Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN6 - When?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN6 - When?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And presumably AA vans from mainland dont go to Ireland (north or southy) Confused
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:

Normally this wouldnt be a great problem living in GB but I am visiting Southern Ireland on holiday in August and my TTN5 will be useless. Seriously considering getting AA Navigator - NavTech maps (including Ireland and currently £79.99 for GB and Ireland.

I used TomTom in Ireland and it is far from being 'useless' the major roads coverage was good enough to get me most places. It's not just M and N roads, most R roads are in there too.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:
Yes. But superior to the vans system? 8O :o Confused

A great many transportable solutions are far superior to factory fit systems. The lead times on design alone mean that factory fit solutions often lag behind in terms of features. My £2000+ Jaguar DvD system is beaten hands down by my TomTom ONE!

The same system as my Honda ? Thank goodness for my stand alone system.
Tigerfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Patrol, but I do work for the AA. We use the Blaupunkt system, which beleive gets CD updates every year.
It's a good thought, next time I meet up with a few of the lads I'll do a route comparison and dee how it compairs with my TT5.
As for Ireland, AA patrols do cover N Ireland as we have quite a number of them based over the pond, but coverage in Southern ireland is counted as part of European cover so garages aer used in the south.
DDeFord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
Beware of purchasing the maps of western europe product - the latest GB maps are 605 (normal GB and 632 GB and major routes of europe) but the versions currently sold on CD (and described as "latest maps" are 569 and 572). 605 and 632 ARE available (you can purchase 632 as a download from TomTom but you need to have already purchased a map!)

1)How much are the updates?
2)How do you know what the version of the maps are BEFORE you buy them?
3)If I were to buy TTN5 with W.E. maps would I be able to download all the latest maps for free??? That would seem reasonable to me, but for some reason I doubt it Confused.

Thanks.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) TomTom don't do updates in the same way that computer people expect. The update will presumably be when version 6 comes out - price to be determined by TomTom.

2)You dont know the map version before you buy or before you open the packaging - thats how I got caught. What you could do is to specify on any order that the map version must be at least GB 605, GB plus 632. Whether anyone would take the order under these circumstances is debatable. What I can say is that if you buy TTN5 with maps of western europe (the CD set) you will get GB v562 and GB Plus 571 - TomTom still claim they are the latest versions!

3)No you can't! Common sense says that you allow purchasers of the product to download the latest version (saving on keeping retail versions up to date) but common sense is not TomTom's strong point. You can pay £120 for TTN5 with maps of western europe with "latest maps" but to get the current latest maps (ignoring the version 650 maps with the new TT Go 910 and 510!) you pay 119.95 euros for the full western europe maps or a mere 59.95 euros for just the GB plus map (version 632) which has been available since December last year (so you buy a product and pay almost as much again to upgrade to maps that have been available for six months!

I am not at all convinced I will be sharing any more of my money with them!

If the product was significantly better than the rest (I dont think it is, but that is a subjective choice), if the mapping was better (not convinced of this and NavTeq can be a***d to map Ireland properly, TeleAtlas cant), if they had a proper regular map upgrade process (happy to pay an ongoing fee for this) then it might be worth the price premium over some of the other products.

I've used Destinator 3 and found that quite acceptable and useable (again a personal choice) and its significantly cheaper. Presumably when their new version comes out eventually (no-one seems to deliver on-time in this business) it will have full Irish mapping and their normal pricing makes it very competitive for a product with european coverage. Equally the AA product is attractive on price.

Still waiting to see if v6 offers anything worth buying, it seems that from now on its the updated maps that will be sold rather than functionality (the Go 510 and 910 are claimed to have version 6 software but it doesnt look significantly different from v5 except for text to voice on the 910 which is amusing on their demonstration page).
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping they incorporate the "text to speech" functionality to read out the road and place names in the PDA version. I think its a great feature. I dont know if I really need it but its cool so I really want it 8)
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer. tomtom now says third quarter 2006.

Quote:
Introducing a new map update program. Starting in the beginning of the third quarter of 2006, existing TomTom customers will be able to purchase the latest maps at a discount. Each map package also includes free updates to the TomTom software.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=3555
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it's 2006..............
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the starting price will be ?? £65 ?? (Any advance ?)
keithmdw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longwori wrote:
I'm hoping they incorporate the "text to speech" functionality to read out the road and place names in the PDA version. I think its a great feature. I dont know if I really need it but its cool so I really want it 8)

That would be good for when you have to rely on voice only instructions. Some voice instructions are ambiguous, btu if it said the road name you were expected to be on then road signs would back up the voice and you'd have less problems.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4ace wrote:
bummer. tomtom now says third quarter 2006.

Third quarter 2006 starts two weeks tomorrow, 1st July!
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longwori wrote:

You might not say that when you see the see the size of the data required to make it work... If memory serves me correctly (and I am fast approaching 40 so I doubt it!) I remember reading it was 4GB on the TTG910, that is twice the size of the Western Europe Maps... So you will need 6 gig min. to run Western Europe and TTS.

I have just checked and the largest CF card is 4gb at £100.00 (incl delivery), or you could go microdrive (do these work on Ipaqs/PPC?).

SD cards are no better with 2GB being the max available at £65.00.
cn1701
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

I have just checked and the largest CF card is 4gb at £100.00 (incl delivery), or you could go microdrive (do these work on Ipaqs/PPC?).

SD cards are no better with 2GB being the max available at £65.00.

8GB CF available now for around £250, 12GB is just around the corner for the nice price of £5k. 8O

4GB SD available now for around £80.

2GB MiniSD available now for around £45.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

If memory serves me correctly (and I am fast approaching 40 so I doubt it!) I remember reading it was 4GB on the TTG910,

I read this, but I also read the file is about 400MB (I think this is what I read) when all the additional language options are removed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: