Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 recent "faults" with my i3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 recent "faults" with my i3?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

And anyway - that's a pointless distraction to the question of why the i3 should not behave consistently.

My point exactly - A pointless distraction, navigating on known routes, seems pointless if its distracting you pointlessly!

Get the point! 8)
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LB,

Of course i suspect that Skippy has the right idea regarding abnormal routing, try this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

seems plausible
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Going to bed - cant figure out why people use gps for known routes Rolling Eyes

ditto!

if you know the route but think you may have to make a detour then just have it on map mode. then if you DO need a different route once you've set off then it's no hardship to press the button then go to where to, faves and your destination... that way if there are no detours needed then you don't keep getting interupted with the know-it-all lady telling you directions you already know.

MaFt

Thanks MaFt... a fellow user that sees sense! Cheers!
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

And anyway - that's a pointless distraction to the question of why the i3 should not behave consistently.

My point exactly - A pointless distraction, navigating on known routes, seems pointless if its distracting you pointlessly!

(heavy sigh) It's not distracting me pointlessly - it's clearly pointing out to me - and others - that over regular, identical journeys, the i3 isn't providing consistent results.

Maybe you'd like to bury your head in the sand and ignore that, maybe you'd like to be sufficiently arrogant that if you can see no point to something, then there is no point in it.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Get the point! 8)

I wish you were making one - however, as it stands, I fear you just wish to needlessly bicker about something that either you don't want to hear about, or are being foolishly arrogant to state it shouldn't be of importance.

If it's so pointless to you - then why have you responded to this thread, numerous times?
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect,

Whilst i agree there is a somewhat state of confusion as to why the unit should offer varying routes for the same destination from an exact start point surely once you pass the first difference on that route then the unit will re-route to the more 'logical' route known.

I cannot explain as to why the unit would offer such variances but can only suggest (as others have) that you either;-

1, Do not use routing
2, Put up with it
3, Email Garmin

It would be interesting to discover the reasoning behind it, but im certain no one will lose sleep over it.

Again with respect, lets be grateful that we get what we pay for, we opted to purchase a unit that met our budgets, for everything else the unit has to offer then surely we can tolerate this slight 'flaw' -should that be the rational explanation.

And just for the record, bickering is what my pupils do at school, as an adult i like to deem it as a topical discussion.

Regards
J
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
With respect,

Whilst i agree there is a somewhat state of confusion as to why the unit should offer varying routes for the same destination from an exact start point surely once you pass the first difference on that route then the unit will re-route to the more 'logical' route known.

Perhaps. But I'm TRYING TO ESTABLISH WHETHER THIS IS A FAULT!

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
I cannot explain as to why the unit would offer such variances

I didn't ask YOU to. I asked whether other people had experienced it, or perhaps knew of a valid reason.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
but can only suggest (as others have) that you either;-

1, Do not use routing
2, Put up with it
3, Email Garmin

I have already done number 3.

And I have another option: ask the community of users, whether they've experienced the same. Which you seem determined to subvert, for some peculiar reason.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
It would be interesting to discover the reasoning behind it, but im certain no one will lose sleep over it.

Then don't - in fact why are you even bothering to reply - you've clearly stated you have no idea about it, you don't experience it, and are decidedly not interested in it.

Why subvert other people discussing it? It's phenomena encountered by i3 users, I'm trying to establish whether this is something I should be returning my i3 to Garmin about. And my reasoning being that if it's unable to produce consistent results, then that's quite basic, quite fundamental functionality.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Again with respect, lets be grateful that we get what we pay for,

What ABSOLUTE rubbish. I paid good money for a device, that should do it's basic functionality, correctly and consistently.

Not for a device that as it's relatively inexpensive, I should cut it a break - this is it's core functionality.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
we opted to purchase a unit that met our budgets, for everything else the unit has to offer then surely we can tolerate this slight 'flaw' -should that be the rational explanation.

I bought a budget sat nav, to do simple sat nav activity. I'm not complaining about more advanced features - I'm merely expecting it to do it's core function, acceptably.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
And just for the record, bickering is what my pupils do at school, as an adult i like to deem it as a topical discussion.

Regards
J

The salient difference, is that you deem it acceptable to wade into a debate and tell other people that what they are doing or expecting is unreasonable.

Quite patently, it isn't. This is core functionality.

I like the i3 as a budget GPS sat nav - after all, I've bought 2 of them - and I haven't got unrealistic expectations of what it should do. But I do expect it should do it's core function well and consistently, and I won't apologise, nor be an apologist for complaining about it not doing that.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if im wrong, but you seem a little wound up!

Heres a thought, have you tried both units together, side by side, to the same route, is at least one of them consistent?
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Forgive me if im wrong, but you seem a little wound up!

I've only been annoyed about behavioural commentary regarding whether it's required to use the i3 in such a manner, and the suggestion that I should be grateful, as it is cheap, and shouldn't criticise.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Heres a thought, have you tried both units together, side by side, to the same route, is at least one of them consistent?

The other unit is my father's, so no, I haven't tried running 2 units side-by-side.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe worth a try then surely this will ascertain unit fault?
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the usual road length/speed weighting, it's possible that the i3 is using other variables to help decide a route.

For example, during peak hours it might place less emphasis on major roads in an attempt to avoid congestion. Similarly, if it can't see many satellites it might avoid very minor roads to try to keep in the open with better reception.

But then again, it might not... Rolling Eyes
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
In addition to the usual road length/speed weighting, it's possible that the i3 is using other variables to help decide a route.

For example, during peak hours it might place less emphasis on major roads in an attempt to avoid congestion. Similarly, if it can't see many satellites it might avoid very minor roads to try to keep in the open with better reception.

But then again, it might not... Rolling Eyes

There is something peculiar I have noted - when I get to either end of the journey, with my i3 inside, and GPS turned off, the unit does seem to (very much in the main, although there have been some anomalies) produce consistent results.

However, skipping forward a few hours to when I actually use it in the car, the previous route it had calculated with the GPS turned off, isn't what it then calculates from the same effective start point.

Now as you mention, time of day is different at that point, plus satellite lock will be in-place - I say that as I tend to switch my i3 on when I first get in the car, then do all the other stuff, and eventually when my i3 has acquired, I then opt to get it to start navigating.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on good authority that the tiny magic pixies living in the unit sometimes feel like a change of scenery - could that be it? Laughing

Aitch
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
I have it on good authority that the tiny magic pixies living in the unit sometimes feel like a change of scenery

Where is their mind, eh? ;-)

Kudos, if you get the reference.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixies 8)

Aitch
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now finding the i3's seeming lack of consistency rather annoying.

At Christmas I used it to take me to Dundee from home on the Shropshire/ Herefordshire border. I simply entered the destination postcode and from home it took me by the route I would normally have chosen. (A49/M56/M6/M74 to Glasgow then M80/A9/A90 to Dundee) At the end of my stay it took me home again by exactly the same route.

This last weekend I again visited Dundee but by this time I had entered a couple of M6 & M74 motorway service stations as favourites and so navigated to each in turn. The result was, as anticipated, by exactly the same route as at Christmas.

However on the way back home as I didn't intend to visit the M74 service station I set the unit to take me straight to the M6 service station. It did just this but this time it took me via Edinburgh and the A702 down to the M74. From this point all seemed to be back on track but then from the M56 it took me to home via the A5 rather than the A49. On both occasions I was past the point of no return (i.e. too late to take the required motorway exits) before realising what was happening.

In fact the alternative routes proved equally as good as the originals and if anything a little faster. However because of the risk of traffic holdups I would never have chosen to go via the Forth Bridge and the Edinburgh ring road.

I suppose there is no alternative in future but to review all routes before starting but this will be a real time consuming nuisance and one made necessary only because of the i3's apparent lack of consistency.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: