Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 recent "faults" with my i3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 recent "faults" with my i3?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: 2 recent "faults" with my i3? Reply with quote

I've noticed, over time, that my i3 - given consistent start and end points (home and work location) and consistent i3 settings (route preferences and navigation options) that regaularly, my i3 provides differing routes.

I can understand it not using a route I may personally, favour - but this isn't a case of that, it's a case of doing the same route, daily, and regularly it opting for different combinations of motorway routes.

Also, on volume level 3, the higher pitched bong, seems to be a bit rattly or reverberates a little. None of the other sounds seem to have those tendencies - and this is using the power lead (I only rarely use just batteries).

Anyone else have similar issues, or noted these kind of things?
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 recent "faults" with my i3? Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
I've noticed, over time, my i3 provides differing routes.

it's a case of doing the same route, daily, and regularly it opting for different combinations of motorway routes.

Also, on volume level 3, the higher pitched bong, seems to be a bit rattly or reverberates a little. None of the other sounds seem to have those tendencies - and this is using the power lead (I only rarely use just batteries).

As for the route, assuming you get there no later then no probs, enjoy the variety - BUT Why are you using sat nav for a route you know? Embarassed

Seems daft dont it!
Confused 8O
Also, as for the boing thing, try a hard reset, it cures many upsets!
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 recent "faults" with my i3? Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
I've noticed, over time, my i3 provides differing routes.

it's a case of doing the same route, daily, and regularly it opting for different combinations of motorway routes.

As for the route, assuming you get there no later then no probs, enjoy the variety - BUT Why are you using sat nav for a route you know? Embarassed

Seems daft dont it!

Not really - I use it in navigation mode, mainly because it's a fairly long route via motorways, that on occasion may have traffic issues. Now whilst I may know the motorway routes just peachy, if I get diverted either optionally because of heavy traffic, or forcibly (because of closure, as has happened only a week or two back) I have an easy option of how to still get where I'm going - because I'm in navigation mode.

Why is that daft?

That's exactly why I use it for commuting - as opposed to occasional journeys to places I don't know the route for. That and camera warnings (I get that it doesn't need to be in nav mode for that).

Anyway - we shouldn't be apologists for the technology, if we assume it's reliable, then why NOT have it navigating - on longish journeys, you never know when you are going to need to divert - now sure, you could stop, mess around with it and start navigating, or even try and do that whilst your moving, but it's easiest to have it navigating - and at little cost at the start of the journey.

My point remains - why would it calculate differing routes, given the same start and end points, and the same settings?

Surely either that points to there being a fault with mine, or a fault with the i3 generally?

It's not like I'm arguing that the i3 should choose the route I would take - per se, I'm simply arguing it should take the route it chooses, consistently.

ride4smilesjonny wrote:

Also, as for the boing thing, try a hard reset, it cures many upsets!

Won't a hard reset wipe any custom saved points (ie my favorites)?

I know easygps will enable me to back them up, but I'm a bit wary of having to play around with any data on my i3, in case that somehow has had some bearing on the foibles.

Besides, this seems more a physical symptom.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electing to take different routes when all parameters are the same would surely seem to indicate a software fault.

However bearing in mind that under certain conditions the calculated position (via GPS) can be considerably out maybe the unit doesn't acknowledge that the start point is the same each time.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb,

im certain ive read on the forum some time ago of a similar boing problem, and if my memory serves me im sure it was corrected with a hard reset.

Sure use software to back up your POIs, point is if you suspect unit error then the i3 has to go back - right? So POI lost anyways! Try it, you have nothing to lose!

As for covering regulay journeys whilst navigating i appreciate your wisdom, sometimes the unit helps over come boredom.

Unsure of the routing though, maybe shes showing you many new ways, educating you for times of i3 absence - bless her :D
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
Electing to take different routes when all parameters are the same would surely seem to indicate a software fault.

However bearing in mind that under certain conditions the calculated position (via GPS) can be considerably out maybe the unit doesn't acknowledge that the start point is the same each time.

A reasonable proposition, which I have considered.

But surely it would have to be way out, to alter the route - I'm not talking about slight differences, locally, at the start of the journey. I'm talking about taking different motorway options / junctions towards the middle of the journey.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
As for covering regulay journeys whilst navigating i appreciate your wisdom, sometimes the unit helps over come boredom.

Well for me, it's not the boredom thing - it's more the ease of being able to react to any detours - enforced, or otherwise

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Unsure of the routing though, maybe shes showing you many new ways, educating you for times of i3 absence - bless her :D

I just expect consistency, there - in the same way as I would with multi-map or autoroute.

The odd thing is that it can calculate different routes on the unit, when I've turned off the GPS. So I can set a start point, set an end point, and get a certain route. A couple of days later, doing the same I can get an alternate route.

Neither route being "wrong" - both being reasonable alternatives - it's just that when it offers differing results, it's not giving me confidence - it's not like it's got any feedback loop like TMC to work with.

Added to that, over time, it's suggested the occasional funky route, and I'm wondering how healthy my i3 is.
gilesme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that at the start of my journey (within a mile) sometimes I get pointed one way, sometimes another.

This morning I had two I3s running.... someone in the office got one and asked if I'd download the December speedcameras and update the firmware for her.

Although an 8 mile journey - initial ETAs were different by 2 mins. Voice directions were slightly different, and with slightly different timings.

Only difference was my unit was on the dash, hers was on the front seat. I wonder if slight differences are due to the numbers of satellites / quality of signal the I3 can "see" Question
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Journeys Reply with quote

I agree, it is not pointless or daft to use a GPS for regular - or known - journeys. I have done this for several years. Being is sales where I cover a mainly set area, I know the towns, but often not the individual streets, and especially the way to them if I come from different directions each time. Hence my main GPS use, however, I almost always use it back "to base" because a) I like the unit running, b) it gives me a ETA and c) you get a quicker fix next time you switch on if you switch it off near the same location as you switch it back on

Regarding the different routes, I use the Garmin Nuvi which surely has a similar routing algo. as the i3. I think the issue may lie in when the unit gets it's "fix". Ie. if you start off each day and day 1 it finds it's fix near one junction, and day 2 at another point, a different route (of similar timespan) may be chosen, because it is simpler. Just a theroey of mine! Laughing based on my experiences with gps
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to bed - cant figure out why people use gps for known routes Rolling Eyes
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Bed Reply with quote

Hope you don't need your i3 to get there...?
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'marge' may come in handy, had one too many sherberts me thinks, g'night all 8O
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:

ditto!

if you know the route but think you may have to make a detour then just have it on map mode. then if you DO need a different route once you've set off then it's no hardship to press the button then go to where to, faves and your destination... that way if there are no detours needed then you don't keep getting interupted with the know-it-all lady telling you directions you already know.

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
ride4smilesjonny wrote:

ditto!

if you know the route but think you may have to make a detour then just have it on map mode. then if you DO need a different route once you've set off then it's no hardship to press the button then go to where to, faves and your destination... that way if there are no detours needed then you don't keep getting interupted with the know-it-all lady telling you directions you already know.

MaFt

The thing is, if you do need to detour, you can have to either stop, or try and fiddle with the i3 whilst your driving to get it to start navigating. Or maybe, be lucky that you are stopped at an opportune time to start it navigating.

I'm talking about journeys of a reasonable distance, where I may know the main route just peachy, but wouldn't really have that much of a clue about the route if I got detoured - ie no local knowledge.

More to the point, why not?

And even more to the point, why shouldn't the i3 behave consistently?

Should we be apologists for the i3 or it's technology and question the behaviour of the user - almost as a defensive distraction - or consider whether everything is completely peachy in the garden of good and evil?

The fact remains - and numerous people have pointed out similar findings - either the i3 can be quite inconsistent in it's route calculations, or there's a whole deal of i3s out there with faults.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:

Both I and another user has explained why we use it for driving on known routes - and given reasoned rationale behind that.

If you've read both my explanation, and that of the other poster, and you can't understand that, either you should take more water with it, or there's no hope for you.

And anyway - that's a pointless distraction to the question of why the i3 should not behave consistently.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: