!
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not allowed on here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: