Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 recent "faults" with my i3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 recent "faults" with my i3?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry mhb but how is that example inconsistent? you had different destinations each time... obviously you'll get different routes with different destinations Rolling Eyes

MaFt
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that the M6 services were on the route between home and Dundee given at Christmas and so if the unit had been consistent it surely ought to have taken me to this same service station by the appropriate part of same route not an entirely different one.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
The point is that the M6 services were on the route between home and Dundee given at Christmas and so if the unit had been consistent it surely ought to have taken me to this same service station by the appropriate part of same route not an entirely different one.

Pragmatically, all I think you're going to get in response by some, here, being "Why are you being so daft as to use the i3 for routes you know?" and "Don't dare criticise the i3, because it's a budget gps - if you wanted something better you should have spent more."

Heaven forbid you should expect the core functionality to be on the money, or dare to criticise in case the gods of GPS that favour Garmin will smite us with deadly lightening.

Personally, I'm with you on this - and it's in some ways encouraging knowing that the behaviour of my i3 isn't a one off.

But this has given me more reason to believe that there may be some software flaw (given some of the firmware history, hasn't routes been addressed at some point) - either that, or something as a community that we just don't understand, yet.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

"Why are you being so daft as to use the i3 for routes you know?" and "Don't dare criticise the i3, because it's a budget gps - if you wanted something better you should have spent more."

Thats not a very nice attitude Lester Wink
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

"Why are you being so daft as to use the i3 for routes you know?" and "Don't dare criticise the i3, because it's a budget gps - if you wanted something better you should have spent more."

Thats not a very nice attitude Lester Wink

Someone pass me the asparagus.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, let's stop this getting personal and get back to the point of the topic ;)

MaFt
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sincere apologies to all, it was meant as harmless fun, my apologies Lester Embarassed
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On further reflection I suspect that Lester's suggestion (also referred to by Ash10 earlier in this thread) that not knowing the complete algorithm by which a route is calculated is the root cause of this apparent problem.

I say this because in my own quoted instance of apparent inconsistency it occurs to me that I was taken over the Forth Bridge and around Edinburgh ring road at a time of comparatively low traffic density whereas on the journey up such a route would have coincided with a time of high traffic density. After all the Edinburgh route was marginally better so maybe anticipated traffic and time of day is taken into account. Who knows!
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
I was taken over the Forth Bridge and around Edinburgh ring road at a time of comparatively low traffic density whereas on the journey up such a route would have coincided with a time of high traffic density. After all the Edinburgh route was marginally better so maybe anticipated traffic and time of day is taken into account. Who knows!

My wife was taken through London rather than around the M25 the other day, it was about 9:30pm on a Sunday evening so the traffic was light. She was a little perplexed but faithfully followed the suggested route which got her to Crystal Palace just as quick as if she'd gone the normal M25 route. Would have been a whole other story had it been 5pm on a Friday afternoon, the i3 would probably have been thrown out of the window.

I'd be even more amazed at the i3 if it has some sort of time based intelligence built in that consciously changes the routing algorithm depending on the time of day and hence assumed traffic density.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey! Check out the handbags swinging in the Garmin Forum! Great entertainment!

If you started on your drive every day and navigated to the same favourite and it gave you a different route from time to time then I would consider that an inconsistency. If you introduce extra variables like waypoints, etc then that will probably affect the route. Was the alternative route considerably longer than that of the first one? i.e. an hour longer?

I find that with various GPS proggies, a startpoint as little as 1mile on a straight road can make a difference. I think unless we get to see what the coder who wrote the program does with the data from the maps at time of route calculation we'll never know but I can confirm that other proggies do the same. Currently using Destinator PN and got stuck yesterday. Due to boredom I tried tapping the screen and selecting recalculate. Did it a few times over about 3miles and got a couple of different routes.

I'm no expert so all is guess work but perhaps the system does a quick 'sweep' of the area for major roads within a certain distance then extends it and so on. If that was the case then a movement of a few hundred yards could put that first hop to a major road out of reach and lead to a recalculation. pure guessology.

But I'm sure this isn't unique to Garmin and Tom Tom Nav 5 sometimes gives a different return route.

As for the naving on roads you know, I do it. But I don't get upset if I know a better route. Its just maths inside the unit. I live in a rural area and there are some fast B-roads which all programs ignore. If you know them then yippee. But I don't get upset that my GPS hasn't driven down them while I'm asleep and checked them.
Holux GPSslim
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
Crikey! Check out the handbags swinging in the Garmin Forum! Great entertainment!

Thankyou - Thankyou - We aim to please Cheers!
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:

As for the naving on roads you know, I do it. But I don't get upset if I know a better route. Its just maths inside the unit.

Not little pixies then?
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a filthy lie, I tell you - the pixies said to tell you that they're not your friends any more and will likely take you via Penzance next time... 8O Twisted Evil

Aitch
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun Shoot Out Pistol Shoot Out ...to the little blighters!!!! Hang on though... i live in penzance!!.. Aww Bless em, my little friends! Jumping With Joy Stop! Jumping With Joy
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: