Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Own Nav 5 - What to do about Nav 6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Own Nav 5 - What to do about Nav 6?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
pendlemac wrote:
Hmm, will the free updates be actual V6 software or just the current V5.21 stuff I wonder.
I don't think the upgrades - which will be the latest maps (which will require (because of embeded speed limits and the like)- and include for free - Nav 6) are free, they're discounted.

Oops! Should have made it clear I was referring only to the free software upgrade provided with each paid for map. Sorry. Embarassed

bedbug wrote:
pendlemac wrote:
As TT6 is supposed to work with the HOME module on a PC to allow planning at home I may go for that anyway.
Again I might be wrong, but I think the home planning functionality of Home only functions with a PND connected; I don't think TT will bother to struggle to communicate with the bewildering array of OSs and hardware devices in the PDA & Mobile worlds that Nav 6 supports.

Isn't it possible to advance plan on your PDA in your hand when sat in front of a PC anyway? (Genuine question - I never manage to think far enough ahead to have tried to make use of what I thought was an existing feature of Nav 5!).

The writeup for Home on the TT website talks about it being used to install upgrades so I assume it's goting to work via ActiveSync. I have a standalone PC planner, but as I usually have the PDA connected when at home it just seemed a useful thing to be able to free up 1Gb of space on my PC by using TT on the PDA. :D

BTW, as it's mentioned a feature of TT6 they must be trying to make it work somehow.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pendlemac wrote:

The writeup for Home on the TT website talks about it being used to install upgrades so I assume it's goting to work via ActiveSync. I have a standalone PC planner, but as I usually have the PDA connected when at home it just seemed a useful thing to be able to free up 1Gb of space on my PC by using TT on the PDA. :D

BTW, as it's mentioned a feature of TT6 they must be trying to make it work somehow.

Excellent stuff - in the current release of HOME the help file says of advanced planning,
Quote:
This feature is not available if you are using TomTom NAVIGATOR or TomTom MOBILE.

I'm using HOME with Nav 5 at the moment (it gave me a map update I would never have known about otherwise!). here to find out how.
insidechamonix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeM132 wrote:
pendlemac wrote:
Hmm, will the free updates be actual V6 software or just the current V5.21 stuff I wonder.

Having just got an insurance replacement for my 3 month old XDA Exec I don't know if I should get hold of TT support and jump through their hoops for activating a replacement PDA or wait the three months that it will probably take and get a six-monthly code anyway or even get TT6 as I assume that will have a different activation code. Actually, as TT6 is supposed to work with the HOME module on a PC to allow planning at home I may go for that anyway.

I downloaded "home" and it could not see my connected smartphone (Palm Treo 650). Did me no good since I couldn't upload anything via "home", so I removed it from the PC. I do not think "home" works with smartphones.

Home does indeed see Windows Mobile 5 smartphones, I connected my Orange SPV M3100 to activesync and when i installed HOME it found it (albeit as a Hermes 100) and reads from it fine.

Yet to see if it will be supported with the upgrade (it isn't listed yet) but my brother purchased the TomTom Bluetooth package on SD and after copying the files from the supplied "MiniSD" to the required "MicroSD" and running it on the M3100, it works perfectly!
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one question I would like answered.

Have the UK maps been updated in TTN6? Question

I use the A1(M) most of the time and all the new roads are totally confusin TT especially the A1(M)/M62 junction and Blackcat r/a area. Also loads of new roads and by-passes in East Anglia leave you driving cross country in TT.

Voice keeps telling me to turn right, turn left, turn around and I'm fed up with it.
Rikaline GPS Receiver
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogbear wrote:

Voice keeps telling me to turn right, turn left, turn around and I'm fed up with it.

Umm... I asked TT Supprt to comment on your plight - They replied:

Quote:
We would strongly recommend rogbear to move home

{arranging objects on desk} but... well... maybe they'd had a long day and...err...

This post may or may not contain certain untruths
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, my request for help on the subject got a sort of non-answer imimating that I should buy TT6 and find out ... errr NO!!

When you consider that most roads are planned well in advance and most have now been open for quite a long time they should be on the mapping software.

If I bought TT6 and it wasn't there I'd have not send it back for a refund as "Not fit for purpose!".

What do the map makers have to do, simply drive the new roads and add them to the existing maps. Belive me, we are being conned.
Rikaline GPS Receiver
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogbear wrote:
Believe me, we are being conned.

I wouldn't say conned, but we're not being well served.

I imagine it's a challenge producing GPS-accurate map data. What few seem to manage is to generate a regular programme of updates, akin to the speed camera database we're served here.

Once the mapping is in place, there's then all the fiddling about that a company like TT has to do with the raw data.

Before you can start fiddling, you have to call a halt to changes to the mapping (otherwise you're chasing a moving {no pun intended} target).

So once you start fiddling, your data is already no longer current.

No doubt your fiddling involves some new software developments. If the chocolate teapot dept. is any indication, TT developers aren't well organised, accurate or very expeditious. No doubt, there isn't a rolling programme of fiddling, so 12 months (or more) of a fiddling programme ends, everyone takes a breather, then they take a fresh dip into the pool of map development and the whole cycle begins again. Then you hold the release of new maps/code so as not to clash with the release of your new PNDs, then you time everything for an expo somewhere or to coincide with a shareholder's meeting, and before you know it, everything's based upon data that's at least 2 years out of date and only then do you get 90% of your software testing done (by your customers) and discover that just about everything's wrong! By the time you have a product that's worthy of pride, it looks more like a historical document than a state-of-the-art GPS system.

And then we all winge because some new soopa-doopa feature renders most of our PDAs and smartphones obsolete, and everyone within the chocolate teapot wonders why they ever bothered!

Ah, ain't life great!
Laughing
rogbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it roads don't change that often and not quickly. By the time a road is finished it should be available on the GPS software, especially major roads like the A1(M) and M62 etc. i.e. major routes.

Why can't they do what the paper map makers do and put marks for roads under construction, then, if you drive along the marks TT can recognise it as a road and calculate properly, if you don't drive on it then TT should know it's not open. A simple map upgrade with the new roads correctly marked should then be a free upgrade like Microsoft fixes.

TomTom are taking us for a ride!
Rikaline GPS Receiver
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well these new roads such as the M62 juntion appear on Ordnance Survey maps as planned roads years before they are opened so the knowledge about their route exists. I suppose the commercial mappers know they will sell their maps whether they are accuratate or not so they don't spend too much money on accuracy.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Well these new roads such as the M62 juntion appear on Ordnance Survey maps as planned roads years before they are opened so the knowledge about their route exists. I suppose the commercial mappers know they will sell their maps whether they are accuratate or not so they don't spend too much money on accuracy.

I'm not sure that's quite right overall. ...you telling me that the current batch of 2007 road maps for sale in W H Smiths are any more up to date than TT's or any other GPS maps ?
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Mikeact, that's very often the case. You see, the paper maps can be based on the planned route, and don't have to be as accurate in terms of scale, junction layout etc. The level of detail is much smaller.

For instance, there was a new trunk road completed near me in March 2005 (the A726 Glasgow Southern Orbital). The new road appeared on the 2005 AA paper maps that were released in late 2004. I don't know if the road is on the maps that TT is releasing with v6, but it certainly wasn't on the map release that accompanied v5 in mid-2005, by which time the road was open.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A1 modifications were on the 2005 Ordnance Survey maps at Ferrybridge and Wetherby.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accuracy of map data is a debate that has been around since TT3 days (possibly since the the 1st upgrade came out), biggest was the huge M6 Toll debate.

Basically whatever version TT bring out the map data is around 18 months old, there seem to be no exceptions

I like to have the latest and greatest of most things, but this time after reading all the TT6 posts I'm yet to see the benefits of parting with another £70, I will stick with 5.21 for the moment.
Trev1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
Aha!

Something interesting...

Here TT have updated the page that used to talk about an upgrade programme starting at the beginning of Q3. Now it reads:

Quote:
Introducing a new map update program. Soon existing TomTom customers will be able to purchase the latest maps at a discount. Each map package also includes free updates to the TomTom software.

SOON. That's a revision SINCE I was told there would be no upgrade programme by support (see here).

All may not be lost!

Tom Tom has now updated the support section on their web site and this now reads:

Quote:
Introducing a new map update program. Soon existing TomTom customers will be able to purchase the latest maps. Each map package also includes free updates to the TomTom software.

The words "at a discount" following purchase the latest maps has been deleted. It looks like all us existing customers who have been hanging on for months waiting for discounted maps has been shafted
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev1 wrote:
The words "at a discount" following purchase the latest maps has been deleted. It looks like all us existing customers who have been hanging on for months waiting for discounted maps has been shafted

Well, that appears to confirm what many customers think of the company, doesn't it?!

Let's see what they say - I can't really understand the difference between buying the product fresh and an update programme if there's no financial benefit to the latter - in fact, if there's no price difference, why would anyone upgrade?! I'd rather contribute to the hassle of administrating new customers.

Hopefully we'll still benefit from using Home to download updates rather than paying for SD cards or DVDs.

Whatever happens, I no longer have any guilt in calling the company a bunch of incompetent w*nkers! Schools of commerce should use these half-wits as a case study.
{Woooosh} Wave bye to your customer base!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: