Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just another bloody beginner, please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just another bloody beginner, please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadunlop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Just another bloody beginner, please help! Reply with quote

Hi there, just bought a TomTom GO 500. I have a iMac running MAC OS X 10.3.9. My TomTom is running v5.211 and i was going to update to version 5.4 something from the TomTom website. However my TomTom was working great until I downloaded the speed camera sites from here, now if I go to enter a destination my TomTom freezes and then resets itself! I have made a backup on my iMac of the SD card.

I would really like to have my TomTom working properly with the camera sites loaded as I paid the £2 for a month to see how I got on. Is it a problem using a iMac and not a PC windows machine or have I done something wrong? Will the update on the TomTom website fix this?

I also have a problem with the bluetooth only taking one number from my mobile LG phone book although I've manually dialed from the TomTom unit.

Please advise me oh knowledgeable ones!

Jim
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameras alone should not cause this problem. Did you also put on a new data.chk file to give you verbal warnings of cameras as well? If so you may be using the wrong one - it needs to be the one for your version of the TT software otherwise you get the symptons you describe.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
jadunlop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only copied 2 files into my map folder. a '.ov' & '.bmp' I think!

Where does the data.chk file go?

Cheers

Jim
jadunlop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Points of Interest (POI) database consists of:
a file with extension .OV2 (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2)
a companion file with extension .BMP (e.g.pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp)

This is what I had to do... What is the other file you mentioned before 'data.chk' and where does it go?

Thanks again
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jadunlop...
"data.chk" is not required to install the camera database.

It is a file used if you want to add "real voice" alerts to the speed cameras, so that instead of a "boing" tec, you get "Warning, Gatso 30" or similar.
Various options are available from PocketGPSW http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-poi-alerts.php (not REALLY "A TomTom World Exclusive", guys Wink )
or from Ray Flanagans site http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/realvoice.html (which match his excellent replacement navigation voices)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its apparent that you have not changed the data.chk file, which is what I asked you. As Andy says you do not need it to install the cameras, so dont worry about it at the moment because if you have not replaced it then that is not causing your problem.

Still can't see how it can be the cameras alone - and yes you just need the two files - the ov2 and bmp for the cameras.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
jadunlop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter & Andy for all your help... I never read your reply correctly!

I have installed v5.44 from TomTom site and all is working great with the 2 camera files now.

Well that will do for now I think... Laughing Out Loud

Be seeing you soon!

Thanks again!

Jim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadunlop wrote:

Well that will do for now I think... Laughing Out Loud

We're not letting you go so easily! :D

At least before your month's subscription is up, you should download the other two sets of camera files so you can have a play at your leisure (you'll have to rename them as you download or save them into different folders, because unfortunately they all arrive with the same name now!!).

Without doing anything that you haven't done already, you should be able to get your Go to warn you for each camera with a flashing speed limit sign and beep.
jadunlop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. sounds good Laughing

I'd like that, flashy icons telling me what speed the camera is set!!!

Could you please tell me in more detail on how to do that? Is there 2 files per speed camera type and set speed .ov2 and .bmp that go in the same place as the las 2 files I put in the map folder. (Do I delete the first 2 .ov2 and .bmp files?)

Also I've notice speed cameras where I stay on the wrong side of the road are not in the correct position along with petrol stations (which I know came with the TomTom) and roads that have been shut off etc now.

The street where I stay isn't even correct in my estate!!!

Thanks again

Jim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadunlop wrote:
Oh.. sounds good Laughing

I'd like that, flashy icons telling me what speed the camera is set!!!

Could you please tell me in more detail on how to do that?

In a minute... Smile
Quote:
Is there 2 files per speed camera type and set speed .ov2 and .bmp that go in the same place as the las 2 files I put in the map folder?

Yes. See I told you it was easy!
Quote:
(Do I delete the first 2 .ov2 and .bmp files?)

Yes (otherwise you'd get two alerts).

Quote:
Also I've notice speed cameras where I stay on the wrong side of the road

On single carriage ways you will get the alert even for cameras pointing the other way. There's not much can be done about that. Dual carriageways should be OK.
Any errors you find can be reported back here (on the same page as you download from; either by sending in an ov2 of your own (called "New Cameras" or whatever), or just by finding it on their map on the web page.

Right, as promised, what you need to do....
1 ) Download the "speed-zoned" set of files (in the same way as you did the single one, it is just another selection in the box)
2 ) Unzip that (just as you did before). You should get a whole bunch of .ov2 and .bmp files called "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2" etc.
3) Copy all of those (ov2's AND bmp's) into your map folder (just as before, not forgetting to delete the original all-in-one file, as you said).
4 ) On the Go itself, go to Preferences / Manage POI / Warn when Near POI and enable every one of them. This does take 5 minutes or so (and it is annoying that the names of each file are so long (wish they'd change the names to "PGPSW_etc" instead).
You need to select each one in turn, set a warning distance (300-500 yards as a starting point?), set a warning sound, and tick the "Warn only when on route" on the next page. (If ticked you will not get false alerts from cameras on nearby roads, but beware, you won't get ANY warnings if you are driving around with no route set).

One extra thing I do (ignore this if you like)...
I don't bother with the speed-zoned redlight files (too much detail and uses up too many POI slots for my liking) so I ALSO download the other option, "consolidated by type", which has all of them in one. and use the redlight file and icon from there instead.

Finally, you don't HAVE to use the icons supplied by PocketGPS. I like them all except the mobile ones, so made my own. You can get them from Here (thanks to Ray Flanagan for hosting them).
jadunlop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. all I can say is thank you very much (I think I'm beginning to understand!).

Well maybe the voices next.... but I'll get all this up and running first!

Cheers

James Dunlop

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: