Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 V2.90 now avail from Garmin.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 V2.90 now avail from Garmin.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used V2.70 for a week (only just bought an i3), loaded 2.90, used it for 2 days and reverted to 2.70. I didn't get freezes or white screens, but I did get turn instructions 0.5 miles before the junction! I've given the i3 to my 18 yr old daughter and reverted to my XDAlls loaded with Tom Tom navigator 5. A lot more expensive but a lot more responsive too. (and a readable screen for 53 yr old eyes)
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saudidave wrote:
I used V2.70 for a week (only just bought an i3), loaded 2.90, used it for 2 days and reverted to 2.70. I didn't get freezes or white screens, but I did get turn instructions 0.5 miles before the junction! I've given the i3 to my 18 yr old daughter and reverted to my XDAlls loaded with Tom Tom navigator 5. A lot more expensive but a lot more responsive too. (and a readable screen for 53 yr old eyes)

I have not noticed an y difference with the 2.9..........yet

I too was concerned at the small screen of the ii3, but as was mentioned on this fourm at the time, its the voice instructions and not to look at the screen too much.
However, each to his own, the best thing is that the whole system is fantastic Idea - sat nav -and this site in particular.
Enjoy
dandy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Screen freezes Reply with quote

Was running my i3 with v2.90 until the i3 started switching itself off. Reverted back to v2.70 and i3 now OK.

Experienced a couple of screen freezes yesterday, while I was exiting the following motorways M1 Junction 42 and M60 Junction 12. The screen freezes lasted a couple of minutes, but each time the voice commands and on screen messages kept working. Has anybody else had problems at these points.
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: 2.90 IS Slower than 2.82 Reply with quote

Just finished comping an i3 with 2.82 and my fathers with 2.90 both plugged into my car at same time. 2.90 is seriously slower than 2.82 in literally all respects.

For the test both i3's had v8 maps and were positioned alongside one another in screen

2.90:-
Takes longer to intially calculate the route
Takes MUCH longer to recalculate if you deviate from original.
Seriously lags behind in the screen update.
Is slower and providing the turn prompts.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.90 IS Slower than 2.82 Reply with quote

wibblemonster wrote:
Just finished comping an i3 with 2.82 and my fathers with 2.90 both plugged into my car at same time. 2.90 is seriously slower than 2.82 in literally all respects.

For the test both i3's had v8 maps and were positioned alongside one another in screen

Seriously lags behind in the screen update.
Is slower and providing the turn prompts.

if you havent done so please would you email garmin with the findings of your experiment.
i must say it makes good reading especially from someone who uses the "use at your own risk, not properly tested yet" beat 2.82
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Garmin had released this particular version as beta 2.83 before calling it an offical release, I will happily trial a beta, but I must admit, the custom POI problem put me off 2.82

Incidentally, Garmin havent pulled 2.90 from their site, so they must have some confidence in it still.

Other than noticing that the speed indication is a bit sluggish sometimes I must be one of the lucky ones, no complete screen freezes etc, will stick with 2.90 for now unless it really misbehaves.

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, v2.90 used all last week on holibobs in Cornwall (found USB lead again! Laughing) - no hiccups - back over 200 miles to home yesterday - no probs noticed - apart from possible slowish map refreshes in parts. Leaving on for now. Earlier turns notifications work for me.

Aitch
Jamas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: i3 V2.90 Reply with quote

Recently loaded V2.90 and did'nt notice any major differences wrt V2.7.
But when I tried to download some maps from MetroGuide Europe onto a new transflah card, the GPS did'nt want to display any of them.
Went back to V2.7 and it worked perfectly. Smile
Have you also noticed such problem ?

Jamas
JAMZ1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Firmware Sux as far as im concerned... did any of these problem come to light on so called 'Beta testing'..

The Lag on-screen is just ludacris,im a taxi driver and drive the saem routes day in and day out and the firmware before was nothing like this... my screen is lagging more than scrolling freely...

If i just leave it on the first screen where you get your strength indicator its showing full bars so its not reception... dont see any noticible difference even worthy of this so called 'upgrade' .. its rubbish,oh wait,yea the voice prompt warnings arnt as annoying now..

im going back to the one i had before, hopefully there sack either the beta testers or the person who monitors Beta feedback
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it ain't the beta testers.

i have been running beta 2.82 since it came out and it is nothing short of perfect compared with 2.9. hence gone back to it.

i hope you have emailed garmin with your views so that they can hopefully sort this issue out.
Dusty321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only probelm Ive had with v2.90 is the map refresh rate, its terrible! Unit also freezes up and then come alive? My input to Garmin has been sent....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've not had any issues with 2.9... maybe that's just me but it got a very long test run from bradford to wales the other week...
north_country_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I used 2.9 it did seem to be slow to show my position on the map but i've used it twice since and its been fine with no problems whatsoever.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also borrowed my Father's i3 and did a test comparing 2.70 with 2.90 over the Easter Holidays (circa 400 miles)

For the test both i3's had v8 maps and were positioned alongside one another in screen (all parameters were the same)

Initial routes were different (2.90 was longer by 3 minutes and took some strange backroads before joining the motorway)
The voice prompts are only 2 seconds earlier (at most!) at junctions
Seriously lags behind in the screen update - therefore position was not as accurate.
Didn't give as many voice prompts as 2.70 (2.70 would often state - keep right in 1 mile and then keep right in .2 miles whilst on the motorway, 2.90 only gave the one warning)
Is slower at providing the turn prompt
Doesn't zoom into maps at junctions as often or as quickly as 2.70

No screen freezes in Navigation mode but as soon as I used Map mode the screen went blank and then also froze later.

All in all a backward step.

I have reported the above to Garmin.[/quote]
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After initially thinking v2.9 was a step ahead in accuraccy I have now gone back to v2.7. Too slow to recalculate and map refresh was inconsistant. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: