Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I download the POIcamerawarnings to my TomTom One ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I download the POIcamerawarnings to my TomTom One ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlfordDave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: How do I download the POIcamerawarnings to my TomTom One ? Reply with quote

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, i just can't seem to find any info to hand, and I don't have time to trawl hundreds of pages of the forum I'm afraid .

I woke up this morning to find my works van had been broken into overnight, they trashed the drivers door and swiped an old Road Angel that had a faulty wire (hah won't work for you yer ********) and my Mio C210 sat nav, which already had camera points on it (no it wasn't on display, but I had left the cradle on view , something I wont be doing again) . So I was left with zero camera warning devices , the courier company I work for can supply sat navs on credit (I had only just finished paying the last one off Crying or Very sad ) but only had a TomTom One in stock, so I got it ....

I have downloaded the POICapture and POI sideways zip files, I just can't see how I transfer them to my TT , its plugged in but doesn't appear when I click My Computer, the CD software won't install , some kind of error on C:\DOCUME~1\US\LOCALS~1\TMEP\.

But from what I can gather the software on there shouldn't make any differance, the TT1 should appear as a storage device, but isn't

Like all proffesional drivers, I do a shed load of miles and have come to rely on my warning devices, so it is of utmost urgency I get this sorted
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18701
IlfordDave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Step 2. Connect your TomTom GO to your PC
Connect your TomTom GO to your PC using the USB data cable. The USB cable is supplied with your TomTom GO product. Ensure that TomTom GO is powered using the AC adapter.

Your TomTom GO is now visible in "My Computer" as a "Removable Disk

and there in lies the problem, my PC isn't showing my Tom Tom as a removable Disk, which is why my instalation progress ground to a halt .

I have gonet o control panel and made sure it had recongised the new hardware
IlfordDave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just re-read that a few times, and spotted the problem

AC adaptor ... does that come with the package, cos I don't seem to have one, and mine was a sealed box ?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AC adaptor ... does that come with the package, cos I don't seem to have one, and mine was a sealed box ?

Just checked on GlobalPositioningSystems site where it says

Quote:
TOMTOM ONE V2 GREAT BRITAIN
Installation CD: Contains user manual, additional voices and TomTom HOME software (Windows / Mac OS X 10.3 and higher), for easy content management, desktop planning and downloads
USB Car Charger and USB cable: For in-car charging of your TomTom ONE
Secure Digital Card: Preloaded with Great Britain maps
Power Adapter: Cigarette lighter charger
Windscreen holder: Lightweight and easy to mount it is nicely matching your TomTom ONE

So it doesn't appear to.
IlfordDave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like my options are either £20 for an AC adaptor , or dowload the stuff to a lap top, take that out to the car, and upload to the TT whilst its plugged in in the car (I assume that will work just as well)
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IlfordDave wrote:
looks like my options are either £20 for an AC adaptor , or dowload the stuff to a lap top, take that out to the car, and upload to the TT whilst its plugged in in the car (I assume that will work just as well)

The easiest way is with a card reader. Uzip the camera files, and then 'copy and paste' them to your map folder via windows explorer (or my computer). You'll need to copy the .ov2 files on every update, but the .bmp files only once.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilford Dave... you DON'T need to fork out for a mains charger just for this. They only put that advice in because if your unit ran out of battery power while the PC was writing to it, things could get corrupted. Just make sure the batteries are fully charged before you start.

So, your problem lies elsewhere, I'm afraid.

You need to get the PC connection sorted out before you try anything else.
As others have said, a card reader is an easy solution.
Otherwise, try all combinations of:
With the PC on, connect the USB with the One powered off, then switch it on.
With the PC on, connect the USB with the One powered on.
With the PC off, connect the USB with the One powered off, then switch it on, then switch the PC on.
etc.

I'm assuming you have Windows XP? If you are on an earlier version of Windows, you might need a special USB driver, come back if that's the problem.

Finally, lots of people have been caught out by a very simple problem... some of the supplied USB leads actually need a second push to get them to click fully home into the TomTom. seems daft but it's happened several times to people on the forums.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: