Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 6/7 Digit postcode search not working after 3.2 upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

6/7 Digit postcode search not working after 3.2 upgrade
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: 6/7 Digit postcode search not working after 3.2 upgrade Reply with quote

As title, on a C510E. Upgrade appeared to go fine, with no errors. But now when taking the "change city" option on the address menu, I can only input the first 4 digits of a postcode (i.e. S60 5), before being forced to enter a road name - before I could enter the full postcode e.g. S60 5TR, and would be prompted for a house number.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I downgrade from the original DVD, then try the upgrade again? Or has the method of entering the full postcode changed on 3.2?

TIA

Si.
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ......... I can put in a full UK post code of 7 characters (including the central space) but unless I select a road (it seems to list every road in Norfolk) it just gives a city centre location. So if I put in NR4 1PA it just gives me Norwich city centre and not the actual postcode location. Is it supposed to work like this? Not much good if it does.
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put in the full 7 digit postcodes for home and work and both give the correct location.

The 7 digit postcode for one of our suppliers also gives the correct location - try WA7 4UJ and see if you get a street name.
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy - I can only enter WA7 4 before any further input is barred. I can't understand it at all, but it definitely worked fine before the 3.2 update.

I'm wondering if the maps work the same way as Tomtom (with a seperate postcode file) and I've somehow lost it during the upgrade.

Has anyone else upgraded to 3.2 and got this problem? I've scoured the manual and can't find any option to activate / deactivate full postcode searches.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C710 certainly works differently now. I used to be able to enter the full postcode, now it stops before I can enter the last two letters and jumps to the 'choose a road' screen.
That's all very well if you know the road, but if you only have the postcode it could be a problem.

Sal
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
My C710 certainly works differently now. I used to be able to enter the full postcode, now it stops before I can enter the last two letters and jumps to the 'choose a road' screen.
That's all very well if you know the road, but if you only have the postcode it could be a problem.

Sal

Hi Sal

That's exactly the problem I now have. It certainly appears the update has done something undesireable to the postcode searching.

I may well try restoring v3 from the DVD, to see if that fixes the problem. If I do I'll post back with my findings.

Si.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 6/7 Digit postcode search not working after 3.2 upgrade Reply with quote

Simebaby wrote:
As title, on a C510E. Upgrade appeared to go fine, with no errors. But now when taking the "change city" option on the address menu, I can only input the first 4 digits of a postcode (i.e. S60 5), before being forced to enter a road name - before I could enter the full postcode e.g. S60 5TR, and would be prompted for a house number.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I downgrade from the original DVD, then try the upgrade again? Or has the method of entering the full postcode changed on 3.2?

TIA

Si.

Oh dear, it would be a huge problem if the 3.2 upgrade doesn't allow for UK 7 digit postcode searching. Is there any way of confirming that this isn't an installation error but actually a feature of Miomap 3.2 on the 510/710?
guy1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 6/7 Digit postcode search not working after 3.2 upgrade Reply with quote

I had the same issue following the upgrade - only able to enter 4 digits of a postcode.

It seems that this is due to the UK map that comes with the 3.2 upgrade. This is 85Meg (and is version 2006.01) verse the 92Meg (version 2006.01+) that came with the 3.1.

I've installed the 3.1 UK map over the top of the 3.2 software, and the 7 digit postcode search now works fine.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just copy the map file over with bluetooth?
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can copy it with bluetooth (which is what I'm doing) but be aware it will take a while.

I've got to pop out so I can just leave it running. Hopefully putting the original maps back will solve the problem - I'll post once it's finished.
bigrids
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just checked my C510 and I can get full 7 digit postcodes( I have 3.2)but on checking my UK map I notice it is 2006.01+. So I don't know how that happened when I did the upgrade.

Which is the most up to date map then?

Bigrids
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very well going back to the old map, and I will probably do the same, but that means we lose any map updates that were included.
I'm going to send an email to Mio asking how they expect us to go to a postcode without an address. I don't expect to get an answer though unless they have changed their system.

Sal
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
I've put in the full 7 digit postcodes for home and work and both give the correct location.

The 7 digit postcode for one of our suppliers also gives the correct location - try WA7 4UJ and see if you get a street name.

You are right it does work !! I don't get a street name but I do get a map location. I notice though that some post codes do not work. Perhaps they are not valid ones.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rronaldson wrote:
MioC210user wrote:

You are right it does work !! I don't get a street name but I do get a map location. I notice though that some post codes do not work. Perhaps they are not valid ones.

It doesn't work for me. As soon as I enter the 4 it goes to the street names and there are 32 pages of them!
My UK map is 2006.01 (without the +).

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we establish if it's certain devices that do or don't work?

My C210 still works with a 7 digit postcode.

Which device(s) are other people using?

Can we determine if it's device specific or if it could be a general problem?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: