Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman Gatso Warning sound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman Gatso Warning sound
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Navman Gatso Warning sound Reply with quote

I have just purchased Navman 5300 and downloaded the single file asc + the bmp (I assume for sounds and icons).

No problems except that the (gong sound is more like a weak piece of knicker elastic,"don't ask" being twanged). Virtually useless!

Is there anyway to increase this sound without having to increase the voice sound which is very good, but does little for the gatso alert.

Does anyone know also, if there is a way to have ETA shown on the screen, or is this just a missing item from the 5300.

Graham
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .bmp is for icons only. It appears that the sound is locked and can't be overwritten. You can scroll through the options in the lower righthand corner of the screen by tapping that area. One of the options is ETA.
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Sounds on Gatso Reply with quote

Thanks Tim
Just read your earlier post re ETA and works fine.

Does it mean that I am stuck with this almost inaudible sound ? this would surely defeat the point of having the warnings !

Do other users suffer from the same problem or is this a one off?

My TT works brilliantly in this department but feel that if I cannot resolve this problem ,I might as well return the 6 day old 5300 as unfit for the purpose for which it was purchased (and advertised for)

Graham
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not impressed with the warning sound but it is suprisingly audible, I've never missed a camera because I didn't hear it. I don't know why they can't allow us to use our own sounds, pehaps they want to keep it short so it doesn't clash with voice warnings.
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Does your warning sound like I described ? and does it adjust with voice sound level or is it at a fixed level ?

I understand that you have'nt missed a gatso, but I dont want to spend my time concentrating on listening for a warning and running up someones jaxi.

Graham
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does adjust with the voice level but seems to be at a lower level than the voice. I usually have the voice pretty loud anyhow. I can't say I have had to concentrate to hear the sound but I agree Navman need to fix this. Maybe you should add it to the bug thread started here and if we could forward the list to Navman periodically they might start to take notice, maybe PGPSW could throw some weight behind it as I think they have contacts.
We should also be able to have different sounds for different POI's too.

You've got me wondering if the voice upgrade that has been mentioned in another thread helps although I haven't tried it yet.
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Navman gatso warning Reply with quote

I have installed the upgrade of the sounds and it doesn't appear to have had any effect from what you tell me.

I am not happy with it at all and shall be contacting Navman on Monday (providing I don't have to wait for
an hour) as I think that as they advertise that it accepts POI's with warnings ,sounds,they are not fulfilling their contract.

Tomorrow I shall do a drive past a Gatso and try again,just to make sure I am not completely deaf !

Graham

PS Is there anyway of testing the chime without having to visit a Gatso as per TT.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed the upgrade too and it hasn't made the warnings any louder (neither has it made the voices any louder either as far as I can tell!).

To test the sound enable route demonstration and then set a destination which has speed cameras on route.

Preferences - Routing - Page - Page - tick Demonstrate Route (and repeat if required)
Then program in your destination.

You'll need a valid GPS signal for it to start the route although there are ways around that which I won't go into.

Remember to turn off the route demo mode before you need to use it for a real! journey!
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add click "Save" after you have ticked "Demonstrate Route"
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Gatso warning Reply with quote

Latest developments are, that I called Navman and they confirmed that the alarm sound is as good as it gets !. They told me that all their models have the same alarm (surprising) and that there is no way to change it.

I said that under the circumstances, I felt that the product was not suitable for the purpose that it was purchased and they did not argue the point.

After this I called my supplier and he has agreed to take the product back for a refund.

The search is now on for a suitable system that fulfills all my needs. Oh dear, I seem to have seen that problem mentioned somewhere before !!!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatso warning Reply with quote

geedee wrote:
Latest developments are, that I called Navman and they confirmed that the alarm sound is as good as it gets !. They told me that all their models have the same alarm (surprising) and that there is no way to change it.

The 7xx Desktop appears to have a .wav file Manager of some sort. Some experimentation is in order, methinks.
bandit13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley_Tweedle wrote:
I'm not impressed with the warning sound but it is suprisingly audible, I've never missed a camera because I didn't hear it. I don't know why they can't allow us to use our own sounds, pehaps they want to keep it short so it doesn't clash with voice warnings.

The Active POI warning sound IMHO is really poor. In every other respect I am very pleased with the 530. This sound issue is a real disappointment, which spoils the value of the speed camera POIs I have loaded.

Spoke to Navman at length abouth this yesterday. After an amusing conversation with their help desk, who were insisting it was a bug in the PocketGPS POI data, I finally was put through to someone who knew what they were talking about. They are aware of this issue and are arguing with their developers in NZ to prioritise the creation of a patch to allow the sound to be "modified". I have been given a name and address at Navman to write to, which I have.

Apparently, the Active POI alert sound is not an external software call to a .wav file but is a sound routine which is embedded in the code. Clearly that sounds (ouch no pun intended) like a simple mod but it would require some serious testing.

My only other gripe is that I would like the visual icon alert to be larger on the screen, or better still to flash on and off.

Regards to all
Bandit 13
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My only other gripe is that I would like the visual icon alert to be larger on the screen, or better still to flash on and off.

You could always produce a visual icon of your own. Then you can choose size, colour etc.
bandit13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't thought of that.

Have found a library of larger images on Google. I will experiment and report back.

Tx!
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a natty little program to download that will reduce the size of your selected picture.

http://www.jql.co.uk/avatarsizer.htm

You can then load it in to Paint and change it to a .bmp

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: