Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP! - 7 Digit postcode on Garmin Nuvi 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! - 7 Digit postcode on Garmin Nuvi 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headley-harriers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: HELP! - 7 Digit postcode on Garmin Nuvi 300 Reply with quote

Alright then let's see if I'm just stupid. How does the 7 digit postcode work on the Garmin Nuvi 300? I have gone through the selection of letters and digits, it has then given me the correct postcode that I am after. I then select the correct postcode and it takes me to the house number screen. All well and good so far, but then when I hit the correct house number it doesn't take me to the correct rd!! and then it only gives me a 5 digit postcode. I bought this unit as eveywhere it says it has a 7 digit postcode search. Great......if it works......but am I being stupid??? other than that it seems a great piece of kit...although I am a virgin to Sat Nav
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some postcodes are linked to more than 1 road even walkways give me the postcode and i will check on mine and tomtom Wink
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is similar to the i3, enter 0 as the house number and it takes you to something like the geographical centre of that postcode area (which can be quite large).

Nick.
headley-harriers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but what's the point of advertising 7 dgit postcode ability

adamf - personal message sent
Tyke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have V8 mapping, I believe that V7 does not have full postcode search?
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom v5 no match/unnamed rd try nuvi in a bit i left it in the car :o oh no
headley-harriers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyke wrote:
Do you have V8 mapping, I believe that V7 does not have full postcode search?

Just bought it last friday, connected to internet to register and went to Garmin's software update page and it said I didn't need any updates as it was the latest version. (went on the auto update page)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 7-digit postcode refers to a specific street or group of streets. it does not refer to a specific house!

however, some area's don't have full data for postcodes... try a different postcode and see how that does.

MaFt
headley-harriers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
a 7-digit postcode refers to a specific street or group of streets. it does not refer to a specific house!

however, some area's don't have full data for postcodes... try a different postcode and see how that does.

MaFt

Thanks for pointing out that every house doesn't have a different postcode!!

However your second point is well recieved, just don't know why they don't say that in the spec.... can achive 7 digit postcode search when in an area where we have the full data. It's like saying everyone can receive digital television, well they can as long as they live in an area where they can receive it.

Thanks for all your answers.
HH
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Postcodes Reply with quote

I use my Nuvi 300 using 7 digit postcodes several times a day, every day

I know it can be confusing as after you enter the postcode, and Nuvi confirms the address, it shows only the first few digits. But ignore this, it knows the full 7 digit postcode and if the map data (Navteq) knows the house numbers, it will guide you to the house, including left and right side of the street (in addition to position along street)

Be warned however, this is very reliant upon accuracy of the map data Garmin are supplied with. While impressive and works much of the time, post-code data and house numbers can, on occasion, be out. But generally it gets you so close it really isn't an issue
headley-harriers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Postcodes Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I use my Nuvi 300 using 7 digit postcodes several times a day, every day

I know it can be confusing as after you enter the postcode, and Nuvi confirms the address, it shows only the first few digits. But ignore this, it knows the full 7 digit postcode and if the map data (Navteq) knows the house numbers, it will guide you to the house, including left and right side of the street (in addition to position along street)

Be warned however, this is very reliant upon accuracy of the map data Garmin are supplied with. While impressive and works much of the time, post-code data and house numbers can, on occasion, be out. But generally it gets you so close it really isn't an issue

Ideal !! Just what I needed to know
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headley-harriers wrote:
Just bought it last friday, connected to internet to register and went to Garmin's software update page and it said I didn't need any updates as it was the latest version. (went on the auto update page)
They are two types of updates - the software (or firmware) that runs on the unit to provide the interface and the routing capability, and then there is the map data itself.

The website only updates the former, whereas the map data is updated on a yearly basis (normally with a charge for each new update)

Tyke was asking you whether the mapping data was v7 or v8 (only v8 has full postcode data), and not about the software installed on the unit. There certainly are Nuvi's out there that shipped with v7...
borgman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem.
My TomTom One shows my cul-de-sac clearly and my postcode/house number with no problem at all. But my brand new Garmin 310 shows a list of streets approx 2-3 miles away? The map visual shows my home in the middle of nowhere aswel. I'm gutted, and will be sending my unit back to Globalpositiong asap.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Problem Reply with quote

Definately a software issue, not a general Garmin / Navteq issue as their maps are way ahead of the TeleAtlas / TomTom (obviously there ARE exceptions) with their accuracy and up to date'ness'

Instead of just sending it back, try and get it resolved with GlobalPS or Garmin - surely not much wrong?

I use the my Nuvi (same map data) daily and no such issues, and have a TomTom (often cannot find addresses of the past few years)

Worth the effort, I'm sure

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: