Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to remove CoPilot 6's Fat finger Keyboard?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to remove CoPilot 6's Fat finger Keyboard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: How to remove CoPilot 6's Fat finger Keyboard? Reply with quote

Ideally,I would like to be able to switch between the new 'Fat finger keyboard' and the standard QWERTY one, but so far, I have only been able to disable the 'Fat Finger' one.

To revert to the QWERTY keyboard

All the following must be performed via 'Explore' in an ActiveSync connection - ALKIM.dll is hidden from view in the PPC's File Explorer.

1 Take copies of \Windows\StartUp\ALKIM_Loader.exe and \Windows\ALKIM.dll
2 Delete \Windows\StartUp\ALKIM_Loader.exe (this loads and locks ALKIM.dll so it cannot be deleted)
3 Restart (soft) (so that ALKIM.dll is no longer loaded)
4 Delete \Windows\ALKIM.dll

CoPilot will revert to the old style keyboard.

I do not know if this has any knock-on effects in that:
1 I do not know if the removed files are required for any other processing.
2 The CoPilot Keyboard option is still added to other programs, although if you select it, you just get the standard keyboard, so obviously I haven't found every bit of it.

So far as I can tell, replacing the files restores everything to the previous position.

I would welcome ANY comments because I really don't know if doing the above will cause more problems than it solves, or if it works for all PPC/OS combinations.

I am running Windows mobile 2003 (first edition) on a MIO168
TrevorFowler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks neil01

I did the deed as soon as I got the chance. It looks good so far, but I do not feel I will miss the "fat finger" keyboard as I don't intend to plan routes as I am driving along.

I am not confident that you will be able to find a work-around that will enable you to toggle keyboards. I have recently played around with the "live" function and switching it off or on requires a restart of CP6. However, I do wish you luck in your endeavour.

In my sadder moments I have thought about changing some of the graphic files. In particular to change the red flag ones to chequered flag ones being more in keeping with the "end of journey" situation as opposed to "race stopped" scenario!

I do admire the spirit of people on this forum in that despite being confronted with bugs and issues with the software which they have paid good money for, they put in the effort to try and resolve some of the problems and to share it with others. If ALK are listening, I hope they realise that such tolerance is not infinite.

Trevor
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment.

I agree that I am unlikly to find my ideal solution, that is I feel likely to be down to ALK providing it.

I actually think that the way that the 'Fat fingered keyboard' has been introduced is unacceptable, not so for as CoPilot itself is concerned (which I simply dislike, and is therefore a matter of opinion), but in the way it integrates with the operating system itself.

Once CoPilot is installed, the 'Fat fingered keyboard' is made available to other applications, and if selected cannot be easily de-selected (I DO NOT recommend that you try this!). While the operation within CoPilot is one matter, the changing of the OS itself is another; in this case, one I do not believe is acceptable.

Back to the workaround I found, while I believe it does not cause any problems, I really would like even concerns about the changes posted.

I know that what I posted is only a partial removel, since the 'Fat fingered keyboard' is still offerred (even though not available), so my initial feeling is that there are posibly still one or more files to remove, or more probably, one of the OS files is actually replaced during CoPilots installation.

Hopefully, once we know which file is replaced, so long as no other 'required' changes are made to the file, it will simply be a matter of returning it back to the 'original' version, and the 'Fat fingered keyboard will be history for those who wnat it totally removed.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent changed anything in my CP6 setup and as im normally in the car when i enter a route im happy enough with the keyboard. Although a qwerty option would be better.

I havent had any ther application changed by CP6. I still get the normal keyboard when using other apps. However, i would add that CP6 isnt running at the time.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case with the first version of windows mobile 2003, it is the availability of the 'fat fingered keyboard' I refer to rather than its actual presence. It has nothing to do with CoPilot actually running at the time or not. The new Keyboard appears to have been added to the operating system itself, and is available to most programs.

If you go into an application (ie word, excel contacts etc etc ) and look at the very bottom right hand corner, there is a small arrow, which if tapped gives the various input options. After CoPilot 6 has been installed the CoPilot keyboard is added to the list and is selectable from there.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. i hadnt noticed that it was added to the list of input methods.
Im surprised they didnt make it qwerty though it would have made more sense.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some reference info on adding keyboards to PPC.

It does not lead to any immediate solution to the current hope of improving or suppressing the new Fat Finger keyboard in CP6.

Any application or developer can add a keyboard or "Input Method Editor" (aka "IME" or "SIP" in PPC) in an operating system like WM2003.

If it is added correctly it should become another selection in the "Input Method" selection icon at the lower right of the iPaq screen, for example. It becomes selectable and available to all applications on the PPC by setting a Registry key called "IsSIPInputMethod" to "1".

Not that it will do us any good, but this setting can be seen and changed in the PPC registry under:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BF0D F259 F37C...etc}
(If you don't have a RegEdit program of some kind, never mind, this is not too important).

But all one can do here is make the CoPilot keyboard unavailable to OTHER applications by setting "IsSIPInputMethod" to "0". Then you will not see it along with the other input methods in the "drop-up" list box at lower right. But CoPilot will continue to use this Fat Finger input method anyway.

As Neil01 has found, CoPilot's Fat Finger keyboard is named \Windows\ALKIM.DLL

I think it is a bug in CoPilot that its keyboard bitmap is placed too "low" on the display, so it covers up the selection box for other methods. This makes it unusable for other applications as well, because once displayed it is very hard to turn it off.

Also, it should be very easy for ALK to provide an alternate QWERTY Fat Finger bitmap.

Here is some info on making your own keyboard IME for PPC:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/02/10/370355.aspx
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker

I think you underestimate your findings. You have just detailed how to remove the unwelcome addition of the CoPilot keyboard to other applications. This appears to be the bit I couldn't find - Thanks.

I would even go so far as to say, that in many ways I feel that everyone should apply this change whether or not they are happy with the CoPilot keyboard - it prevents you from selecting it by accident and then being unable to return to a standard keyboard. The CoPilot keyboard will still available to CoPilot unless you make the changes I detailed.

As for editing the registry, since there are freeware editors available which will allow you to perform the task, there is no excuse not to use one.

I use PHM Registry Editor v0.70 which works on my PPC, but the author appears to have disappeared, and many sites links to it are therefore broken. NB the download area does contain a version of PHM registry editor, but it is only v0.64.

I assume that there will be other freeware editors.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Neil01's keyboard modification since he posted it. 8)

I have had no side effects and, judging by BMWBiker's contribution, I won't. Thanks to both these forum members for the information. Smile
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
weirdfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent :D

What with this and Kens routing fix, my major gripes are sorted Smile

If only I had a 'no guidance' mode I'd be well satisfied.
shinyplastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One very minor side effect.

Everytime you now load CoPilot it resets your default keyboard to "keyboard" (I usually use "Letter Recogniser" in other applications i.e. Notes).

You simply have to reselect your prefered keyboard the first time you use another application after CoPilot.
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for TrevorFowler - I disliked the red flag for the finish point as well, so I took your suggestion

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/NigelO/DSCF0222.jpg]chequered flag finish[/url]

Also (back on topic), I too hated the "ABC" style fat finger keyboard, until I noticed a "QWE" key near the bottom right corner.

Guess what it does?[/url]
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - that'll teach me to try and be smart with URLs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/NigelO/DSCF0222.jpg

much easier Rolling Eyes
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't I edit my posts?

Anyway, a bit more to add to my comments above....

It seems the QWERTY fat finger keyboard will only work in landscape mode

Portrait, showing ABC style

Landscape, showing "QWE" button, bottom right
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigelO wrote:
Also (back on topic), I too hated the "ABC" style fat finger keyboard, until I noticed a "QWE" key near the bottom right corner.

Guess what it does?

Which sub version of CoPilot 6 are you using, and on which screen(s) does it appear? I can't find any trace of a "QWE" key anywhere on mine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: