Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN6 - When?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN6 - When?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they wait long enough they could use the TeleAtlas maps which include full mapping of Ireland which I have been informed by another manufacturer is due in July. They reckon their product using TA maps will have full Irish coverage in August - September which seems ambitious something which you could never accuse TomTom of Rolling Eyes

TTS shouldnt need 4GB of data. Tho Go 910 has 20Gb disc with 12Gb free. Considering the 8Gb used by TomTom includes the operating System, application, the maps covering both Europe and USA as well as TTS then it is unlikely that the TTS software occupies anything like 4Gb - Microsoft Text To Speech requires 13Mb free disc space on a PC. I see no reason (or way!) that TTS by TomTom would require 4Gb. The map may be larger if there are hints on pronunciation embedded in it.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Third quarter 2006 starts two weeks tomorrow, 1stJuly!

and lasts 3 months! Grrrr
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:

TTS shouldnt need 4GB of data. Tho Go 910 has 20Gb disc with 12Gb free. Considering the 8Gb used by TomTom includes the operating System, application, the maps covering both Europe and USA as well as TTS then it is unlikely that the TTS software occupies anything like 4Gb - Microsoft Text To Speech requires 13Mb free disc space on a PC. I see no reason (or way!) that TTS by TomTom would require 4Gb. The map may be larger if there are hints on pronunciation embedded in it.

The TTS voices on the GO 910 _do_ comprise 4GB+. Checked this on a GO 910. The separate voices (male and female per language) range from 300-400MB+ per voice set.

Ergo, a simple regional map of the UK, with TTS for ONLY the UK voices, would be roughly: 100MB+ for the map, 10MB for the application, 10MB for the postcode data, 20MB+ for the NORMAL voices, then 632MB for the male and female TTS voices for the English language. We're talking a 1GB card minimum for a standard regional SD-card for the UK.

The space taken by TTS on the GO 910 is almost twice the space taken by the maps, which is 2.7GB.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information on TTS... So I guess we are all waiting to see if they ship it on a single DVD then?

Still does not give us a date though or whether the Mods have seen the PDA version....
cageordie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see if it fixes the highly questionable routing (come on Tomtom folkd, take an adventure with me, we'll need two 4x4s and a winch to follow your fastest route) and incredibly bad ETA estimates.

Right now I am considering another Garmin, having had the TTN5 experience I wouldn't buy a Tomtom all-in-one product.
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to TT5 from a Garmin i3, and I've found TT's routing to be far superior to the i3's. In areas I know TT is far more likely to give me routes that I'd take myself, which gives me a lot more confidence when it comes to areas I don't.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year when we upgraded to version 5 we were told that they were using a generic core program which was ported over to each type of device ie: PDA/PNA etc. This meant that PDA users lost some important functionality.

This year they have released the new product line with V6 but are making us PDA users wait until they are ready to port the software over. Why is this I wonder?

Is this to push users over to their new product lines rather so that they can get the new maps etc, or are we going to have a slightly different version perhaps with added functionality?

My best guess is that they are making us wait in the hope that some will take the leap and purchase one of the new all in one devices.

Prehaps someone in the know can enlighten us without having to break their NDA!

Therefore I am very disappointed with TomTom’s attitude to existing customers and am now considering moving over to an alternative supplier.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they want to wait until its ready or maybe they are out to get you mark.

mark1968 wrote:

This year they have released the new product line with V6 but are making us PDA users wait until they are ready to port the software over. Why is this I wonder?
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with you mark1968.
The delay in the lauch of their new PDA version, will help increase the sales of both their all in one systems and the newer ver. 6 maps.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:

In the past, before TomTom announced the GO, TomTom would release the new version of Navigator for the PPC and then a little while later they would release the upgrade pack. What TomTom have done with the new x10 range of GOs is essentially the same thing. They have released the new hardware (with the new software and maps) and then they will release the software (and maps) for the older GOs and other platforms.

mark1968 wrote:
Is this to push users over to their new product lines rather so that they can get the new maps etc, or are we going to have a slightly different version perhaps with added functionality?

I don’t think that it’s done to push users to buy the new products, however if a few users do then you probably won’t hear TomTom complain. We’ll have to wait what the upgrade versions will be like.

mark1968 wrote:
Therefore I am very disappointed with TomTom’s attitude to existing customers and am now considering moving over to an alternative supplier.

It will be the same with any other manufacturer when the time comes for newer versions and the upgrade pack for older versions.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a software and map upgrade, it happens every year, it's not going to be life changing, so why worry so much about it?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It's only a software and map upgrade, it happens every year, it's not going to be life changing, so why worry so much about it?

When considering TomToms previous upgrade policy. (As in even if you buy a few days before the maps are updated, you still have to pay the full upgrade price - wheras some manufacturers give a free, or nominally priced upgrade if a new version is released within a certain time of your purchase) I can understand peoples concern as to when the next version is due.

Having said that, as soon as anything is known, I am sure it will be posted immediately; even without the continual questions. I wouldn't be suprised if it got its own thread(s) - rendering this one useless.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

When considering TomToms previous upgrade policy. (As in even if you buy a few days before the maps are updated, you still have to pay the full upgrade price

I thought that they upgraded for free last year if you purchased within 3 months of the upgrade date????
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
neil01 wrote:

When considering TomToms previous upgrade policy. (As in even if you buy a few days before the maps are updated, you still have to pay the full upgrade price

I thought that they upgraded for free last year if you purchased within 3 months of the upgrade date????

I was going by some posts on this site saying that they would be required to pay the full upgrade price even after only a couple of weeks. If I am incorrect in assuming that these posters were correct, I, of course stand corrected.
chrisdk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly got a free upgrade from v1 to v2 after buying v1 a few weeks before v2 was released - this was a long time ago, though!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: