Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No V6 Upgrade - Official from TomTom Support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No V6 Upgrade - Official from TomTom Support
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: No V6 Upgrade - Official from TomTom Support Reply with quote

I asked:

Quote:
Hi folks,

You've announced the introduction of Nav 6. When will you be announcing the discounted upgrade programme for map/software (as referred to in your existing support document)? Apparently you will make the announcement by the infrequent newsletter (see your own website archive!!) - I'm not asking how, but WHEN. Many thanks in anticipation of a helpful reply.

They replied:

Quote:
Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

The Navigator 6 software will be released soon.
Unfortunately we it will not be offered as an upgrade. Due to it's newer and better functionality that has expanded a lot of compatible devices for Navigator 5 are not compatible with Navigator 6, due to processor speed etc.

This means that there is no upgrade offer for Navigator 6.

Please check the website frequently for any news concerning the release of Navigator 6 and the offers given.

We hope to have answered your question.
Should you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

Incidentally, '...Unfortunately we it will not be offered...' is as TT Support wrote.

I guess the only issue is that I referred to Nav 6, and not to a map upgrade programme (which they've previously said would include free software).

I've had Nav 5 for 3 months. Can't imagine TT will retain my loyalty for long!!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may make sense

the map set for WE isn't teleatlas so perhaps they have to pay a different level of fee for the Navteq maps...

Also tradionally they have really mucked up the upgrade distribution each time over the past 2 years and it's obvious they they don't give a tinkers for the pda version anymore. Perhaps upgrades just aren't worth the hassle for them.

either way at £100 ono for the full WE map set I'll be buying - although as my gps unit is playing up I think now maybe the time to jump to one of the the new ONE units.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
I think now maybe the time to jump to one of the the new ONE units.

Don't do it!! that's just what they want you to do!!!

8O
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I think you're tight about that

BUT

£100 quid for a new bt gps
and another £100 for Nav 6
plus my pda is almost 2 years old.........

be mad to spend that and then have the pda go tits up......

Also I won't need the WE maps until next summer - so the regional ONE would do me fine. for the next 9 months then I buy a french map
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not tight - right Embarassed
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud I AM tight, as it happens! Laughing Out Loud

Well, as I've said elsewhere, I think it's ethically bankrupt to sell something as time-limited as gps mapping without an upgrade path. I've had my device for only 3 months, yet the mapping is a year old. I now have to buy an entirely new system to have something reliable? Wish I had TT shares!! They think we should replace our systems every three months!!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your palm run windows mobile - if not I've seen no mention of the palm version - could be wrong though.....

I still think at some point there will be a sweetner but not as good as before.... I'm also wary of committing more money to the pda version when they make so little out of it compared to their other products....
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I'm Palm.

Sure they have a nightmare knowing how to support PDAs/Mobiles - but it's a growing market (and they've just announced alliances with Palm and Windows Mobile platform manufacturers - so they haven't given up just yet).

If we assume that they'll develop their software product to run on PNDs, then the cost of porting is minimal (it'll be interesting to see how Nav 6 as a universal product for PPC, Palm and Mobile will get on - I wont suggest for a second that porting and supporting so many different technology platforms is easy, but its standard practice in TT's industry). If they can get TT Home working well, there's really no need to distribute maps via optical disc or flash memory. Once development is finished, the cost of selling is zero. Compare that to the cost of manufacturing the PND.

I'd be selling to PDAs until the cows come home!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the TomTom response is correct, another one of their confused replies.

If this correct, this does not match what they have done for the GO 300,500 & 700 users who have received a free upgrade.

Also if they do not provide a free upgrade, TomTom will have to produce and maintain two map versions, as V5 application does not support V6 map data.

Bottom line for me is this, I'll happily pay a fair price for an upgrade. If there's no upgrade available legit users like me will either find an alternative or use the pirate versions.

Wake up TomTom, smell the coffe and start looking after your loyal customers....
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
I
Also if they do not provide a free upgrade, TomTom will have to produce and maintain two map versions, as V5 application does not support V6 map data.

I doubt they'll maintain V5 maps anymore, forcing anyone who wants upgraded maps to upgrade to V6.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
Yup I'm Palm.

no way that you are out of luck then. Check out the Palm USA website. They bundle TTN6 (6.00) with Treo650 and Treo700. So surely there is a compatible combination available.
I would be very surprised if this is not offered to current users one way or the other.

The problem of forcing users into buying V6 is taht not all PDA's are supported. Tomtom is better off offering 2006 maps with limited V5 functionality to the 'older' PDAs. And if you want full V6 functionality, then you buy a new TTN6 package (if you have one of the compatible devices).
This way the number of PDAs to support for the V6/7/.. software are limited to the recent models only
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can run Nav 6. But I bought Nav 5 just 90 days ago, assured by a statement still on TT's website that there WOULD be an upgrade programme to Nav 6. As you can see from my first post, that still existing statement is in fact, according to TT's support TODAY, a lie - or at least a false statement. I have NO doubt that TT personnel visit these forums (I think you of all people should agree) and I hope they feel as sickened as I do by their own behaviour.
weatheryoko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Hold on....Do the right thing.... Reply with quote

-----Total Personal Opinion Piece-------------
-----This is NOT an attack aimed at anyone---------
-----Except the low life scum that uses pirated software------

[soapbox]

Not that it probably matters, but some of the responses I'm reading on the boards is bothersome. I do agree that TT should offer a discount for existing customers, BUT if an update program is not available, this should never be used as an excuse to use pirated software.

I just upgraded my wife's in-car navigation maps (it's an Acura). I paid ~$150.00 for the maps. There were no "if you bought last year's maps, you get a discount". It was very simple. If you want the latest maps, buy the DVD. There were no discounts.

From what I've seen, (even at a fully priced version of ~$150.00)TomTom is asking a reasonable price for this software (i.e. it's inline with what the GPS market is asking for new maps). TT6 is not just a software upgrade, it's also a map upgrade. I'd like an upgrade path, but if its not available, then I'll have to make a decision. Shell out some money, or don't get the upgrade. Simple.

Using pirated software just takes away from TT's revenue for the PPC side of the house and increases the likelyhood that they will no longer produce a software package for this platform. I don't really want an AIO. I like using TomTom on my O2 2i. I hate to see future versions of TT released only as part of an AIO package. That would be truly sad.

Using pirated software is just wrong and hurts everyone and there is no justification in using it. If one of your pals is using pirated software, encourage them to either stop using it, or pay for it.

As stated above, this is totally my own opinion and is not meant to be attacking anyone in this thread.

[/soapbox]
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, GPS is not a consumable. It's not food, with a logical expiry date. As I've said many times before, I'll do anything I can do to hasten the demise of TT and any other company that does not value its customers or understand that GPS software is simply a 'carrier' for the real valuable - the mapping. Forget TT - they don't own the maps. Anyone (with the desire) can develop software around someone else's map. That's why TT is so agressive - it could be wiped out in seconds. Remember when Altavista was the only solution in internet search? Poof... Gone. TT's a bad bet - anyone can replace them. All they do is licence and re-licence.

What amazes me is that the mapping companies don't buy TT and others, and set up a really logical subscription service to maintain the validity of maps - just like this site with POIs. TT could be making a fortune out of me, and sharing it with the mappers. See Nokia buy into this - within 18 months I expect most mobiles will have GPS built in, effectively for free. But watch out, you'll be paying your service provider for mapping data. It's about then that the true shame of TT's squandered opportunity will be known.

Forget the pirates. TT can only address those that will pay money to it. That's what should really be giving them sleepless nights - there's no greater incentive to an existing/new customer to be disloyal to the brand than treating them like sh1t!
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
Sorry, GPS is not a consumable. It's not food, with a logical expiry date. As I've said many times before, I'll do anything I can do to hasten the demise of TT and any other company that does not value its customers or understand that GPS software is simply a 'carrier' for the real valuable - the mapping.

That is not entirely correct. TTN is a fairly sophisticated piece of software and dismiss it as a "carrier" is a mistake. TomTom was the first company to bring us usable GPS car navigation for PPCs, they were the first to bring us cheap PNDs (or AiO devices). When the Classics appeared on the market they were half the price of Garmin's units.

bedbug wrote:

Forget TT - they don't own the maps. Anyone (with the desire) can develop software around someone else's map.

Many tried, only iGO seems like getting close. If you think that everything is in the maps, it's yet another mistake - there are some cheaper alternatives to TT, alas they are not a pleasure to use. Another thing which you should consider is how much work TT is putting into making the raw mapping data from TA or Navteq into TT format, which allows the navigation software to be very quick and operate very smoothly. A very simple example - map of WE now 800 M, four months ago - 1.5 G. Maps of WE on SD card - around £140 two months ago, around £90 today.
bedbug wrote:

That's why TT is so agressive - it could be wiped out in seconds.

I would read their quarterly reports if I were you

bedbug wrote:

What amazes me is that the mapping companies don't buy TT and others, and set up a really logical subscription service to maintain the validity of maps - just like this site with POIs.

Could it be because their business is making maps, not navigation software?

bedbug wrote:

TT could be making a fortune out of me, and sharing it with the mappers.

since when 80 quid (if that) is a fortune?

bedbug wrote:

See Nokia buy into this - within 18 months I expect most mobiles will have GPS built in, effectively for free.

You didn't do your homework, did you? They just bought a German navigation company and GPS chipsets are not expensive - around $5 mark, so they are "effectvely free".

Having said that I agree that not giving a free or low cost upgrade from v5 to v6 together with the newer maps is a strange and perhaps unwise move.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: