Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i've found a way to backup sd card to new card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreciate your efforts in trying to prove this works one way or the other please do not ask for copies of maps to be sent via e-mail etc. this is against forum rules - Mike
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew i'd put my foot in it somewhere along the line
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cards are NOT unit specific. The map is specific to the card not the unit. A lot of reasarch was posted on this quite some time ago. The map had to match the secure area on the transflash card. No one has been able to copy the secure area until possibly now. Come on Eraco1 let us know. You can pm me if you want
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not so much the Maps that are locked to a specific I3/C310 as the card. These cards are Secure Digital they are not called secure without a reason. Each card has a unique id which can be read by the any Garmin unit. It does appear that occasionally you find two i3 where you can swap the cards over or an SD card which you can copy your maps to. This seems to be because the way Garmin check the SD card is not precise.

If you have a Kingston card you can copy your maps to then you have been very lucky.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must confess I'm a bit skeptical - but willing to be proved wrong.

I'd be interested purely as a means of backing up my own maps to another card. So that - for example - when my card was sent to Garmin for an upgrade to v8 maps, I could still use my i3.
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i myst admit i get the feeling that what i have done is well believed, but all i am saying is that i have backed my card up to another card and it works perfectly, its the copyright thing i am worried about, but if i find out that the backed up card is unit specific then i will put the info on here,
just because i have backed my card up id doesn't mean to say that it will work for others,but i hope it does (reasons exlpained earlier)and to be honest with you i hoe that it is unit specific because if it's not i wont know what to do Question but it would be nice to prove that it has been done.i'm gonna try sort it today one way or another.thanx elraco
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry elraco , i've been reading your posts and have got to the stage where i think this is a windup........prove me wrong in your next post mate...
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my last post should have read(is not well believed) and as for the last comment if you don't believe don't watch( sorry to get a bit shirty chaps but i wish i hadn't said anything now but if i quit on you now you will think i am a wind up merchant which i am certainly not!i am not even a computer wizz either just someone who likes to mess about with things when i've got a bit of time on my hands,
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried my micro sd card in at least 4 different i3's and vice versa with the other cards and they have all worked, so pretty confident that the maps are not unit specific, as was pointed out a while ago, its the sd card id you need to copy which i assume you've acheived somehow elraco1.
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to know this works before buying a 1GB TF card to use as backup and extra POIs. It is not a card I can use for anything else in my possession.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
anyone who has a map that is locked to their machine (pref i3) and who has the software to make a small map of somewhere ie a couple of tiles in russia
or italy (smaller the better for download)and send it to me through a link i will try and back it up to see if it works on my i3 if it doesn't then that gets rid of the copyright claims and then i can put info out on how to back your original up to a new card(well the way i did it anyway) i await your response

It doesnt work that way. You can download a map yourself, try Andora or Singapore from http://mapcentre.cgpsmapper.com/ then use
img2gps but these maps are not locked, you obviously havent done anything like that.

What we know is that:

1) Its possible to backup the gpsmaps file to a PC and restore it back to the original card
2) Some people find the SD cards work in other I3s
3) Some people find the SD cards dont work in other I3s

Seems to me you have been lucky in the SD card you purchased and the I3 cannot distinguish it from the original card.

A number of people have tried using a card reader to copy files from the SD card to computer and back to another SD card and it hasnt worked for them.

HOWEVER something worked for you so:

All you have to say is well I did this and for me it worked.

To understand why it worked for you.

1) Is this basically what you did. i.e. copy files from card to computer and onto a backup card(if you did this for a backup to use only on your I3 if there was a problem with original card , then that seems acceptable and not a copywrite problem)

2) What kind of card reader do you have. Make model, internal packaged with PC or external

3) Did you do this under windows98/2000/ME/XP, MacOS or linux

4) Do you have any special card reader software, eg Some Toshiba laptops with built in SD card slots for instance have a special utility for the SD cards, formatting and copying them. If you have a built in card reader it may be like this.

5) Did you use any specific backup software to retrieve data from the card and restore it to the other card. i.e. something other than drag drop/move /copy

6) Did you try and do anything else that you think was particularly clever as a precaution as to protecting the files. You dont need to explain what you did if you dont want to.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely put gcb....if elraco doesn't respond to this positively then we will all know the reasons why..
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the end of today possibly tomorrow you will know the outcome of my findings.but ot's alright all of you wanting to know how i did this and i am prepared to tell youbut as i requested earlier for a moderator to give permission for me to put info on here Not one has done so! this tells me that it's a little close to the bone,and i know they ate watching because i had a little telling off if you look previously.

i have just bought another card because i dont want to disturb old one so that i can prove to anyone who disbelieves that i have done this.and i am gonna try it again on this new card,

also i have found someone with another garmin gps and i am gonna try it today,
elraco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have just confirmed to myself that i can copy these cards i have just copied original card again to a brand spanking new sandisc 512mb and it works exactly the same as original.

off to try in other gps now i will let you know results in a couple of hours
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elraco1 wrote:
ok i have just confirmed to myself that i can copy these cards i have just copied original card again to a brand spanking new sandisc 512mb and it works exactly the same as original.

off to try in other gps now i will let you know results in a couple of hours

You original card maybe faulty. I would suggest the other i3 user also tries to back up his card using your method to see if works

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: