Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Paypal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Paypal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Paypal Reply with quote

I want to subscribe using paypal but it does not seem to be in place yet.
Can you confirm when this facility will be available.
Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're working on it but I don't have an update as to when this will be in place. However, Nochex does not require you have any account with them and is easier (I'm a PayPal user too!) than PayPal so why not use that?
dwaugh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a paypal user too so why would i want to create even more accounts online took me years to start using paypal due to security issues . how hard can it be to make a paypal account and link it ..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwaugh wrote:
im a paypal user too so why would i want to create even more accounts online took me years to start using paypal due to security issues . how hard can it be to make a paypal account and link it ..

If you had read my reply you will see that you do not need an account to use Nochex.

We have a PayPal account, the issue is in the linking of payments to users accounts on our site which we are working on. Without this we would have to manually verify every payment for which we simply do not have the manpower.
GrimReaperUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: paypal v's nochex Reply with quote

Hi,
I read here that Nochex is easier than Paypal... how??... its not letting me pay for subscription.... yet my Paypal account works fine using the same card... it tells me some details incorrect, which is tosh... the details are always the same... so someone please tell me how Nochex is better??... its great , just spent the last 40 mins going round in circles.... and still cannot get a subscription, I do not want to wait to make payment via cheque / postal order... whole point of coming here was to sign up, and download the recommended speed camera database.... to use this week........ surely someone could have set up a Paypal account by now... it takes minutes if that... look forward to the sarcastic remarks... especially from those who have had no trouble, and downloaded the speed camera database, so dont realise how annoying it is, when things Dont Work..... Grim.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said many times already, we HAVE a PayPal account but we have to set-up a system that records payments and matches them to a user account with our site. This is the issue that is taking more time to resolve then we had anticipated.

Yes a great many have subscribed without issue, a few have had problems but that is to be expected.

We're working hard to resolve this and have the PayPal option available ASAP.
GrimReaperUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to Darren Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, we can see that there is an issue with paypal , so why does Nochex fail??... I run a small business on well known site, using Paypal as option... rarely fails.... and never took an eternity to set up... why is Nochex causing these problems?.... it should be accepting payments, instead it returns an " incorrect details" error 24 message....

How many more people are getting frustrated by this, its our Credit card, our details... our cash in account... our correct info... and then Nochex slaps it...??.. Thats all we are asking, like you say, we do not need a Nochex account... just click here, fill the details in.... then... urhh urhh... failed.... when all we want is the file..... we are not trying to con anyone... rip anyone off... we are prepared to pay..... and cannot....

I know your working hard to resolve it..... its just frustrating ...all this hastle for a small tiny file..... that probably started life free..........but overheads cost... so I have no problem helping support site etc... just be nice to click pay and it works.......registration worked in less that 20 seconds......
Grim Evil or Very Mad
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grim,

I promise you, we share your frustration.

As someone who has run/helped to run websites since 1995, I know that PayPal is a payment system where a huge amount of people go to pay and then back out because of the perceived complexity of having to join up etc.

In my experience this is less of a problem with other systems. I acknowledge, that once you have jumped over the hurdles that PayPal initially put in place, for most people, it is an acceptable and workable system. I also acknowledge that many people dislike PayPal with a passion.

Many Internet companies (the majority?) won't even consider using it as a second choice for payment, let alone first choice.

To help you understand where we stand on the issue please see my comments from another thread:

Quote:
We decided to let people know that they would soon have a choice of payment if they wished in the future. We (obviously mistakenly!) thought this was the polite thing to do. We may even introduce further payment systems that we are currently investigating. Should we not announce our intentions of which systems these are in case we get attacked again for doing so?

We were genuinely only trying to be helpful by letting people know what was coming in the future. Sorry it has upset you so much.

...and

Quote:

When we made the announcement about membership almost 100% of people who commented about payment method asked us not to use PayPal (bad experiences I guess). This was the main reason we launched with Nochex.

However, we decided that choice was king hence the announcement that PayPal will follow. PayPal though has proved to be problematical when it comes to integrating with our system, hence the delay.

Since launch we have received lots of feedback from people who actively want to use PayPal. This is just to reassure you that we are working tirelessly to make sure that you can in future.

All I can do is apologise for the annoyance and reiterate that we are working on PayPal's integration into what is an extremely complicated membership and download system. Unfortunately it isn't a quick and easy copy and paste job.

I know that MikeB, who, like the rest of us at PocketGPSWorld.com, is currently working 18 hours a day and tearing his hair out trying to get the system up and running, wishes it was copy and paste!

We are all preparing to go to the Cebit exhibition in Hanover for a few days starting Wednesday, so I know that MikeB is desperate to get it ready by then. Wish him luck! Smile

Rest assured, we want to keep everyone happy on the forums and we certainly will never knowingly put barriers in place to stop someone becoming a member.

BTW, This was only the second glitch we've heard about with Nochex and the other one was sorted out almost immediately. Other website owners will be nodding in recognition when I say that isn't always necessarily the case with PayPal. That said, overall PayPal is an invaluable addition to the Internet and many people have no problems whatsoever using its system.
norfolkman47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Subscribe by PayPal - still NOT working! Reply with quote

Quote:
We are all preparing to go to the Cebit exhibition in Hanover for a few days starting Wednesday, so I know that MikeB is desperate to get it ready by then. Wish him luck! Smile

Wouldn't Mike have been better off staying here and sorting out this PayPal problem? It is so frustrating when you want to buy something but the retailer has not put in place ALL of the payment services that they advertise.

I also read at the beginning of March that you would be getting PayPal up and running by the following weekend - its now 18th March and its not happening!!

Sorry to rant on but I do NOT want to use Nochex (I note that you keep PUSHING it!)- my PayPal account works fine thank you!

You have decided to turn the Speed Camera Database into a business so perhaps you should prioritise a little better.

Please no sarcy replies - remember that without subscribers your new 'Business' will not succeed.

Thanks for your time to read this but I just want to pay my subscription (via Paypal) and download the database!

Norfolkman47
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Subscribe by PayPal - still NOT working! Reply with quote

norfolkman47 wrote:
Wouldn't Mike have been better off staying here and sorting out this PayPal problem?.

CeBIT is an essential part of PocketGPSWorld.com - we are a magazine and to not send journalists to a show such as CeBIT would be unthinkable. For those that don't know, CeBIT is the most important and most attended (500,000) tech show in the World.

Also, it is crucial to network within our own industry to collect information and review copies, and, of course, ideas for the future of the site. CeBIT will always be one of our highest priorities. Additionally, we exhibited at CeBIT for the first time this year. We we're invited by the Government to help represent UK business at the show. Our visitors expect us to visit CeBIT every year and this was reflected by our stats increasing by a third during this period.

norfolkman47 wrote:
It is so frustrating when you want to buy something but the retailer has not put in place ALL of the payment services that they advertise.

We do not advertise it.

As a courtesy, we state that it is coming soon. The majority of websites wouldn't even entertain offering PayPal to their customers as an option.

norfolkman47 wrote:
Sorry to rant on but I do NOT want to use Nochex (I note that you keep PUSHING it!)- my PayPal account works fine thank you!.

Why ever not? It's a standard internet payment system that is used by millions and easier to use than initial PayPal sign ups. You don't have to be a member of Nochex in case you didn't know.
Moopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Speed camera Sub... Reply with quote

Hi All,

here is an idea. How about they just drop the sub idea and let us download the database for FREE, like it used to be several months ago !

I dont mind paying for the database, but why the sudden change to charge us for a servce that was FREE for such a long time...
TROOP3R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Used Paypal so must be working now Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, we finished final testing yesterday. The PayPal option is now fully working and available.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: