Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Speed Sentry 1.4 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Speed Sentry 1.4 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting but forgive me if I ask a somewhat dumb question Smile

Does it know when you are in a certain speed limited zone - or do you have to manually change the limits yourself?

Otherwise I would see this is a great piece of kit for a man with 6 points Rolling Eyes
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You select the speed limit that you want from the selection on screen

(40 50 60 etc)

it then warns you when approaching and again when you have exceeded that speed

Wiz :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that for now the software will not help you with SPECs areas. The average speed is not reset when you change the speed limit. But there's hope that tchart will implement that in a later release.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put it onto my Ipaq 4700 running WM5 and I'm not too happy with the display. The menu bar at the bottom is overwriting the lower 3 speed catagories.

Now, I know I can press the little arrow and it goes full screen, but there is so much screen real estate that this should not be necessary.

So, Trevor, can you investigate this a bit and see if this can be fixed?

Thanks

Alan
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I think I retract my last post. When it got a GPS signal, the menu bar disappeared (it may have been before). So, I don't know why it didn't go before - but it seems OK now.

So, I'll go and pay me money now....

Alan
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your support (I saw your order earlier today).

Apologies for not answering your post before you figured it out yourself but Ive had a busy day and havent had a chance to catch up with things until now.

The toolbar hide/show functionality is there to maximise the screen real estate - the original program only had 3 speed limits to pick from. I agree that its not too obvious to start with but it serves it purpose and I think its the best way to compromise between screen real estate and menu options.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for future enhancements.

Regards
Trevor Hart
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things spring to mind:

1. I am using this on my motorcycle. It is a pain doing a reset from the menu. Can we have buttons (large ones) so I can just hit the screen and the av speed etc does a reset? Possibly replacing the large icons above the speed display (an option?) which I don't need while I am driving.

2. In the car, the Ipaq is on my left near the steering wheel. The large speed numbers are on the right and get partially obscured by the steering wheel. Can we have an option where they are left justified?

I'm sure I will think of others.

Alan
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what is the point of the "Mirror" option?

Alan
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

The idea behind this is to use the display as a heads up display by reflecting the screen onto your windscreen (for night driving). Ive never used it myself but I had a few requests for it but never had much feedback about whether its useful or not.

Regards
Trevor Hart
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the display of the PDA reflecting off the windscreen, but it suffers from double vision (Not red wine induced), this is quite normal with reflections on to car glass due to the shape of the screen and thickness of the glass. These two effect combine to produce a miss shaped image with very pronounced ghosting - the display is viewable though at night.

I have tried the application in this way a couple of times, put the display into night mode and its not too bad (finding night mode is problematic though) - in mirror screen mode the display pixels are correct but the screen map for where the buttons are pressed is not - you can find the screen you want with a bit of messing around (I couldn't get the speed limit settings to work at all when the screen is in mirror mode - you can see them but they refuse to be selected, no matter where you tap the screen) this has been the same for a while - but probably not reported because who drives around using an XDA-Exec as a heads up display generator? - mounting the unit in a suitable position for doing this type of work proves interesting, a large ball of Blu-Tak to secure the device to the dash at the correct angle and position

As for using the device in SPECS zoned areas I find it very useful, my aim is to not speed at all through these locations, so if I don't exceed the limit the average speed is not relevant - the warning should I have a moments loss of speed control is very useful, each to there own on this one - Mike
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments.

When the screen is mirrored the coordiantes should be transposed so that when you tap on something it should work as per usual. I will give it a try and see if I can replicate the problem you described.

Were you running it in portrait or landscape?

regards
Trevor Hart
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Landscape mode, it is difficult to get at the PDA screen when you use it like this, but when you tap the screen you get unexpected results, its almost as if the display is mirrored but the detection isn't - the detection for the speed selections becomes hidden behind the main text display and cannot be selected (only in mirrored mode)
- once you try it out it will be fairly obvious what is going on - if I rotate the screen to portrait mode everything works as it should do even when mirrored - Mike
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
A couple of things spring to mind:

1. I am using this on my motorcycle. It is a pain doing a reset from the menu. Can we have buttons (large ones) so I can just hit the screen and the av speed etc does a reset? Possibly replacing the large icons above the speed display (an option?) which I don't need while I am driving.

2. In the car, the Ipaq is on my left near the steering wheel. The large speed numbers are on the right and get partially obscured by the steering wheel. Can we have an option where they are left justified?

I'm sure I will think of others.

Alan

Hi Alan

The final intention of the GPS Menu (ie the menu button on the left) is that it will become an "action" button. At the moment the action is preset to toggle the GPS but the goal is to allow other things such as changing speed limits, resetting averages, muting the application and anything else I can think of that may be useful as a one button click action.

Resetiing the average speed this way will obviously be handy fpr those darned specs cameras that Mike was mentioning!

Regarding the justification of the text, thats an easy thing to do. I will add that to the list of things to do Smile

Regards
Trevor Hart
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: This should keep you occupied for a while... Reply with quote

OK - used it this morning and a couple more things you could add:

1. Can you please have an option to remember the average speed and trip/mileometer when shutting down? If I stop at the services, I switch off the Ipaq. Come back to the program and it's all gone back to zero. Not good.....

2. This one should keep you occupied for a while Smile)). How about linking in with the speed camera databases so you can give a warning when approaching one - maybe a double warning if approaching it at speed. In the UK, we have a LOT of them (as you maybe know) and this would be a wonderful addition to the program for all those who don't want to pay TomToms prices.

It shouldn't be too hard to work out which is the nearest and the angle it's at. If it's within (say) a 30 degree arc, sound a warning. It won't be perfect, but it should be useful. You may want to liaise with the folks on this forum.....

Cheers

Alan
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a small but annoying issue with sat signal the Red Cross keeps appearing plus the warning sound. Confused

Don’t get this problem with tom tom could it be that its bit to sensitive.

still like it :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: