Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 6/7 Digit postcode search not working after 3.2 upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

6/7 Digit postcode search not working after 3.2 upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried replacing the new GB map GreatBritain7PPC.fbl with the original one off my CD but the Mio still says that the map version is UK 2006.01+ . I have a copy now of GreatBritain7PPC.fbl on my PC.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rronaldson wrote:
I've tried replacing the new GB map GreatBritain7PPC.fbl with the original one off my CD

Are you saying that GreatBritain7PPC.fbl came on your CD? I can't find one on mine!

Sal
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
rronaldson wrote:
I've tried replacing the new GB map GreatBritain7PPC.fbl with the original one off my CD

Are you saying that GreatBritain7PPC.fbl came on your CD? I can't find one on mine!
Sal

Hi Sal. No, I got GreatBritain7PPC.fbl with the 3.2 update. I just downloaded it to my PC. Remember, I have unlocked my C510 so I can access it via Activesync and Explorer.

I was just pointing out that even after copying the old GB map from my CD to the Mio, it still reports the new map info in the Maps tab.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I would still like to know how/why you got that file in your download when others didn't.

Sal
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v3.2 upgrade appeared for a very short while and then disappeared - only to reappear at the end of last week.

I missed the first attempt so upgraded last Thursday evening and again last night.

As I do not have the GreatBritain7PPC.fbl file either on my pc (cache), mio or original CD/DVD is it possible that it appeared initially and was subsequentel removed - hence tardy upgraders missed out?

Confused Confused Confused
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:
The v3.2 upgrade appeared for a very short while and then disappeared - only to reappear at the end of last week.

I missed the first attempt so upgraded last Thursday evening and again last night.

As I do not have the GreatBritain7PPC.fbl file either on my pc (cache), mio or original CD/DVD is it possible that it appeared initially and was subsequentel removed - hence tardy upgraders missed out?

Confused Confused Confused

That's always possible, in which case we have to wonder what was wrong with the 7ppc file that they had to withdraw it.
I believe there are some copies of the 7ppc file floating about unofficially Smile but Mio really need to sort this out. I trust that everyone who has lost the full postcode lookup has emailed them for a solution.

Sal
PaulH66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded v3.2 on Monday evening (9th Oct) and I got the 7ppc file.
APMorton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here, only first 3 digits and then the next one goes to 'Enter Street', fine if you know where you're going, but if i did i wouldn't need the navigator in the first place, hence i got shot of the TomTom.
Ok i could go back to the original GB map but the new map does show all the major new raod layouts we have had recently complted here so i'm reluctant to go back to a map that is 'out of date. i've sent this exact text to MIO, lets hope they respond soon.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulH66 wrote:
I downloaded v3.2 on Monday evening (9th Oct) and I got the 7ppc file.

Very strange. I did an upgrade before then, and (after completely clearing the PC cache) again yesterday. And no 7ppc file either time.
The site is currently down, hopefully they will have fixed something when it returns.

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mio-tech.be is back online again this morning and looks exactly the same as before - so no obvious signs of v3.2 either being withdrawn or updated
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
http://www.mio-tech.be is back online again this morning and looks exactly the same as before - so no obvious signs of v3.2 either being withdrawn or updated

Has anyone mnaged to get a response from Mitac about this serious problem?
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what would happen if everyone threatened to return their devices as "not fit for purpose"........

Wonder if they'd bother giving some support then!!!

And, yes, New maps = dodgy postcodes (will post what i've found in the Postcodes thread...)

Paul
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud. thsi was the postcodes thread... oops (and of course i cant edit Twisted Evil )

Ok. 6 digit works for some, not for others (destinations that is).

Example - my home address (6 digit) works fine. My old address (7 digit) doesnt appear as it should and only takes 5 digits(it used to work ok!!). My parents address doesnt appear full stop.

I can only say - complete shamble of *EDITED* ;) It's blatently obvious that no-one from mitec has even attempted to trial this, else they would have found the problem. Maybe we should all become official Mio Beta-testers - we seem to do a damn site more than they do!

Did anyone else have the survey through on e-mail the other day? Wish i could do it all again now (note - it wasnt that great to start with - nice hardware, reasonable software - would be better if it was POI unlocked - and non-existant customer service.....)
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - here's how to fix it.

We know that Mio have changed the GB maps, and that a new map, 'greatbritain7ppc.fbl' is needed to maintain the lookup of full postcodes. It seems that the upgrade process is flawed and only some users have actually received the additional file.
Instead of waiting for Mio to correct the problem, here's how to get round it. If after your upgrade, you find that the full postcodes are working, you are lucky.
If not:
1. From the \maps folder on the original CD, copy to your PC the map file 'andorra.fbl'
2. Rename the file to 'greatbritain7ppc.fbl'
3. Using Bluetooth, copy the renamed file to the \maps folder on your Mio.
4. Run the Miomap v3 updater program. Your renamed file will fool the program into thinking that you have an old or damaged file that needs replacing, and will download a new copy from the server.

It worked for me!

Sal
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Right - here's how to fix it.

We know that Mio have changed the GB maps, and that a new map, 'greatbritain7ppc.fbl' is needed to maintain the lookup of full postcodes. It seems that the upgrade process is flawed and only some users have actually received the additional file.
Instead of waiting for Mio to correct the problem, here's how to get round it. If after your upgrade, you find that the full postcodes are working, you are lucky.
If not:
1. From the \maps folder on the original CD, copy to your PC the map file 'andorra.fbl'
2. Rename the file to 'greatbritain7ppc.fbl'
3. Using Bluetooth, copy the renamed file to the \maps folder on your Mio.
4. Run the Miomap v3 updater program. Your renamed file will fool the program into thinking that you have an old or damaged file that needs replacing, and will download a new copy from the server.

It worked for me!

Sal

Sal,

Will try the above, however it's not flawless. The results above i was getting using the "UK2006.01+" (GreatBritain7ppc.fbl) file i.e. even though this may work to a point (and it does seem to), it's still missing several valid postcodes...

However i've now loaded BOTH files (the ppc and the original non-ppc Version), and even though the file selected is still the ppc one, it seems to find them ok now...

Stranger and stranger....

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: