Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Open the GMAPSUPP.UNL file with Notepad and replace the 25 digits code by the 25 digits code you get when you register your i3 on "My Garmin website: https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces .

Yes this makes sense , you would give the software code and the unit Id and use your scond liscence, but you only have 2 licenses dont you?
But if you have an I3 or C310 you dont have a disc with software so how can you get a second unlock code?

My maps are locked, I expect them to be locked. What elraco suggested would only work with unlocked maps.
Im not stupid with this I can even tell you how you can tell my gmapsupp.img is locked because the other img files within the gmapsupp are locked. Theres a line of bytes staring 0xD where on unlocked maps there are just 00 00 but on locked theres a code. This code deciphers the locked onformation that follows. Its good security. I know its locked to my I3. I accept that its right for Garmin to lock these maps. What is damned anoying though is that I have to use the same damed card and I cant merge in unlocked public access maps that are freely available for other parts of the world in with my Garmin data on one card.

When I got my I3 I registered it.

The reply is like this

Thank you for registering your GARMIN product. Please check the information below to ensure it is correct. This is your registration confirmation. To make corrections, please send an e-mail to registration@garmin.com. If everything is correct, you do not need to reply.

Name: *********
Street Address: ************
City: *************
State: Warwickshire
Zip/Postal Code: *******
Phone Number: ********
E-mail Address: **********

You registered the following product(s):
Name: StreetPilot i3
Purchase Date: ****-**-**
Dealer: Maplin.co.uk
Serial Number: *********

I did not get an unlock code, I knew I had one on the card though lik,e you say gmapsupp.unl

Now you tell me about this Garmin site but with I3 or C310 you dont have the software , to get an unlock code. And even if you did isn't the idea of getting an unlock code so you can use the software on upto 2 Garmin units so if you do this arent you using both your s/w licenses on the same machine which is a waist is it not?

So I think this is what youy tell me. Email Garmin and bother them and get another unlock code for my I3. To do this I will tell them my I3 serial number and hopefully they give me a new code for same unit. If I have this then I can use that new unlock code on any micro SD card with my maps and the maps should still be locked to my I3.
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried deleting the unl file on their original card and reinserting it back in their i3!i have and it makes no difference to the map what so ever so why use this file anyway.with the last couple of post's with what i can follow it is suggested i have purchased a i3 with an unlocked map but when i got home with it i went to the garmin site registered and unlocked the map,but i don't why because i used the i3 on the way home before it was unlocked just to see if it was as good as my old tomtom (which i lost in a house fire)and it worked.

i don't no if my original card works with other gps ie nuvi,310 etc but the backup copy does as this was the only one i took with me to the (place where they fit it for you)but i have a mate with a 310 and i will try it sometime this week.

if anyone can suggest away for me to prove that i have done what i have said i am willing to participate Laughing
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the .unl file is used or necessary for every day use. I think its just there because thats the code that was used to lock/unlock the maps to your I3 using your SD-card in the first place.
Could be if you send your SD card to Garmin to be upgraded to v8 maps they need to see that code on the card to be able to unlock the maps to your I3 when they put them on the card.
casablanca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Copying backup to new card Reply with quote

Worked a dream, first time.
I was always worried about losing the files.
Copied on to the new card as instructed.
Half the i3 owners in the country must have done it by now.
I'm now going to try a few more tricks.
CB
:D
elraco1 wrote:
this is gonna be a bit of a long post,This is how i backed my card up (for personal use) if it works for you remember its not illegal to backup for personal use but it is to sell it.

i have tried the backups in three different machines today(at the place where they will even fit for you) and my card worked in all three but i got a map from a mate and backed it up,his wouldn't work on mine,but mine worked on his.his machine has internal maps installed so he made a map and gave it to me to try.
this tells me that it has to be done on the machine the map is locked to,then it might be transferable like mine.but i don't want to go any further with this i'll leave that up to yourselves.

if your getting bored reading this,i'll tell you now then you can come back and read exactly how later because it only takes a couple of clicks with the mouse.and you'll just want to get on and do it.

get the program metrowizz http://www.geodude.nl/gps/ back your card up to computer as you normally would. connect your gps unit put blank card in open metrowizz click the agreement box then go to direct upload
use browse box
find your gmapsup file and thats it it will upload your map automatically
once its finished it should have the normal warning sign about using while driving.the first time i did it it came up with the annoying computer on screen and it was late so i switched it off and went to bed,got up in morning switched it on and the green line went across like it was updating.
but everytime i do it now it works no problem.
God i hope this works for you all now(but if it doesn't you will have to read on to see if theres anything different you can try(good luck)
i was gonna write software and all that bumf down but it's pointless if it works for you as well if it doesn't let me know. and i will tell you everything i did and the mistakes i made.

i3 verion3.10 city navigator europe nt+8 external microsd
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOY am i glad to read the last post begining to think i've been dreaming
thank you for trying and replying,(i guess i can relax now knowing that i have been proved right) Laughing Laughing
casablanca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owe you a pint mate
Cheers
CB :D
elraco1 wrote:
BOY am i glad to read the last post begining to think i've been dreaming
thank you for trying and replying,(i guess i can relax now knowing that i have been proved right) Laughing Laughing
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casablanca your reply is more than enough(talk about relief)thanx once again! Laughing
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
When i got home with it i went to the garmin site registered and unlocked the map

How did you unlock the map without a product code, my map came pre-loaded on the trans flash card.

Cannot see any way on the Garmin site to just register the i3 and get a new code, or am I missing the point.

The only software disc was the Garmin driver for the pc.
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: How did you unlock the map without a product code, my map ca Reply with quote

in the box that my garmin i3 came in was a yellow slip on the slip is your serial number
reg code
unlock code(25 digits)

i was told by the supplier i had to go and register all the codes for my warranty so i did but like i said earlier it didn't seem to make any difference,but like you say mine came with a preloaded map and no software so wht the 25 digit code is for i don't know,but if i go to garmin website just tells me maps unlocked uk ireland nt.
hope this helps Laughing
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this has no bearing on this whole issue but I have had confirmed by Garmin that the mapping cards of various other countries, Iberia etc, sold separately will work in any and all i3 units. Thus I was able to sell on my Iberia card on EBay with no adverse comeback from the purchaser.

Surely the UK card can't be unique in this respect.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this just applies to the card that's supplied with the device.

I'm sure we'll all find out when the next version of the maps is released and we have to buy it separately. Sad
Samsung Galaxy S21
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be the acid test!!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you unlock the map without a product code, my ma Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
in the box that my garmin i3 came in was a yellow slip on the slip is your serial number - reg code - unlock code(25 digits)

Just looked in the box, no yellow slip. Purchased from Kwik Save last January.

And when I try your method to copy the card, I just get:

Quote:
Please use the provided PC software to load maps containing turn-by-turn route information

Have put the new card in a card reader and the map img is there, copied the other files over from the original, but no difference.

Tried 6 times now but still no luck.

When I put back the original card there is a green bar that flashes across the screen the first time you switch it on and all works OK.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How did you unlock the map without a product code, my ma Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
like you say mine came with a preloaded map and no software
Where was the map pre-loaded to? the card or the device. if its the later then I can understand to some extent why you can "copy" the cards contents

Pocketgps, I gave up after three trys, each time the same result, the i3 will only respond at street level when offered the original card, I also have no yellow slip containing numbers, perhaps what is on sale now differs from earlier in the year/ last year - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike says, is all I get is the base map, no street level.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: