Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also point out that alertegps.com have split their downloads into two sections since I went to France and the whole site has been updated. They have a free section which is exactly the same as I downloaded previously and they now have a premium section which i think costs 36 euros for a years subscription and includes speed limits at camera sites (rather like the speed zoned files from PGPSW), direction of camera together with other accident blackspot warnings. I only go to France once a year so the free one will do me. If you are a frequent traveller there 36 euros (about 24 quid) won't break the bank i suppose.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Delski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Delski wrote:
Can i ask which speed camera databases you used?

I used the ones from www.alertegps.com They are free and updated weekly, so just download the files the week before you leave.

Many thanks for that, now hoping eurotunnel dont go bust 100% before next friday!!!

Del
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Definately correct and just tried it and it works. I have posted a link below which should take you to the download. Click on the button marked telecharger once you are in the site and a zip file containing the French cameras will download.

Click HERE

Yesterrday I got a "not found" error. Today the site is there -

"Le site www.alertegps.com est actuellement en maintenance"

I suspect what you see is the contents of your cache.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:

Don't think so as the new revised site with all the changes which are now present would not have been in my cache. I have also today downloaded the latest camera warnings from them with no problem.

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
julianbarker wrote:

Don't think so as the new revised site with all the changes which are now present would not have been in my cache. I have also today downloaded the latest camera warnings from them with no problem.
Not having visited that site before, I can confirm that the site works! But, 999tommo, can I ask if the "language/country" flags at the top of the screen work? I only seem to be able to access the French (not too much of a problem).

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it now, but as I said, it was not there multiple times yesterday, and earlier today there was the maintenance message.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Not having visited that site before, I can confirm that the site works! But, 999tommo, can I ask if the "language/country" flags at the top of the screen work? I only seem to be able to access the French (not too much of a problem).

The flag thing is a new addition to the site since the revisions. It was not there before. I used the Google translator before to view the site, although this does not seem to work on the revised site. It appears the site may still be under construction as discovered by Julian (mentioned above) so I can only assume that various language translations will be available although as yet I can confirm that only French works for me too at the moment.

Sulli69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking my TT1 to France in a couple of weeks, I specifically got it for that, and can't believe there's a chance it could be confiscated. Is any gendarme going to have the nouse to search it for cameras? I don't want to take them off as I want to know where the cameras are, so I don't get flashed (though the chances of getting done from a camera has to be minimal as they don't have DVLA data).

I did get pulled a couple of years ago in France, just coming through a toll booth, not because of speed but because I was in a quick car, and they said it was to search for laser detectors - they even looked in the glovebox!

Well i'm taking it anyway, if I get pulled and don't have a chance to hide it i'll be proper nice - and if they take it i'll have to kick off!!
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulli69 wrote:

Well i'm taking it anyway, if I get pulled and don't have a chance to hide it i'll be proper nice - and if they take it i'll have to kick off!!

In that case I would buy a cheap banger to go over in, because when you get out of jail and raised enough money selling yourself at Pigalle Place in Paris you won't have a car to drive home in :D :D :D Wink

To old to die young.
Sulli69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said France, not Guantanamo Rolling Eyes
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean forgot about this thread and I'm glad it has been resurected. I was over in France again in February. I flew but took my TT1 for use in my hire car. Unfortunately I received a broken window one night (bird strike - it was a big one!) and had to call the Gendarmes for insurance purposes. Whilst they were at my house, I showed them my TT1 and the camera database for France. They said they were not in the the sligtest bit interested in database type lists of camera locations on PND's as the camera locations are freely available on the net, like they are in the UK. They are however very interested in detectors or scramblers. This was in the Charente-Maritime region of France, in case it is of any interest to anyone. I am driving down to Aquitaine in July and will definately be using an updated French camera database then.

RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to france with my TT on show and have never been stopped when gendarmes were around. I have speed camera locations on it.

The point about this thread that leaves me a little puzzled is that if you look on the TT website they have a French website and on there they have safety cameras for France. I know that TT are a bunch of ******** but I do not think that they would do anything against the law of that country. TT in Holland would not want a bunch of litigious people suing them for producing something that is illegal to use. Sales would fall rather dramatically.

If you go on gpspassion you also see available all speed camera downloads for France without a hint of a warning in French or English that there is anything illegal.

I have the feeling that in the past the people that have been stopped and had their "satnavs" confiscated were either the English who still consider we have an Empire and believe that franglais (speak slowly and loudly) is a universal translator like a babelfish and consequently get up the noses of everyone or they have got an active detector which is illegal.

Ho hum ....this thread will run and run and run..........yawn

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulli69 wrote:
I said France, not Guantanamo Rolling Eyes

Excellent response from someone who is obviously not familiar with the French police.

You go fella, fill yer boots :D :D :D

If you want any legal advice ask my mate who has just lost €3000 and spent 2 nights in a Paris cell because he argued he was parked legally with a French plod Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Clean forgot about this thread and I'm glad it has been resurected. I was over in France again in February. I flew but took my TT1 for use in my hire car. Unfortunately I received a broken window one night (bird strike - it was a big one!) and had to call the Gendarmes for insurance purposes. Whilst they were at my house, I showed them my TT1 and the camera database for France. They said they were not in the the sligtest bit interested in database type lists of camera locations on PND's as the camera locations are freely available on the net, like they are in the UK. They are however very interested in detectors or scramblers. This was in the Charente-Maritime region of France, in case it is of any interest to anyone. I am driving down to Aquitaine in July and will definately be using an updated French camera database then.

Thanks for that Tommo, I have always supported the view that they are legal, however there have been well documented cases of satnav systems being confiscated by French police, and THAT is the problem.

So to be on the safe side I don't use the database anywhere across the channel just to be on the safe side.

We all know that cam databases are 100% illegal in Switzerland, what most people don't realise is that it is also illegal in Switzerland to have any neighbouring countries database loaded as well!! (trying to find original source for that)

To old to die young.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I went into Smiths and bought a road atlas of France, which included details of speed camera locations. Will I be banged up if I'm caught with it in the car? Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: