Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
as i requested earlier for a moderator to give permission for me to put info on here Not one has done so! this tells me that it's a little close to the bone,and i know they ate watching because i had a little telling off if you look previously.
Sorry mate I wasn't telling you off for the copying of a card (we all do this with the TomTom devices ETC, larger card = more space and is perfectly legal), the finger wagging was for asking for map data to be sent via e-mail which is against the forum rules.

I suggest you post the instructions within this thread, if they fall outside the forum rules the post will be removed, if not then nothing is wrong with what you have done, can you also state what material was "cloned" i.e. software/ map version etc - Mike Alder
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is gonna be a bit of a long post,This is how i backed my card up (for personal use) if it works for you remember its not illegal to backup for personal use but it is to sell it.

i have tried the backups in three different machines today(at the place where they will even fit for you) and my card worked in all three but i got a map from a mate and backed it up,his wouldn't work on mine,but mine worked on his.his machine has internal maps installed so he made a map and gave it to me to try.
this tells me that it has to be done on the machine the map is locked to,then it might be transferable like mine.but i don't want to go any further with this i'll leave that up to yourselves.

if your getting bored reading this,i'll tell you now then you can come back and read exactly how later because it only takes a couple of clicks with the mouse.and you'll just want to get on and do it.

get the program metrowizz http://www.geodude.nl/gps/ back your card up to computer as you normally would. connect your gps unit put blank card in open metrowizz click the agreement box then go to direct upload
use browse box
find your gmapsup file and thats it it will upload your map automatically
once its finished it should have the normal warning sign about using while driving.the first time i did it it came up with the annoying computer on screen and it was late so i switched it off and went to bed,got up in morning switched it on and the green line went across like it was updating.
but everytime i do it now it works no problem.
God i hope this works for you all now(but if it doesn't you will have to read on to see if theres anything different you can try(good luck)
i was gonna write software and all that bumf down but it's pointless if it works for you as well if it doesn't let me know. and i will tell you everything i did and the mistakes i made.

i3 verion3.10 city navigator europe nt+8 external microsd
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has had my attention for a couple of days so having tried it I can confirm it works (sort of), the file copy and transfer certainly does copy certain mapping detail to the new card but it certainly isn't the street level definition you have with the supplied card. Major roads only, interesting is that only 14MB of data is missing between the two cards, when copied this way -
I certainly cannot pick out my house on the copied card whereas with the original its no problem, the copied card does work in other units though, as does the original card, but the original card offers street level definition in either device
I guess the "Secure" in the name Secure Digital stands true - Mike
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats weird because my original file is 170.488 and the copy is exactly the same and i have been using it recently and found no difference in street level mapping.we'll have to wait for other results and see what happens Laughing
sanaar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard of a programme called GHOST ?
I"ll say no more on the matter. !!!!
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanaar wrote:

GHOST wouldn't work as it doesn't copty the Security area of the card. people have already tried!
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanaar wrote:

Its made by some tinpot outfit called symantec.
http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost10
Norton Ghost: Overview - Symantec Corp.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this MetroWizz thing does is use Sendmaps20 utility to update the card direct to the GPS.
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two days ago you couldn't even back up your map! now you can and you still moan. no pleasing some people!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
two days ago you couldn't even back up your map! now you can and you still moan. no pleasing some people!

backing up the maps have been no problem for us mate, its your claim of copying the mapping for use in another i3...thats the problem.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Been reading this Reply with quote

I am a little confused does this mean if i copy a 310d euro maps say france and copy it to a SD card and give it to a nother 300 nuvi it will work in that?

Or are we talking of coping a SD cards contents on to another card.

Which one works?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i3 Street Pilot uses TransFlash cards, the very small units that get easily lost when dropped, they are not the same as SD cards as they contain a secure area that prevents a full copy from being taken and used on another card (at least that is the theory, I have tried the above method three times to date using different card readers etc. but to no avail, the unit works with the copied card but not at street level - Mike
Jamas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The i3 Street Pilot uses TransFlash cards, the very small units that get easily lost when dropped, they are not the same as SD cards as they contain a secure area that prevents a full copy from being taken and used on another card (at least that is the theory, I have tried the above method three times to date using different card readers etc. but to no avail, the unit works with the copied card but not at street level - Mike

I have tried the trick as well and the result is: it doesn' t work ! Crying or Very sad
I get only the basemap.

I have checked what Metrowizz is doing and I can tell you that there is a simpler way to do it:
1°) Just back up your TF on your PC,
2°) Open the GMAPSUPP.UNL file with Notepad and replace the 25 digits code by the 25 digits code you get when you register your i3 on "My Garmin website: https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces .
Save the file.
3°) Copy the folder "Garmin" with the files GMAPSUPP.img and GMAPSUPP.UNL on your blank TF and put it in your i3.

If MetroWizz trick was working for you, this should work as well. Wink

Worth to notice that this should work also on SD cards for C310 and C320 ....

Jamas
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suddenly we have response Laughing if the last post works (i haven't tried it)why when all the question are asked about backing up their sd cards is this info not given,instead of telling people it can't be done or as this only been found out due to trying different methods of afore mentioned.

but like i said it's definitely worked for me and i can't be the only one surely(if i am then i must have done something different before hand,but i get a complete copy of my map everytime i do it now Laughing
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elraco1.
What you suggested did not workfor me, I fail to see how it could work for anyone.

James, what you say makes some sense. I had assumed the unlock code I had on the card already was the same as that that Garmin would issue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: