Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My Tom Tom one V2 GB doesn't find the fastest route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My Tom Tom one V2 GB doesn't find the fastest route
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: My Tom Tom one V2 GB doesn't find the fastest route Reply with quote

Does anybody else have the same problem with the TT one V2 GB version not finding the quickest route ?

With the preference set to fastest I put in my destination - I've found in some instances that if I block off certain roads on the proposed route I can find a quicker route (in distance and journey time)Sad

What's worse the information can be 300 - 500% out. On driving home from a meeting I had to take a detour due to congestion on the proposed route. I reached the A4 and the TT wanted me to turn left estimated journey 29 minutes and 7.9 miles. I turned right and the TT immediately recalculated 9 minutes and 2 miles Sad

I've contacted TT but all support can tell me this is due to the routing algorithym (Really - I'd have never have guessed:!: )
and I have the option to reprogramme the unit if I don't like the TT's routing. As far as I'm concerned not while I'm driving Evil or Very Mad

This issue makes the TT useless as far as I'm concerned - If I knew the way always I wouldnt need a Sat Nav.

Anybody else experienced similar problems Question
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My Tom Tom one V2 GB doesn't find the fastest route Reply with quote

JoshT wrote:
Does anybody else have the same problem with the TT one V2 GB version not finding the quickest route ?

With the preference set to fastest I put in my destination - I've found in some instances that if I block off certain roads on the proposed route I can find a quicker route (in distance and journey time)Sad

What's worse the information can be 300 - 500% out. On driving home from a meeting I had to take a detour due to congestion on the proposed route. I reached the A4 and the TT wanted me to turn left estimated journey 29 minutes and 7.9 miles. I turned right and the TT immediately recalculated 9 minutes and 2 miles Sad

I've contacted TT but all support can tell me this is due to the routing algorithym (Really - I'd have never have guessed:!: )
and I have the option to reprogramme the unit if I don't like the TT's routing. As far as I'm concerned not while I'm driving Evil or Very Mad

This issue makes the TT useless as far as I'm concerned - If I knew the way always I wouldnt need a Sat Nav.

Anybody else experienced similar problems Question

Could you post the exact starting and ending points (or v close to?) as this is likely to be very route specific I'd have thought.

tw
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither would u with a five year out of date map.. or at least sometimes u wouldnt.. i think it just goes for the "use the motorways" approach if possible.. it cant be that clever.. its only a computer after all..

trog
mlhindley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
neither would u with a five year out of date map.. or at least sometimes u wouldnt.. i think it just goes for the "use the motorways" approach if possible.. it cant be that clever.. its only a computer after all..

trog

I think that much of the problem (for me at least) is that the V2 seems to avoid using Motorways and 'fast' A-roads wherever possible - and I only ever use the 'fastest route' setting!

I'll be taking the V2 back and swapping it for a V1 unit in the next few days, as my old V1 (now used by my brother) always seemed to suggest much more logical routes for the journeys I know well, meaning that I tend to trust it far more for those I don't!!!!

Not really a major concern, but I notice that the V2 seems to take 200-300% longer that a V1 to (re)calculate more complex routes when running them side-by-side for test purposes. (Yet the raw processor speed alone suggests that it should offer c.70% of V1 performance!)
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed: To answer your question

Try start point: Taplow Station near Maidenhead (Bucks)

Finish: Maidenhead, Berks: junction Oldfield road, Bray Road and Forlease road.

FYI - I've taken the unit back. I'm waiting to see if the European version is any better. This is a show stopper for me on the regional version. Also the POI are all over the place. I guess they put them on using post codes ; for the petrol stations I've looked at some are on the wrong side of the street, wrong road or even worse routed to a Cul de sac in a housing estate will no access the the petrol station forecourt Exclamation
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u only have to look at the new intel cpu and compare it to the earlier P4 to know that raw processor speed alone dosnt count for much..

i assume that a tomtom 400 mhz is better than a 200 one but i should know better.. he he

trog
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Route TT1 V2 Reply with quote

Here is the route I got on my TT1 New Edition using your route instructions.

Click the Pics to enlarge.

Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Route TT1 V2 Reply with quote

uptowndisco wrote:
Here is the route I got on my TT1 New Edition using your route instructions.

Click the Pics to enlarge. (snipped)

my TT300 the same, and looking at the map its hard to see how any other route could be given.

I wonder what route it was trying?? A4 to M4 and then back up again? I tried with an alternative starting point much closer to the M4 but it still wouldnt take me that way.

Is the 'bad' route repeatable when you do advanced planning?

Tw
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If navigating with "Fastest Route" doesn't give you the expected result's use the "Shortest Route". Remember it's only a computer and doesn't alway's get things right. Maybe TomTom will improve the route calculation in the next Firmware update as they have done with V6.51 Firmware for the x10 serie's.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking.

Well thats the correct route! I guess the TT was trying to stay with the original route from Milton Keynes M1-M25-M4.

Another instance of not finding the fastest route is:

Start: Junction Bray Road/Chiltern road Maidenhead
Finish: POI, Ferry Terminal, Poole passenger ferry.

TT takes you to M3 at J 3 ? journey 2 hours 9 minutes

by blocking off roads you can get a quicker route by getting on the M4 at J8/9 then down the A33 .... This saves about 4 minutes and 4 miles. Not so bad but another instance of the device not being able to find the quickest route.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with sat nav and users views of it is that it has to calculate the fastest route in the shortest time which may not be the best route..

Saving 4 minutes on a 2 hour Journey is a difference of only 3% - well within most applications of this types "tolerable error".

If it took say 4 minutes to calculate the route (by looking at every road combination possible) rather than say 30 seconds it's likely that there would be tons of posts about calculation times (4 years ago on these forums there were loads of posts about navigator taking minutes and minutes to calculate certain routes. Also if it took a long time to sort the route the saving on the journey would vanish.

The thing about sat nav is that it will get you to a destination without you having to ask directions but local knowledge will always be better - thats why London cabbies take the "knowledge".

The next firmware may well tweak the routing as it has done on different versions in the past.
JoshT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned the unit has a major flaw - thats what computers are designed to do. i'm not so worried about the extra 4 minutes on a 2 hour journey. It's the problem I encountered coming back Milton Keynes ending up at taplow station due to hold ups only to find it wants to route me a much longer route back home. I'd be really hacked off if it did it to me when I was travelling in any area I didn't know.

Lack of TMC is also an issue on the TT1 now, my phones not compatible Crying or Very sad

Was going to consider the TT one v2 European but think I'll wait for the Nuvi 660 released
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshT wrote:
Thanks for checking.

Well thats the correct route! I guess the TT was trying to stay with the original route from Milton Keynes M1-M25-M4.

Another instance of not finding the fastest route is:

Start: Junction Bray Road/Chiltern road Maidenhead
Finish: POI, Ferry Terminal, Poole passenger ferry.

TT takes you to M3 at J 3 ? journey 2 hours 9 minutes

by blocking off roads you can get a quicker route by getting on the M4 at J8/9 then down the A33 .... This saves about 4 minutes and 4 miles. Not so bad but another instance of the device not being able to find the quickest route.

Well, that is a bit picky, but living in the area if I was doing that route the M4/A33/M3 (and then M27 I presume) would seem the obvious one...OK lets see what my 300 says....2:02 95.2 miles..yes and thats m3 to m27.

The way I look at this, its job is to get me somewhere where I dont know the area, anda few minutes doesnt make any difference (compared to the time I'd spend being lost!!). However, it seems from your experience that for very short journeys it certainly pays to look at the route and make sure its not choosing something completely barking!

Tw
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point to consider, and this applys to ALL sat nav systems, IF your local knowledge is better than the device's chosen route simply ignore the nav unit and go your own way, the same applys if the device tells you to go through deep water, across a field etc - simply ignore it and continue -

For either of these senarios the nav unit will re-compute a new route and still take you to your destination, to be honest saving a projected 2 or 3 mins over a couple of hours journey is not relevent.

The reality is traffic jams/ accidents etc, if you chose an "Avoid part of route" because of traffic then it can add distance and time to the trip, but its still quicker than sitting stationary for hours going nowhere, give the device a chance to reroute in advance to miss the hold ups - its called Traffic, but it costs, and you would need to re-consider the phone - Mike
m3crj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: tt1 v2 Reply with quote

don't forget ppl computers don't do compramise make sure ya settings are all set ok in ya menu u can set it to avoid motor ways and A roads sat nav units are here to assist u to get some where and human interface is always need i.e drive asmuch of the way as u can from you own knowledge and let the tt recalculate for the bits ya don't know not had no probs with my tt1 v2 updated the firmware otherday more phone compatibility and gets me from a to b without all the shouting and screeming for directions (that's usually me)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: