Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin i3 nuy or not??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin i3 nuy or not??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now - it' not like they're building new Motorways every few months - is it?

Basically, we live in a society that accepts that all electrical / tech purchases are 'consumables' - apparently the refresh cycle for mobiles and laptops is now as little as 3 months 8O

I say 'bite the bullet'...

Aitch
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well now - it' not like they're building new Motorways every few months - is it?

Hardly. I read recently that the bureaucracy in this country means it now takes 2 years to build a 14 mile stretch of motorway.

It took the Romans the same amount of time to build 140 miles....
otisb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about plases like nottingham they have built new roads so my sat nev will try to go over a shop!!
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep the mapping fresh surely in a couple of years time you can buy a current copy of city select Europe, admittedly (at current pricing) costing more than the i3 itself, and a new Transflash card.

As it covers all of Europe including the UK you'll then have up-to-date map data? Maybe I'm missing something?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
Basically, we live in a society that accepts that all electrical / tech purchases are 'consumables' - apparently the refresh cycle for mobiles and laptops is now as little as 3 months 8O

I couldn't agree more - just because something isn't the latest version, it isn't automatically rendered obsolete and worthless. It just makes it cheaper! Smile

The number of people banging on about V8 maps would make you think that V7 maps are hoplessly out-of-date and useless. I haven't had a problem with mine, and neither have many many others.

Any map, be it printed or electronic - will be out-of-date by the time you lay your hands on it. The same goes for your "latest" technology - there's usually at least two new generations in the pipeline when a "new" product hits the shelves.

Personally I'm not a big fan of consumerism, as being a "new" product often detracts attention from whether it's actually any good. The i3 *is* good - go buy one... ;)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the life of any sat nav system - how many all-in-ones have some form of subscription for map updates?

As to the support from Garmin - well Garmin seem quite reasonably thought of in terms of product support.

Sure, there may not be much more development in terms of software or firmware - but who cares? It's a budget sat nav system that does what it does well.

If it goes wrong, I suspect you won't find any problem getting it fixed.

As to the map updates, you'll be no worse off, than choosing any other make.

Previously, I used a 2001 version of Autoroute, and a road atlas in my car from 2001.
otisb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
my friend has told me to get the mitac 169 yes its about £50 more but he said i can run all the tomtom maps and most of the others to.
can any one fill me in on this one???
otisb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i ment a mitac 168 Embarassed
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otisb wrote:
hi
my friend has told me to get the mitac 169 yes its about �50 more but he said i can run all the tomtom maps and most of the others to.

I would be *very* surprised if you could buy a new Mitac Mio with genuine TomTom Navigator for under 150 quid... Rolling Eyes
otisb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
otisb wrote:
hi
my friend has told me to get the mitac 169 yes its about �50 more but he said i can run all the tomtom maps and most of the others to.

I would be *very* surprised if you could buy a new Mitac Mio with genuine TomTom Navigator for under 150 quid... Rolling Eyes

i was thinking getting on from ebay there about £170
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:

It's not the new motorways I am worried about, in London they are redesigning roads and introducing new restrictions at a fearsome rate and that causes routing problems.

That said, most of the map errors that annoy me aren't due to recent changes - the roads have been that way for at least 5 years and Navteq haven't updated their maps. :x
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otisb wrote:
Ash10 wrote:

i was thinking getting on from ebay there about �170

Without software.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought the i3 from Maplin, and can confirmthat the units being shipped are v8 maps and 2.7 firmware. I did not want to spend much but wanted a basic system that will get me from a to b and put me in the right local area. I have only played with it for a day, but already I love the unit. I have talked to some others where I work who have units costing twice to three times as much and they all like the i3.

Maplin have sold over a hundred units this weekend alone (checking stock levels) so Garmin must be doing something right.

It is big plus for my first SatNav system. Laughing
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
I have just bought the i3 from Maplin, and can confirmthat the units being shipped are v8 maps and 2.7 firmware. I did not want to spend much but wanted a basic system that will get me from a to b and put me in the right local area. I have only played with it for a day, but already I love the unit. I have talked to some others where I work who have units costing twice to three times as much and they all like the i3.

Maplin have sold over a hundred units this weekend alone (checking stock levels) so Garmin must be doing something right.

It is big plus for my first SatNav system. Laughing

Welcome and well done for getting the undoubtedly best value for money in the GPS world.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i shall sum this up for you i have shoed the i3 in action to the owner of a £600 sat nav owner and even he was impressed by it and is thinking of getting one. its small and fits in your pocket and you can set psv / lorry / car / motorbike / on he settings it does well in central london and gets u where you want to go. so i say 9 out of 10 go out and buy one

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: