Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 switching off
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 switching off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: i3 switching off Reply with quote

having been an i3 owner for a couple of weeks i must say that the little fella (well margaret actually) is great. there was an initial problem, which i read about in another link a while back, that in the greyhound roundabout area of the a580 east lancs road in leigh lancashire the system would "switch off" i also had this problem. after speaking with garmin they suggested a software glitch was possible on a number of the 2.7 v8 systems. halfords exchanged mine with no questions asked. garmin suggested i downloaded the beta 2.8. i did and it cured the problem. in fact the system is now easier to follow as the voice prompts are made sooner than in the 2.7 guise. Laughing
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bit of info mate..thanks.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not switching off - but has anyone else noticed their i3 'pause' for around 5 mins either side of Southampton Airport on the M27?? Bizarre! 8O

'Countdown to turn' still updates - but the map just stays static - until it deigns to redraw once more...seems to do it each time I pass.

It's either some weird signal eminating from the Airport - or maybe some sort of map boundary inside the i3??

Aitch
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
Not switching off - but has anyone else noticed their i3 'pause' for around 5 mins either side of Southampton Airport on the M27?? Bizarre! 8O

'Countdown to turn' still updates - but the map just stays static - until it deigns to redraw once more...seems to do it each time I pass.

It's either some weird signal eminating from the Airport - or maybe some sort of map boundary inside the i3??

I think someone else had a similar problem near an airport, can't remember who or where but I do recall a thread about it somewhere.
richard5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at an airport, and have my i3 on every time I go there without any problems.

Using Map V8 and software 2.7 for info
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:

Do you have WAAS/EGNOS enabled, as it receives from ground stations might the radar or some other signal be messing with this?

Had a quick search on newsgroups and could only find mention of one guy on a motorcycle in Italy whose GPS suddenly shifted his theoretical position into the Adriatic regsitering a top speed of something like 2700 mph Surprised . This occured near an airport and was the only explanation he could offer.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
Do you have WAAS/EGNOS enabled, as it receives from ground stations might the radar or some other signal be messing with this?

Yes - this thought had occurred to me too...obviously, there's all sorts of EM spectrum near to an airport...

Still interested to hear from anyone else who regularly passes Soton Airport with an i3 tho...

Aitch
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if it helps your situation but the map on mine did not freeze it just went blank as if switched off but without the 30 second countdown. this happened either in view map, navigate, battery, plugged into the car, gps or waas settings activated. even a full reset did not help.

have you thought of the beta 2.8 upgrade. the problem stopped for me when i did Question
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:

Aitch

I have noticed mine (Mavis) pause a couple of times, the map stays in one place, (first time I thought it had locked up) but the banners at top of screen still change and speed camera warnings still sound. Not near any airports though once on Bluebell hill Maidstone and once on A289. Question

Very odd

Colin
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone chasing crop circles is going to have problems Laughing
colpac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"there was an initial problem, which i read about in another link a while back, that in the greyhound roundabout area of the a580 east lancs road in leigh lancashire the system would "switch off"

That was me, so i will try the 2.8 update, thanks for the tip
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colpac

i have sent you a message check your inbox

matb
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colpac wrote:
"there was an initial problem, which i read about in another link a while back, that in the greyhound roundabout area of the a580 east lancs road in leigh lancashire the system would "switch off"

2.9 is now out and the roundabout issue is actually mentioned as part of the upgrade
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
colpac wrote:

2.9 is now out and the roundabout issue is actually mentioned as part of the upgrade

went for a spin and the problem is solved Laughing
helterskelter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
went for a spin and the problem is solved

Was it the spinning that cured the fault, how many times round the roundabout?? 8O

eddie

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: