Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE failing to read SD card -- help!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE failing to read SD card -- help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: TomTom ONE failing to read SD card -- help!! Reply with quote

I bought a TT ONE a week ago. At first it was fine. Over the last few days it has increasingly failed to boot into the maps first time. Now it won't boot into the maps at all. I have downloaded the speed camera POIs, plus a couple of others. There is about 4MB of spare space on the card.

What I see....

1. tomtom red hands and drums
2. orange TomTom One screen with white unit
3. then the "do not remove card" loop ad infinitum (I've left it for 30 mins with this -- perhaps it moved on after a few days.....!?)

Booting without the card shows that it recognises it doesn't have a card in it. Connecting it to my laptop, the laptop cannot read the card. Putting the card into my Palm T5 shows that the data on the card is fine. I've formatted the card and restored all data from the backup but it's no better when I put the card back into the TT ONE.

BTW I did try removing some files to make more space on the card. No difference.

I realise I could probably return the unit for a refund. However, I'm going to Spain in 5 days and really want the unit for then. I've sent off for a larger SD card and will try this when it arrives (I've seen that some have had this resolve their problems) but I'm sure this is not what's meant to happen!!!

Anyone seen similar symptoms? Known bug perhaps? I did try looking in these forums but didn't see anything quite as bad as this!

thanks for any help
Peter Ward Embarassed
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 2 things that I can think of.

1. Have you tried a Reset, pin in 'ole, and hold it in for about 10 secs. ONE should be on.

2. Try re-installing the application. I don't know which version you have, but you could try V5.450, downloaded from TT.

Whichever version you want to use, do a re-install, not a restore from your backup.

Sorry I can't be of more help.Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I've tried resetting several times and I don't see any improvement. I've just tried reinstalling but my laptop can't get at the card when it's in the ONE. Is there a way to install onto the card "by proxy"? How does the installer know how to find the card? Once I get the new files out of the zip file I can copy them via my PDA.

Peter
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I see a problem. With the GO you can only Install the app via the GO. It is probably the same with the ONE.

I think the way forward here is to Remove the USB Port in Control Panel/Device Manager. Disconnect the ONE and then re-connect and it should go through the process of Found New Hardware.

Try that first. I've never had this problem. Perhaps someone who has, will chip-in with how they overcome it.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card in the TT ONE is seen in My Computer as drive E: but only as "Removable Disk" and not as "TOMTOM ONE". Attempting to access the disk gives the error "Please insert a disk into drive E:". However, when I put the card into my PDA (Palm T5), switch on "drive mode" and attach that to my laptop I can see the card and its contents without problems.

The TT ONE knows when the card is in it but does not seem to be able to read it. I therefore think it's a problem with the TT ONE's access to the card and not the card itself. I think I'll have to go back to Amazon for a refund.
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've arranged for a swap with Amazon. Hopefully a new one will work! Thanks for your help anyway.
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today while I was at work the 2GB SD card arrived (an OX Rapid Pro 150x 2GB card from digitalcamerasetc of Canada on eBay). I used my Palm T5 to copy the backup onto it, and my TT ONE now works!!

And yes, I checked the original card and it still doesn't, so it's definitely something to do with the original card itself and not the TT ONE unit.

I won't pretend to understand, but the unit works, the new card works, and it has lots of space for the maps of Europe that I also bought off eBay.

The only lingering problem is that the time is not updated while the unit's off, but I guess I can live with this.

Thanks for your help. I hope this might help others in similar circumstances.

Peter Ward
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a hard reset of the ONE the time problem should be solved. It worked for me.
clivesewart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: tt one time Reply with quote

peteward wrote:
Well, today while I was at work the 2GB SD card arrived (an OX Rapid Pro 150x 2GB card from digitalcamerasetc of Canada on eBay). I used my Palm T5 to copy the backup onto it, and my TT ONE now works!!

And yes, I checked the original card and it still doesn't, so it's definitely something to do with the original card itself and not the TT ONE unit.

I won't pretend to understand, but the unit works, the new card works, and it has lots of space for the maps of Europe that I also bought off eBay.

The only lingering problem is that the time is not updated while the unit's off, but I guess I can live with this.

I have spoken to TT about this problem and they are releasing a new software update to fix this bug

Thanks for your help. I hope this might help others in similar circumstances.

Peter Ward
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
If you do a hard reset of the ONE the time problem should be solved. It worked for me.

Amazingly, it looks like the multitude of resets I did while trying to get the original card to function have fixed the clock issue. Happy ending after all....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: