Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN6 - When?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN6 - When?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDeFord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved an email from TT in response to a question why we can't buy Nav 5 SW w/ W. Europe maps on the TT site (at least you couldn't last week) and they responded that there is a v6 coming out in mid to late summer. I would read that as late summer so August at the earliest. I wish we knew what v6 includes. I need to buy Nav SW soon and I am not too happy with TT not having a north up and using Tel Atlas maps.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i maybe be being a little dumb here but why would you want north up on a navigation software surely have direction up save having to convert the left right turn in your head. as for using teleatlas maps I have access to software with both and they are about the same both with errors in the map not all in the same places but they have errors

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DDeFord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an email response from TT to a question regarding not being able to buy Nav 5 w/ W. Europe maps on the TT website. They responded that there is a v6 coming out but not until mid to late summer. I take that as late summer at the earliest and thus August.

What do you think the upgrade cost will be if I buy v5 now?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt kow but going on past experience they have some of the best upgrade offers out there usually ie when tt5 came out you could upgrade from v2 or v3 uk to full europe for around £50 i think it was.

Im not saying they will do the same again but if history is aything to go by id go for it have you looked at ant other software

device Lumia 950 xl
DDeFord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the repost, I didn't see my original so I retyped it.

Regarding North up. To tell the truth I have never had a navigation system but I have heard other SW has this feature and it seems like it would be nice to get your bearings in a city (or I guess anywhere). We are interested in using the system when touring on foot.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talking touring in cities or on the hills

device Lumia 950 xl
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont want TeleAtlas maps and want the North up facility (presumably not for use in a car!) then go for another product - there is nothing I have found in TTN5 that is better than the other products. Like all these things they all have features that you dont want while omitting those that are (personally) essentially.

Personally I wouldnt buy direct from TomTom as their are plenty of on-line retailers who are cheaper.

Beware of purchasing the maps of western europe product - the latest GB maps are 605 (normal GB and 632 GB and major routes of europe) but the versions currently sold on CD (and described as "latest maps" are 569 and 572). 605 and 632 ARE available (you can purchase 632 as a download from TomTom but you need to have already purchased a map!).

Presumably the TomTom Go 910 and 510 come with later maps which will then become the maps on which the version 6 of TTN is based later this year.

TomTom generally give "free" updates for purchasers of a previous version within a short period (3 months?) of a new release, otherwise you get the opportunity to upgrade at a fairly reasonable cost for a limited (decided by TomTom) time.

At present NavTech maps have the advantage of covering Ireland (claimed to be 100% coverage but there are issues raised about the accuracy) - TeleAtlas still doesnt really accept that Ireland exists and have made no announcements I have seen to catch up.

Normally this wouldnt be a great problem living in GB but I am visiting Southern Ireland on holiday in August and my TTN5 will be useless. Seriously considering getting AA Navigator - NavTech maps (including Ireland and currently £79.99 for GB and Ireland.

Does it have all the "features" or TomTom? I dont really care - sat nav is intended to direct me from one place to another so the AA product may well be a better buy than the upgrade to TTN v6 - dont think I want both unless the AA product seriously doesnt work!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dont think I want both unless the AA product seriously doesnt work!
My mate, who has just retired as an AA man of 37 years, told me he took his Mio168, with TTN3, out in his van to compare it to the system they use/d.

His observations were the TomTom, in his opinion, often gave a better route and one which he would have chosen, based on his knowledge, than the van's system.

I think that says it all.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the routing on the aa product is good or it was in the old version i have i havent seen the lasetest version but it should be fairly good

device Lumia 950 xl
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the routing on the aa product is good or it was in the old version i have i havent seen the lasetest version but it should be fairly good

When you consider my mate had the 'proper' system set up in his van with CD's of all the areas, updated regularly, I can't really see how their system for us mere mortals could be better.

My mate has been retired for less than a year so I can't really see how things have improved so much.

It would be interesting if there are any other AA patrolmen/women out there who would give their opinions.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the aa navigation product is different to what is installed in the vans

device Lumia 950 xl
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea I've just had a thought. I will spend a bit of time setting up a few routes using, TTN5, the on-line AA, RAC and viaMichelin site routes to see how they compare. Smile
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted this as I posted my last comments

Quote:
the aa navigation product is different to what is installed in the vans

Yes. But superior to the vans system? 8O :o Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Yes. But superior to the vans system? 8O :o Confused

A great many transportable solutions are far superior to factory fit systems. The lead times on design alone mean that factory fit solutions often lag behind in terms of features. My £2000+ Jaguar DvD system is beaten hands down by my TomTom ONE!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the AA use a customised version of the vdo's daytona system if anything like the one we had fitted tomtom even copilot and beat it hands down

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: